Fast break offense is back. Richt wants to go uptempo

...The tempo Richt wants to operate is a stark contrast to the plodding pace Miami (and Georgia) used last season. The Hurricanes ranked 92nd in drives per game, 83rd in offensive snaps and 82nd in time of possession per play. Georgia was tied or worse with Miami in each category.

"I do want to go high tempo and have very few moments between a play," Richt said. "As soon as the play is over or even before, I’m pretty much knowing what I’m going to call. I want to get it out before Brad looks to the sideline...

Certainly a major shift in philosophy from what the Canes O unit has done the past few years.

Its important to note, however, that slow vs uptempo O, in the case of Miami, probably wont be the significant source to an increased plays per game count. The big reason Miami has been so dismal in that regard is two-fold: 1) no ability to consistently sustain drives, and 2) no ability to stop opposing O drives to give Miami's O the ball back.

Just address those two glaring shortfalls, and slow or uptempo O, Miami's plays ler game metric should improve dramatically.

If Richt is as successfull as he wants with uptempo, it might actually lead to a slight decrease in plays per game due to the cascading effect of wearing down the opposing Ds and getting more quick strike scoring opportunities later in the game.

Either way, the forecast is expected to be sunny in Coral Gables for the first time in a long time.

Maybe bring back Patrick Nix??? Hahaha

Well, the last coaching staff literally said the reason why the defense was struggling because the offense was scoring too quick. Like literally, he got mad at the offense for scoring tds, lol

Advertisement
If true it's the best news we've heard in a long time. Exhaust opponents,and take advantage of your biggest strengths--a Heisman caliber QB and enormous pass catching talent.

Somewhere along the way under Butch David our fans became convinced that UM should be a power based team that slows the game down and pounds the run. That's not really playing to our recruiting strength any more than Folden's fat slow reactionary defense played to our strengths.

I'd be sick to my stomach to see Richt go out there with a Heisman QB and try to take the fcking air out of the ball. He'd be showing me right away that he doesn't really get what this program should be about.

Do you see Clemson taking the air out of the ball with Watson? Time for UM to quit playing scared and trying to grind out 3 point wins and sneak out the back door.

Fair argument and ur right......i wanted butch for recruiting that was it lol and i like that power O that bama runs they still get top flight wrs and they dont need qbs. Happy with MR though so far recruiting especially.

If true it's the best news we've heard in a long time. Exhaust opponents,and take advantage of your biggest strengths--a Heisman caliber QB and enormous pass catching talent.

Somewhere along the way under Butch David our fans became convinced that UM should be a power based team that slows the game down and pounds the run. That's not really playing to our recruiting strength any more than Folden's fat slow reactionary defense played to our strengths.

I'd be sick to my stomach to see Richt go out there with a Heisman QB and try to take the fcking air out of the ball. He'd be showing me right away that he doesn't really get what this program should be about.

Do you see Clemson taking the air out of the ball with Watson? Time for UM to quit playing scared and trying to grind out 3 point wins and sneak out the back door.

I totally agree.

Unfortunately, Richt is talking about having a balanced attack and pounding the ball to set up the pass. This team's OL will not support pounding the ball down people's throats. This team is set up to be prolific passing. I hope that Richt does not take the ball out of Kaaya's hands. But, I fear the worst.

I think he's going to put the game in Kaaya's hands. He knows what he has with Kaaya. Richt has a history of riding his horses. We'll run the ball, but the game will be in Kaaya's hands.

For comparison, Baylor ran 85 ppg, Clemson and Oklahoma 81 ppg, Houston 80. Tulsa was tops with just over 86 ppg.

I totally agree.

Unfortunately, Richt is talking about having a balanced attack and pounding the ball to set up the pass. This team's OL will not support pounding the ball down people's throats. This team is set up to be prolific passing. I hope that Richt does not take the ball out of Kaaya's hands. But, I fear the worst.

I think he's going to put the game in Kaaya's hands. He knows what he has with Kaaya. Richt has a history of riding his horses. We'll run the ball, but the game will be in Kaaya's hands.

I think/hope we'll see a lot more RPOs with Richt. Many of his quotes lead me to believe that Kaaya will come to the line with 2 or even 3 potential plays, and he can run or pass as he sees fit based on what he's reading.

Advertisement
It would be nice to see them run the ball on third and inches and not lose a yard. A power running game doesn't mean you have to slow it down and grind out low scoring games. Alabama and Wisconsin would very much disagree to that idea. You don't need to go spread every down to run up tempo either. They desperately need more balance. The running game was pathetic last season.

It would be nice to see them run the ball on third and inches and not lose a yard. A power running game doesn't mean you have to slow it down and grind out low scoring games. Alabama and Wisconsin would very much disagree to that idea. You don't need to go spread every down to run up tempo either. They desperately need more balance. The running game was pathetic last season.

A major reason why Miami's plays per game has been awful...coupled with the even worse inverse...having the D get the opposing O in 3rd-short and giving up yet another first down...

Richt is a proven game day coach, I trust until shown otherwise, that he will call the right balance for what the situation is calling for. Remember (most of the time), both air and ground games set each other up for even greater success.

Richt has several assets at his disposal and will use them appropriately.

So I take it our players won't be standing with the hands on their hips and gazes to the sideline prior to every play?

A faster tempo will help our 3rd down conversion rate too because it'll stop all the constant defensive substitutions and packages and will keep the defense on its heels. When you give defenses and defensive coaches too much time to prep for every play they're going to do a better job stopping you.

Advertisement
A faster tempo will help our 3rd down conversion rate too because it'll stop all the constant defensive substitutions and packages and will keep the defense on its heels. When you give defenses and defensive coaches too much time to prep for every play they're going to do a better job stopping you.

That's one thing I'm really looking forward to. If you combine an up-tempo philosophy with Richt's natural decisiveness as a playcaller you can keep the same defensive personnel on the field for a full drive. Even if you don't always come away with a TD, by the 4th quarter those guys will be GASSED.

It'll help that the blatantly obvious formations and play calling of James Coley are gone. Two tight ends and a fullback in the game? 100% chance it's a run. Spread them out with 4 receivers and Kaaya in the shotgun? Pass every time.

That's one thing I'm really looking forward to. If you combine an up-tempo philosophy with Richt's natural decisiveness as a playcaller you can keep the same defensive personnel on the field for a full drive. Even if you don't always come away with a TD, by the 4th quarter those guys will be GASSED.

And assuming you have the lead, them being gassed allows you to "pound the rock" when you need to at the end of the game.

It'll help that the blatantly obvious formations and play calling of James Coley are gone. Two tight ends and a fullback in the game? 100% chance it's a run. Spread them out with 4 receivers and Kaaya in the shotgun? Pass every time.

That's why I love the idea of Kaaya coming to the line with 2-3 plays and seeing more RPOs. Keeps the defense from stacking the box pre-snap every time we trot a fullback onto the field, etc.

Advertisement
OP left out most important quote, to
me:

"As a third-year starter, Kaaya will have a lot of input and freedom at the line of scrimmage. Richt will often call a combination play for Kaaya, giving him two options out of the huddle. ------There won’t be any looking to the sideline for Richt’s call, as he said his role largely comes during the week instructing Kaaya how to approach different schemes.-------There will be times Kaaya will need to completely audible out of the play, too."

Shades of Aaron Murray...

Kaaya was smartest guy on the field last year and would have called better game by himself. Mark will do wonders with this kid. They are well made for each other.

Another-nother thing that a faster tempo will do is slow down a pass rush and mask some of our OL deficiencies - as will the overall "shallow cross" concepts that Richt loves to employ in the passing games (short drops, quick reads, etc.)

Another-nother thing that a faster tempo will do is slow down a pass rush and mask some of our OL deficiencies - as will the overall "shallow cross" concepts that Richt loves to employ in the passing games (short drops, quick reads, etc.)

Petrino annilihated Shannon with that many years ago in the OB. We couldn't get to LeFors or Brohm in that game despite our awesome DL. He took 3 step drops all night and just picked us apart with those shallow crossing patterns. Gave everyone for the rest of that season a blue print to fck us.

Advertisement
Oh man. Coach Macho would be in all his glory right now. He brought this to the board right after Richt got hired. He told us he knew a guy in Georgia who knew Richt. Richt wanted to run the fast break at UGA but that wasn't SEC football and the Georgia AD wanted no part of it.

That's why I love the idea of Kaaya coming to the line with 2-3 plays and seeing more RPOs. Keeps the defense from stacking the box pre-snap every time we trot a fullback onto the field, etc.

Its hard to explain this type of stuff to the Dolts who don't understand X's and Os.

This is why I cant respect Dirty Sprites comments on Kaaya because if he understand how Bad Coley was then he would see how great Kaaya is too even have stats in that deplorable system.

Petrino annilihated Shannon with that many years ago in the OB. We couldn't get to LeFors or Brohm in that game despite our awesome DL. He took 3 step drops all night and just picked us apart with those shallow crossing patterns. Gave everyone for the next ten years a blue print to fck us.

FIFY.

Probably had something to do with the unmatched stable of RB Butch put together. Nothing wrong with being able to run the ball but I agree that with a QB like Brad you have got to go with him. I would like to see him under center much more. It will keep defense more honest, and IF we run the ball, that is the way we always ran best. Kaaya will be doubly effective if he masters fake handoffs and pitches.

Advertisement
Back