Official Fall PractiSe #18 Thurday August 25

Advertisement
Was trying my best to temper expectations on Kelly. Since Cristobal got me back into recruiting, Kelly was the first guy who popped at me. As a DE, liked him even more than Stewart (when everyone was all in on Moe's dude). Cristobal is trying to hype us up beyond reason. Not gonna do it, coach. Nope.

[evidence of no bs]

View attachment 205378
I was high on him when he was first offered, his athleticism & ability to dip around the corner against leverage vs OT’s is what separates & has accelerated his progress into becoming the next great Miami DE.

I first posted on Nyjalik back when he was still an underrated raw 3-star & even then as a Junior his upside was noticeable given his physical frame & his swift movement as a pass rusher with very little polish.

He’s got some BJ Ojulari to his game...

What positions would you consider contribute the most to wins in CFB?

For me, the top 3 is QB, OL, and DL.

If we can agree on the three positions, we can then look at the schedule and compare # of players at those positions VS our roster
Anger Rage GIF

Advertisement
I agree with those three positions. I know of 1 poster who says it’s WR’s.

View attachment 205379
Well other than anomaly of UGA last year( still had Burton and Pickens) look at previous NC's. And let's be clear Alabama was winning it last year with Jameson Williams and John Metchie before they got hurt, and it was because with Georgia's great front 7, they had no answer for those 2 WR's. Heck Alabama was going to win with just one of them in NC game until Williams went down.

Alabama 2020: Devonta Snith and Jaylan Waddle

LSU 2019: Jamaar Chase and Justin Jefferson

Clemson 2018: Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Renfrow

Alabama 2017: Calvin Ridley, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith

Clemson 2016: Mike Williams, Hunter Renfrow

Alabama 2015: Calvin Ridley

Was trying my best to temper expectations on Kelly. Since Cristobal got me back into recruiting, Kelly was the first guy who popped at me. As a DE, liked him even more than Stewart (when everyone was all in on Moe's dude). Cristobal is trying to hype us up beyond reason. Not gonna do it, coach. Nope.

[evidence of no bs]

View attachment 205378

@gogeta4

@LuCane totally agree with you. There were others who felt the same way.

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have a top 10 roster but I don’t think they’re too far off. We’re nowhere near the Georgia’s, Alabamas and Ohio State’s but like always, there’s a really big gap between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest of the country. Oklahoma State and Michigan State both finished inside the final AP top ten. Ole Miss was 11th. Utah and Pitt 12th and 13th. None of those teams has a significant talent advantage over Miami. It’s going to take a few recruiting classes to make that big jump into that top group but Miami is firmly in that second tier.
Exactly. The talent on this roster is likely somewhere between 12-20th nationally, which in most seasons should be good enough to win the ACC Coastal.

Advertisement
Well other than anomaly of UGA last year( still had Burton and Pickens) look at previous NC's. And let's be clear Alabama was winning it last year with Jameson Williams and John Metchie before they got hurt, and it was because with Georgia's great front 7, they had no answer for those 2 WR's. Heck Alabama was going to win with just one of them in NC game until Williams went down.

Alabama 2020: Devonta Snith and Jaylan Waddle

LSU 2019: Jamaar Chase and Justin Jefferson

Clemson 2018: Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Renfrow

Alabama 2017: Calvin Ridley, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith

Clemson 2016: Mike Williams, Hunter Renfrow

Alabama 2015: Calvin Ridley
That’s it. Now I’m getting @Ghandi.
FFC8C917-94A9-458A-B0CD-3C6510E4EE32.gif

Seriously though, if I’m building a team, I’m building it around dominant trenches and a qb 1st. I’m not starting with WR’s as my first or 2nd building block.

Advertisement
IMO, Miami will be a top ten team. Case in Point, the coaching staff is better, team improved via transport portal, the WR unit is better than the credit given. Two years ago this same forum was raving about the three WRs in that class. WoW, how quickly the base turned on them without giving them an opportunity to prove themselves. keep in mind, all are learning a new offense and it will all come together by game three.

That’s it. Now I’m getting @Ghandi.
View attachment 205399

Seriously though, if I’m building a team, I’m building it around dominant trenches and a qb 1st. I’m not starting with WR’s as my first or 2nd building block.
You should inform the NFL they are doing it wrong then!!

NFL's highest paid players by position (average annual salary):​

The game has changed, and contrary to your and @DMoney opinion, you need big time WR's to win a NC now. It's not 2011 anymore.

It's why Nick Saban went and grabbed a 4.2 Forty WR from LVille, and took UGA's #1 WR. If he is going to beat Ohio State and that QB and set of WR's for the NC.. he needs to keep up on the scoreboard. His defense won't keep them under 35-40 regardless how many war daddies he has at DL.

In 2020 Georgia had the same defensive personnel as this past year including Jermaine Johnson and Tyrique Stevenson.

Mac Jones threw for 417 yards, Alabama had over 500 yards of offense and scored 41 points.

Smith and Waddle combined for 17 catches for over 300 yards and 3 TD's.

You can take this to the bank, Miami will
Get better in the trenches under Mario, but will not win a NC until we have a big time WR like 1st round type talent.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back