Official Fall PractiSe 2: August 6

Advertisement
I Mario hitting the portal to add another big body receiver after spring ball doesn't light a fire under Ladson's ***, maybe nothing will.
My concern regarding the receivers is the ACTIONS of the staff. Adding another receiver late while missing on their top targets to prospectively portal in, and Gattis' recent comments about looking for SPEED. Is there a conclusion to be drawn from that about the existing room?
Thought #12 was a speedster? His route running? Can he play on the outside? Does the staff privately view this wr corp. as 'a bunch of 'guys'? Separation going to be an issue?

There’s plenty of film on Porter to watch and he’s nowhere close to TS, not in the same universe. I’d even say Couch and Blades are as good or even maybe better. Couch is perfect for this system and could breakout. Imo Porter is a solid to pretty good player, but takes a lot of chances so be prepared. He’ll definitely get a lot of burn but if he’s our best cover guy we’re f’d lol.

I wasn’t vouching for porter as the best lol just saying how do we know without pads and in a new system learning new techniques whos the best, I think we will get that answer with real live action

I mean am I wrong? I get it it’s good for the fans. I wish I could be there and meet the players and get autographs. But I also understand they are college kids and would rather enjoy their weekend in the city or on their boats
I'm sure they'd also love to sleep in until noon after being up all night playing video games and gorging on pizza....except they are college football players for a major program and the occasional fan engagement is part of that.

Advertisement
This group of Canes DBs look very good — the best group of Canes DBs I have seen in over a decade.

This DL group also looks very good. The transfers really beefed up the DL room. And the size and agility of #6 is just WOW!

They haven’t put on pads or played any downs yet, so I will put my glass of orange and green Kool-aid on the table for now, but I they definitely pass the eye test

Maybe it’s just me but I think our defense is going to make a huge turnaround this year.

DB’s are filthy with SFL speed and we got depth.
LB’s can’t be worse plus we got 3 new talented guys to push the room(Wesley, Caleb and Chase)
DL got an extreme infusion of talent and gonna be attacking in droves..

I’m very excited about our defense and actually more concerned about the offense this year.
They should be significantly better due to the added depth this offseason & coaching experience.

Adding Daryl Porter Jr along with the Frosh Jaden Harris & Chris Graves, plus the emergence of Isaiah Dunson gives us legitimate playable depth that leaves a thin margin of error for bad coverage; meaning, if the incumbent vets don’t improve there’s entire lineup behind them who are actually more physically gifted & probably better suited for this Defense anyhow who can replace them.

The LB group has primarily been a personnel issue more than anything, if Caleb J, Wes Bissainthe & Chase Smith are your top 3 with Gil Frierson & Ke Smith essentially playing as the Hybrid Nickel at the STAR spot then you have a solid enough group that can move in space & make plays on the ball at the 2nd level. As long as we’re not depending on cinder-block feet backers or walk-ons to take serious snaps in games the LB group should improve.

The DL has the most depth on the Defense & has the ability to be significantly revamped in Run Defense, it’s simply a matter of which ones among the group steps up which particular role. The pass rush will likely be manufactured unless one dominant pass rusher sets himself apart, but otherwise we have a lot of versatility on the DL & at least 5-6 guys that can play both DT & DE.

The Safety group presents a very good mix of athleticism & IQ, Steele can get very creative with 3-High Safety looks & mix up coverages & shells considering the trio we have. A majority of the best Defenses in college football last year played with 3 Safeties with having a Big Nickel Sub-package, including Clemson, Cincinnati, Baylor, ISU & OK St.

All the Defense really has to do to be successful this year, is a reinforce the weak spots with speed & athleticism, the complexity of scheme in particular make take some time to be fully integrated, but as long as they don’t handicap themselves with bad personnel choices they should work pretty well in due time.

They should be significantly better due to the added depth this offseason & coaching experience.

Adding Daryl Porter Jr along with the Frosh Jaden Harris & Chris Graves, plus the emergence of Isaiah Dunson gives us legitimate playable depth that leaves a thin margin of error for bad coverage; meaning, if the incumbent vets don’t improve there’s entire lineup behind them who are actually more physically gifted & probably better suited for this Defense anyhow who can replace them.

The LB group has primarily been a personnel issue more than anything, if Caleb J, Wes Bissainthe & Chase Smith are your top 3 with Gil Frierson & Ke Smith essentially playing as the Hybrid Nickel at the STAR spot then you have a solid enough group that can move in space & make plays on the ball at the 2nd level. As long as we’re not depending on cinder-block feet backers or walk-ons to take serious snaps in games the LB group should improve.

The DL has the most depth on the Defense & has the ability to be significantly revamped in Run Defense, it’s simply a matter of which ones among the group steps up which particular role. The pass rush will likely be manufactured unless one dominant pass rusher sets himself apart, but otherwise we have a lot of versatility on the DL & at least 5-6 guys that can play both DT & DE.

The Safety group presents a very good mix of athleticism & IQ, Steele can get very creative with 3-High Safety looks & mix up coverages & shells considering the trio we have. A majority of the best Defenses in college football last year played with 3 Safeties with having a Big Nickel Sub-package, including Clemson, Cincinnati, Baylor, ISU & OK St.

All the Defense really has to do to be successful this year, is a reinforce the weak spots with speed & athleticism, the complexity of scheme in particular make take some time to be fully integrated, but as long as they don’t handicap themselves with bad personnel choices they should work pretty well in due time.
Not to take this extensive thought out post and drill it down to one little detail but adding to the secondary, Couch last year it was almost inexplicable how different he looked

No way he plays like that again this year. Rique, Porter, Couch…it’s a solid group there with the young guys capable of turning up the heat when they bullets go live

Advertisement
Not to take this extensive thought out post and drill it down to one little detail but adding to the secondary, Couch last year it was almost inexplicable how different he looked

No way he plays like that again this year. Rique, Porter, Couch…it’s a solid group there with the young guys capable of turning up the heat when they bullets go live
I’m not really a believer in Couch, but the overall point is, there’s enough bodies to where there shouldn’t be any weak-links within the CB group at all.

I’m not really a believer in Couch, but the overall point is, there’s enough bodies to where there shouldn’t be any weak-links within the CB group at all.
Feels that way with the DL as well

Not sure if there’s anything top tier there, but we’re not gonna just have bodies out there just trying to snap up reps to give the main guys a breather

You know when those guys go out there and you immediately know where the play is going

L knows I’m a huge Couch fan. He’s gonna be a problem this year!

Advertisement
I fully expect all the defensive players to improve. Not improving somewhat would indicate that player is not coachable with this coaching staff in place. This does not mean I think this defense will be elite but expect a good bit better than last year

I am sure they can handle it. But all I said is that the players would rather be doing a number of other things. Like that’s not an absurd thing to say
Like many things that lead to growth, it may not be as meaningful from a distance but it's something you appreciate in the moment and won't forget when it's done. College is about exploration, growth, and developing professional traits irrespective of what players would rather be doing.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I know you left Stevenson out but what about cinderblock Ivey. Over/under 3 starts?

I’m just so **** happy that football is back. I think my canes get 8 wins and my jags get 4, but I’m just thrilled the best game in the world is back.

Advertisement
Back