Fast break offense is back. Richt wants to go uptempo

If true it's the best news we've heard in a long time. Exhaust opponents,and take advantage of your biggest strengths--a Heisman caliber QB and enormous pass catching talent.

Somewhere along the way under Butch David our fans became convinced that UM should be a power based team that slows the game down and pounds the run. That's not really playing to our recruiting strength any more than Folden's fat slow reactionary defense played to our strengths.

I'd be sick to my stomach to see Richt go out there with a Heisman QB and try to take the fcking air out of the ball. He'd be showing me right away that he doesn't really get what this program should be about.

Do you see Clemson taking the air out of the ball with Watson? Time for UM to quit playing scared and trying to grind out 3 point wins and sneak out the back door.

I agree this was my biggest question if he would bring back a version of the Fast Break. Glad to hear we will be speeding it up and he already said earlier this year he hates the check with me crap. Tire everyone out with our speed. Finally excited for UM football again.

Advertisement
Ridiculous and expected that this came from a national writer. Not one local guy thought to ask Richt the pace he wanted to play at considering he was going back to calling plays.

I hear that SMD is working on an expose piece involving Coach Richt's favorite style of Panama Hat.

I'm still smh at SMD asking Shaq why the team considers FSU the biggest game on the schedule a couple weeks back. Her interview questions are downright painful to sit through.

Here are some quotes from the article:

The tempo Richt wants to operate is a stark contrast to the plodding pace Miami (and Georgia) used last season. The Hurricanes ranked 92nd in drives per game, 83rd in offensive snaps and 82nd in time of possession per play. Georgia was tied or worse with Miami in each category.

"I do want to go high tempo and have very few moments between a play," Richt said. "As soon as the play is over or even before, I’m pretty much knowing what I’m going to call. I want to get it out before Brad looks to the sideline."

Most of the play-calling won’t come Saturdays. During the week, he’ll set up a section on his play sheet for his favorite personnel groupings, favorite formations and a section for "dudes, guys who are ballers and playmakers who I got to have some plays for." Richt might script as many as 10 series, often times the first five plays with a handful of third-down options depending on the distance.

Calling plays again essential for Mark Richt to rebuild Miami - ACC Blog- ESPN

Get ready to watch FSU Part 2. No more losing to the Duke of the world.

I have used those two words ad nauseum on this site. Coley had no idea what this even meant and guys want brad to throw more than 16 tds and come thru in the clutch with bubble screens.

Richt the Righteous

If true it's the best news we've heard in a long time. Exhaust opponents,and take advantage of your biggest strengths--a Heisman caliber QB and enormous pass catching talent.

Somewhere along the way under Butch David our fans became convinced that UM should be a power based team that slows the game down and pounds the run. That's not really playing to our recruiting strength any more than Folden's fat slow reactionary defense played to our strengths.

I'd be sick to my stomach to see Richt go out there with a Heisman QB and try to take the fcking air out of the ball. He'd be showing me right away that he doesn't really get what this program should be about.

Do you see Clemson taking the air out of the ball with Watson? Time for UM to quit playing scared and trying to grind out 3 point wins and sneak out the back door.

The "pound the rock" crew has always mystified me.

Here's the thing - you can be a run-first offense and still go up-tempo and air it out. My analyses of Richt's various offenses speak a bit to that, as does his tenure as OC at FSU. Make no mistake, Richt wants to run the football. That doesn't necessarily mean a "ground and pound" approach though - his 2000 FSU team rushed for 165 ypg, for example.

OP left out most important quote, to
me:

"As a third-year starter, Kaaya will have a lot of input and freedom at the line of scrimmage. Richt will often call a combination play for Kaaya, giving him two options out of the huddle. ------There won’t be any looking to the sideline for Richt’s call, as he said his role largely comes during the week instructing Kaaya how to approach different schemes.-------There will be times Kaaya will need to completely audible out of the play, too."

Advertisement
...The tempo Richt wants to operate is a stark contrast to the plodding pace Miami (and Georgia) used last season. The Hurricanes ranked 92nd in drives per game, 83rd in offensive snaps and 82nd in time of possession per play. Georgia was tied or worse with Miami in each category.

"I do want to go high tempo and have very few moments between a play," Richt said. "As soon as the play is over or even before, I’m pretty much knowing what I’m going to call. I want to get it out before Brad looks to the sideline...

Certainly a major shift in philosophy from what the Canes O unit has done the past few years.

Its important to note, however, that slow vs uptempo O, in the case of Miami, probably wont be the significant source to an increased plays per game count. The big reason Miami has been so dismal in that regard is two-fold: 1) no ability to consistently sustain drives, and 2) no ability to stop opposing O drives to give Miami's O the ball back.

Just address those two glaring shortfalls, and slow or uptempo O, Miami's plays ler game metric should improve dramatically.

If Richt is as successfull as he wants with uptempo, it might actually lead to a slight decrease in plays per game due to the cascading effect of wearing down the opposing Ds and getting more quick strike scoring opportunities later in the game.

Either way, the forecast is expected to be sunny in Coral Gables for the first time in a long time.

Maybe bring back Patrick Nix??? Hahaha

Here's the thing - you can be a run-first offense and still go up-tempo and air it out. My analyses of Richt's various offenses speak a bit to that, as does his tenure as OC at FSU. Make no mistake, Richt wants to run the football. That doesn't necessarily mean a "ground and pound" approach though - his 2000 FSU team rushed for 165 ypg, for example.

Beat me to it. preciate ya

Guys like William Floyd and Zach Crockett are laughing at the majority of things being said in this thread.

You can have balance and ground and pound along with having a high tempo offense. Balance is key.

Advertisement

We can still run prostyle and pound that ***. We used to score in 12 ******* seconds anyway.

We ran less than 70 plays/game last year (good for 96th place in all of CFB...) If we can get 6-8 more plays in per game that would push us to the top-30. Even 5 more ppg would put us on par with Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St., et al

Correct. You can run the ball very effectively without being in tight formations and bleeding the clock and being a "pound the rock" type Big 10 circa 1980 team.

I'll never advocate being a throw it every down team. But I prefer running out of more spread out formations where there's more space like Baylor and Houston do. Oklahoma does it too. So does Clemson.

Advertisement
OP left out most important quote, to
me:

"As a third-year starter, Kaaya will have a lot of input and freedom at the line of scrimmage. Richt will often call a combination play for Kaaya, giving him two options out of the huddle. ------There won’t be any looking to the sideline for Richt’s call, as he said his role largely comes during the week instructing Kaaya how to approach different schemes.-------There will be times Kaaya will need to completely audible out of the play, too."

Shades of Aaron Murray...

...The "pound the rock" crew has always mystified me.

The philosophy of "3 yds and a cloud of dust" has probably seen better days in light of current atheltes and D schemes.

With that said, elite teams need to be able to effectively pound the rock at the moment of their choosing...something our Canes havent been able to do in forever.

Just airing it out because thats what kind of athlete comes to Miami isnt sustainable for long term Ws or NCs.

There needs to be a good balance to use whatever attack option the situation calls for.

Advertisement
We ran less than 70 plays/game last year (good for 96th place in all of CFB...) If we can get 6-8 more plays in per game that would push us to the top-30. Even 5 more ppg would put us on par with Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St., et al

I'm not looking to be top 30. I want to be top 10. Take advantage of your strength--Kaaya.

I'm not looking to be top 30. I want to be top 10. Take advantage of your strength--Kaaya.

Oh I agree, just pointing out that it really wouldn't take much to pull us out of the dregs.

As long as we do not do that "check with me" crap. That just makes "fast" slow anyway. Brad should be perfect with Mark for this. Good brain.

he has said repeatedly that the "check with me" crap removes the advantage of fast tempo and that he wont use or require it.

I totally agree.

Unfortunately, Richt is talking about having a balanced attack and pounding the ball to set up the pass. This team's OL will not support pounding the ball down people's throats. This team is set up to be prolific passing. I hope that Richt does not take the ball out of Kaaya's hands. But, I fear the worst.

Advertisement
Back