Official Fall PractiSe #9 Monday Aug 15

This thread is looking like NFL training camp

CMDrEWuUYAE53B0.jpg

Advertisement
Hold up. What did I say that was even “homer adjacent”, let alone 15-0. I predicted we’d lose to TAMU. If I had to pick I’d say we go 9-3, but win totals aren’t really my thing. I also don't think you can fully offset inept WR play with TE production. But yeah otherwise I’m a homer.

On the other hand we have people out here saying the WRs alone will cost us 4 games. That’s hyperbolic.
Ok...

we have "homer adjacent" and "hyperbolic" in the same porst.

WTF is going on in here?

You aint much better than a troll. Mentally undeveloped. On here all day continously responding to people opinions you don't like with childish insults. Because everyone is supposed to be a cult follow the leader. Notice I try my best to ignore your post. I lose IQ points reading the **** your write. Next time I'll put you on ignore and we won't ever have to cross words again. Simple. I'm not worried about it....equals u mad. Think about that.
Not gone pretend like imma read this.

The rankings are projecting college success. it makes total sense to give a guy a bump in projection when he goes somewhere with a good track record of recognizing talent, developing talent, winning football games, and getting guys drafted. The same kid is more likely to have college success at a factory school like Bama or OSU than he is at Vandy or northwestern. It is more likely he will be an all American, make the playoff, and get drafted, because that is what kids at top tier schools do.

You guys are making a conspiracy out of something that should be obvious. The college coaches are the best scouts, the ranking websites should be relying HEAVILY on what schools offer and sign kids, much more so than their staff writers.

Advertisement
Don’t tell anybody but Rambo actually dropped quite a few passes for us last year. He just caught so many, we didn’t care as much.
The difference is volume...

Rambo dropped a lot of passes but got a high volume of targets, therefore his drops didn’t outweigh his catches.

If a WR has drops issues but gets 100 targets he can still realistically catch 50+ passes.
But if you cut those targets in half, the production is cut in half as well, it’s simple math.

Rambo dropped a lot of passes but got a high volume of targets, therefore his drops didn’t outweigh his catches.

If a WR has drops issues but gets 100 targets he can still realistically catch 50+ passes.
But if you cut those targets in half, the production is cut in half as well, it’s simple math.
The people that don't understand football will miss this. They also believe you can just turn it on for games 😵‍💫.

Advertisement
According to Stock at ITU, Knighton also has the drop bug. Parrish the most comfortable and consistent, Chaney 3rd (in terms of pass catching). Thad behind the 3.

Not sure if anyone wants to confirm or rebuke, just putting it out there.
I think Rivals put out an article today specifically mentioning Chaney catching the ball very well so 🤷

Advertisement
Hold up. What did I say that was even “homer adjacent”, let alone 15-0. I predicted we’d lose to TAMU. If I had to pick I’d say we go 9-3, but win totals aren’t really my thing. I also don't think you can fully offset inept WR play with TE production. But yeah otherwise I’m a homer.

On the other hand we have people out here saying the WRs alone will cost us 4 games. That’s hyperbolic.

My sarcastic post was in response to this from you: "The one bad nugget one week into camp, literally the only thing negative anyone has said, is WRs are having some issues with drops. CIS:"

You know you can't have a team full of WRs with stone hands less than 3 weeks out from kickoff and be confident they'll turn it around. Kids either come in with soft hands, or they take many months of reps to overcome whatever mental issues are causing the drops. Rambo was an exception. Harley took the entire offseason to get better, and he still had a few drops.

Anyway, I'm not really calling you out. Just friendly banter. It is what it is at this point.

Advertisement

[To be clear, this isn't necessarily directed at you. Just using your post to address a broader topic.]

"WR- No change at the top from spring- the top guys are Mike Harley, Charleston Rambo, Keyshawn Smith and Xavier Restrepo. Harley is devastating in the slot due to his combination of vertical speed and quickness. Rambo needs to catch the ball more consistently. Smith made a big play in the second scrimmage and has the best releases on the team. He also needs a bit more consistency and understanding of the position. He's the best overall athlete, though. Restrepo makes plays every day and is a favorite target of all three QBs. He is quick and smart like the best slot receivers, but also brings added YAC value due to his RB build."

The bolded above is from last year's Fall camp recap. (Found here: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/post-camp-thoughts-long.170440/)

In terms of build and speed, he certainly didn't look like that #1 WR being mentioned we need (and, yes, of course we need a superstar WR; everyone should aim for one). He wasn't overly tall, well-built, or "fast." Rambo got the ball fed to him by King like 8-10 times during the MSU 1st half, but really started to look like what we knew him to become after the UNC game. That was halfway through the season. 1st half of season: 35 catches for 422 yards. 2nd half of the season: 44 catches for 750 yards.

What happened after the UNC game? Some have said Likens put his touch on the offense. Don't know if that's true. We do know they focused on what TVD did best. We widened some of the splits. We opened up the pass game. We isolated some of our WRs far outside the hash. Rambo, specifically. We took advantage of TVD's cannon. TVD didn't really make complex reads and we underutilized the middle of the field. But, he and Rambo put up big numbers. Yes, the first half of the season included Bama and UNC, but the second half included some relatively decent CB/Defenses as well.

Is there an Andre Johnson bigtimer in our current WR group? Doesn't look like it. Is there a guy on the current team as good as 22 year old Rambo? Probably not, but it's difficult to predict when talent will pop. George and Brinson, specifically, were True Frosh, so it's difficult to compare them to a 22 year old focused on making his $ during last season. Are there a few guys who can get open against some of the ACC opponents the same way Rambo did post-UNC? I think so. Will we utilize some of those sets and space? Very few know, I'd guess.

I say let's give it a minute and, once the games begin, let's see what happens with the offense's focus. And, which WR, if any, is given the opportunity on the outside. Things can look very different depending on the focus.

Like becoming a prolific jump shooter; u don’t become that shooting 100 shots every other day; u putting up 500+ shots daily, at different angles, different distances so it becomes vision, muscle memory.

Jerry Rice talked about how he struggled early on in his NFL career w/ drops, so that dude put in more work than everyone else. Practice is cool, but these dudes need to be behind the jug machines on their own for some hours on a daily basis.

NIL deductions for drops, etc. These kids have no reason to be dropping the ball against the air. No excuses for that **** other than laziness.

Advertisement
Back