Official Fall PractiSe #18 Thurday August 25

Was trying my best to temper expectations on Kelly. Since Cristobal got me back into recruiting, Kelly was the first guy who popped at me. As a DE, liked him even more than Stewart (when everyone was all in on Moe's dude). Cristobal is trying to hype us up beyond reason. Not gonna do it, coach. Nope.

[evidence of no bs]

View attachment 205378
Ideally we would have landed both but, no sour grapes, if I had to pick one it would have been Kelly

But like you said if Stewart ends up an elite 3T like he’s capable that’s kind of a game changer

But I still think Kelly is as close to a sure thing as you get

Advertisement
So realistically how many classes we talkin?
I'm not Cribby, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a few times. 2 high-level crootin classes + some top notch portaling are bare minimum along with much better player development which I think is now pretty much in place staff wise.

Nah Manny knew what players it would take, he just didn’t have the ability to secure those types of players.
Yeah, recognizing who the best guys are is easy. Tired of coaches getting a pat on the back for knowing who’s good. You get your back pat when you land the right kids.

Advertisement
You should inform the NFL they are doing it wrong then!!

NFL's highest paid players by position (average annual salary):​

The game has changed, and contrary to your and @DMoney opinion, you need big time WR's to win a NC now. It's not 2011 anymore.
Championship level teams always needed talent at the skill positions. In the playoffs, for the most part, they're going against championship level defenses.
It's why Nick Saban went and grabbed a 4.2 Forty WR from LVille, and took UGA's #1 WR. If he is going to beat Ohio State and that QB and set of WR's for the NC.. he needs to keep up on the scoreboard. His defense won't keep them under 35-40 regardless how many war daddies he has at DL.
Sabans not a good example to prove your point. They were already stacked in their two deep on both sides of the line by the time he recruited them. That was his initial focus when he first got to Bama.
In 2020 Georgia had the same defensive personnel as this past year including Jermaine Johnson and Tyrique Stevenson.

Mac Jones threw for 417 yards, Alabama had over 500 yards of offense and scored 41 points.

Smith and Waddle combined for 17 catches for over 300 yards and 3 TD's.

You can take this to the bank, Miami will
Get better in the trenches under Mario, but will not win a NC until we have a big time WR like 1st round type talent.
I don't know what your point is. If you're going against a championship level defense, of course you need championship level of talent to match up against them.

3 elite classes are almost an entire roster. So why would we still be behind?
CIS forgets Mario went TO the shoe & *** ****ed Ohio State last year. CIS forgets Texas ATM beat Bama last year. They love putting these teams on a pedestal. In reality we aren’t nearly as behind as people think. They think that bc our coaching the last 20 years made it seem that way. Miami with real coaching is closer then people think. That will be seen shortly. It’s going to be eye opening & I can’t wait.

Advertisement
Championship level teams always needed talent at the skill positions. In the playoffs, for the most part, they're going against championship level defenses.

Sabans not a good example to prove your point. They were already stacked in their two deep on both sides of the line by the time he recruited them. That was his initial focus when he first got to Bama.

I don't know what your point is. If you're going against a championship level defense, of course you need championship level of talent to match up against them.
Saban isn't a good coach to prove my point?

What? Dude was a game manager QB, coach, strong running game, and defense for his first half of his Bama tenure.

He went Air Saban after his tussles with Ohio State and early with Clemson where he came out on short end a few times.

He had scrubs like Greg Mcleroy, AJ Mccarron, Blake Sims, and John Parker Wilson.

Now he has 3 straight first round picks at QB, and airs it out.

I explained my point in detail.

Saban isn't a good coach to prove my point?

What? Dude was a game manager QB, coach, strong running game, and defense for his first half of his Bama tenure.

He went Air Saban after his tussles with Ohio State and early with Clemson where he came out on short end a few times.

He had scrubs like Greg Mcleroy, AJ Mccarron, Blake Sims, and John Parker Wilson.

Now he has 3 straight first round picks at QB, and airs it out.

I explained my point in detail.
No, he’s not. You start telling someone (that believes you start in the trenches) to tell the NFL they’re doing it wrong and cite salaries which after QB, 3 of the next 4 are in the trenches. Then compound it by using Saban as an example.

Saban in fact did the opposite. He rebuilt the trenches first and cherry picked a few WRs to go with them. He didn’t stack elite WR 4 to 5 deep until 10 years into his run.

Then as if you’ve proved something you state the obvious that if you want to be a championship team going against a championship defense, you need elite WRs.

No kidding!

Last edited:
No, he’s not. You start telling someone (that believes you start in the trenches) to tell the NFL they’re doing it wrong and cite salaries which after QB, 3 of the next 4 are in the trenches. Then compound it by using Saban as an example.

Saban in fact did the opposite. He rebuilt the trenches first and cherry picked a few WRs to go with them. He didn’t stack elite WR 4 to 5 deep until 10 years into his run.

Then as if you’ve proved something you state the obvious that if you want to be a championship team going against a championship defense, you need elite WRs.

No kidding!
I'm not sure What are you talking about? Saban changed his football philosophy. He clearly did. I'm not sure how that is so hard to understand.

He clearly values QBs and WRs as much as any position if not more. That wasn't the case 10 years ago.

No kidding!
Saban is on record that he had to "adapt or die" and changed his offense as a result.. Things got kinda stale and he saw the rule changes he was asking for werent gonna happen so he adapted to more passing.. The premium being placed by WR has been documented the last couple years and its not a surprise teams like OSU, LSU, Okla, Bama, Clemson seemed to have a monopoly on top guys..

This doesnt diminish the importance of the trenches, but you better be able to pass the ball unless you plan on looking like Mich in playoffs..

Advertisement
Saban is on record that he had to "adapt or die" and changed his offense as a result.. Things got kinda stale and he saw the rule changes he was asking for werent gonna happen so he adapted to more passing.. The premium being placed by WR has been documented the last couple years and its not a surprise teams like OSU, LSU, Okla, Bama, Clemson seemed to have a monopoly on top guys..

This doesnt diminish the importance of the trenches, but you better be able to pass the ball unless you plan on looking like Mich in playoffs..
The changes Saban's adapted to are the style of offenses: from RB based to WR based. And stating the WRs have been placed at a premium over others (except QB) clearly diminish the trenches as was implied by the NFL avg. salaried by position. A lot of teams have adapted (or tried to adapt) but those that are successful are already established in the trenches.

This change in offensive style is not the first change and won't be the last. The one constant is that teams that dominate in line play (on both sides) will win most of their games. And it will always be that way as long as they're still playing tackle football.

Last edited:
I'm not sure What are you talking about? Saban changed his football philosophy. He clearly did. I'm not sure how that is so hard to understand.

He clearly values QBs and WRs as much as any position if not more. That wasn't the case 10 years ago.
This is utter nonsense. Don't mistake the fact that he's already established trench dominance and has the luxury of having balanced recruiting classes as meaning he doesn't value the line play as much. Saban's not stupid. If line depth were to drop off, watch how quick he'll switch gears and re-emphasize trench recruiting. That's what he did 10 years ago because the roster he took over from Shula was trash.

Advertisement
I remember watching the beginning of the championship game and wondering why isn’t Bama scoring TDs… that was with both those guys in the game.

CIS forgets Mario went TO the shoe & *** ****ed Ohio State last year. CIS forgets Texas ATM beat Bama last year. They love putting these teams on a pedestal. In reality we aren’t nearly as behind as people think. They think that bc our coaching the last 20 years made it seem that way. Miami with real coaching is closer then people think. That will be seen shortly. It’s going to be eye opening & I can’t wait.
Mario went to Osu and won because he’d been building a great roster the last three or four years. He had as good or better trenches. It’s not like that was the miracle on ice or something. The Osu’s , Bama’s and Uga’s are consistent because of all the talent and depth that’s been built over years. They can afford to lose a bunch of starters and still out talent people.

Mario went to Osu and won because he’d been building a great roster the last three or four years. He had as good or better trenches. It’s not like that was the miracle on ice or something. The Osu’s , Bama’s and Uga’s are consistent because of all the talent and depth that’s been built over years. They can afford to lose a bunch of starters and still out talent people.
I know buddy. I’ve been following this **** since I’m 9 years old & my uncles told me about James Jackson & why I should hate Notre Dame & Penn State. Guess what tho Crib. Part of being a fan is being delusional. If someone wants to think we can win the national title this year who are you or me to tell them we can’t?

Advertisement
Back