Official Fall PractiSe #18 Thurday August 25

I know buddy. I’ve been following this **** since I’m 9 years old & my uncles told me about James Jackson & why I should hate Notre Dame & Penn State. Guess what tho Crib. Part of being a fan is being delusional. If someone wants to think we can win the national title this year who are you or me to tell them we can’t?
If a person says “I’m jumping out this window flapping my arms and will fly”. I’ll be like “ nah, you’re delusional“. But if people want to live in delusion that’s fine. I just try to live in reality to the best of my abilities.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Talent to make the playoff yes we are not close

Talent to win 10 games in the ACC? Sorry this team is plenty talented to do that.
Too many holes cost u meaningless games. I'm sure UNC fans feel the same FSU UF the list goes on. ACC is a toss up when u recruit the way we have and have that many holes. And when the HC says we need talent the man has seen talent.

247's last composite talent rankings (Oct '21) had us at 13.
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

I'm not sure what the board perception is. Probably varies wildly depending on what kind of point someone's trying to make.
Yea but u getting the rest 13 could be 25 when the cream of the crop is more accurate. The top contenders get the best and everyone else gets the scraps. Look at UF they getting a top 10 class possibly but it's a fools class the ones we used to get. Nothing top heavy nothing eye opening that makes opposing teams say "ok those guys are a threat on the trail" 4-5 star attatched to your name really doesn't mean anything if your not getting the sure fire one. It's all about evals. And so far 4-5 teams are doing it right based off last cycle. TAMU Bama OSU Clemson and OSU that's it. Oregon was doing it right and we took their guy.

Advertisement
If a person says “I’m jumping out this window flapping my arms and will fly”. I’ll be like “ nah, you’re delusional“. But if people want to live in delusion that’s fine. I just try to live in reality to the best of my abilities.
I mean I don’t think it’s to that degree but I understand what you’re trying to say lol We have what I think will be an elite D & an elite QB. I don’t think we can win the national title but I think we can beat anyone on OUR schedule.

Yea but u getting the rest 13 could be 25 when the cream of the crop is more accurate. The top contenders get the best and everyone else gets the scraps. Look at UF they getting a top 10 class possibly but it's a fools class the ones we used to get. Nothing top heavy nothing eye opening that makes opposing teams say "ok those guys are a threat on the trail" 4-5 star attatched to your name really doesn't mean anything if your not getting the sure fire one. It's all about evals. And so far 4-5 teams are doing it right based off last cycle. TAMU Bama OSU Clemson and OSU that's it. Oregon was doing it right and we took their guy.
I'm not sure what you mean in the first sentence. After that, it seems like you're arguing that only 5 teams get talent that's worth anything and that the difference between what everyone else gets doesn't mean much. I agree those 5 generally recruit best, but I don't see why talent can't be evaluated realistically on a scale where there is a gradual increase/decrease in ability just like the ranking numbers say. Surely it's not an all or nothing. As you say, it's "all about evals" which means that among those 3 and 4 stars there are some really good players that aren't snatched up by A&M, Clemson, Georgia, etc. Utah's success has to show some real recruit evaluations. We have 8 3-stars committed right now. Does that worry you about the class? When I look through the list of who they are, I remember the good things I've read here about their potential, but aren't fans everywhere doing the same?

Advertisement
If line depth were to drop off, watch how quick he'll switch gears and re-emphasize trench recruiting. That's what he did 10 years ago because the roster he took over from Shula was trash.
Sabans 1st championship was full of studs already on the team--- recruited by Shula.

To change the culture Shula (like Manny) had, was painful. That led to embarrassing loses Saban's year 1.

I half expect some of that here as well. I hope not, but it's logical to be optimistic--- but with caution.

We do have alot of talent, but the culture was as bad as with Shula's last Bama team. Thus, there could be rough patches this year while setting the stage for amazing things to come.

In Mario I trust

80aeb4ef-23b2-439e-8e5c-f260e6d9d63e_190443987167088.gif

Last edited:
Sabans 1st championship was full of studs already on the team--- recruited by Shula.

To change the culture Shula (like Manny) had, was painful. That led to embarrassing loses Saban's year 1.

I half expect some of that here as well. I hope not, but it's logical to be cautiously optimistic.

We do have alot of talent, but the culture was as bad as with Shula's last Bama team. Thus, there could be rough patches this year while setting the stage for amazing things to come.

In Mario I trust

View attachment 205797
People said that when Manny lost to Duke and FIU.
I think the portal has allowed us to have a different expectation than even ten years ago. You can change a culture/locker room in an off season. Look at our DL.
I won’t be surprised if we drop one we shouldn’t but I also expect us to win one we shouldn’t. 8-4 to me would be tough to take with this schedule.

I won’t be surprised if we drop one we shouldn’t but I also expect us to win one we shouldn’t. 8-4 to me would be tough to take with this schedule.
Every lose is tough to take.

We COULD go 15-0. That's what I'm hoping for.

We COULD go 8-4. That would be VERY disappointing, but would not change my excitement for the future.

I'm not sure what you mean in the first sentence. After that, it seems like you're arguing that only 5 teams get talent that's worth anything and that the difference between what everyone else gets doesn't mean much. I agree those 5 generally recruit best, but I don't see why talent can't be evaluated realistically on a scale where there is a gradual increase/decrease in ability just like the ranking numbers say. Surely it's not an all or nothing. As you say, it's "all about evals" which means that among those 3 and 4 stars there are some really good players that aren't snatched up by A&M, Clemson, Georgia, etc. Utah's success has to show some real recruit evaluations. We have 8 3-stars committed right now. Does that worry you about the class? When I look through the list of who they are, I remember the good things I've read here about their potential, but aren't fans everywhere doing the same?
Those teams get the talent that get them in the playoffs. I mean that's how it's been. Bama isn't just developing guys they are getting guys that are monsters that know how to play football. Some don't pan out but they stack so much the cream of the crop rises. Same goes with those other schools. Miami getting a James Williams (1 player) isn't going to some how win u a game against those types of teams. When we used to get a high rated player I used to see if the upper echelon really wanted the kid. If they didn't it's a red flag imo. I want the guys they want and that's what we are doing now. I want the popo's at lb that bama had on the top of their board. 4 stars that transfer out most of the time isn't hard to predict when u see who's really after them. The writing most of the time is on the wall with the way they are recruited.

I agree we can snatch up a player but those guys can't do it by themselves. U need a boat load of monsters that's the formula. U need 5 star OL and DL and every position that Smart and Saban want. U get those guys u weaken their roster over the years then u over take them. It takes time. With the roster we have now we can lose to teams that have "no business beating us" according to most fans which is total cap. This is how I look at things. If Cribby and those boys saying our roster isn't where it should be he's right. Which means we can lose games.

Advertisement
Those teams get the talent that get them in the playoffs. I mean that's how it's been. Bama isn't just developing guys they are getting guys that are monsters that know how to play football. Some don't pan out but they stack so much the cream of the crop rises. Same goes with those other schools. Miami getting a James Williams (1 player) isn't going to some how win u a game against those types of teams. When we used to get a high rated player I used to see if the upper echelon really wanted the kid. If they didn't it's a red flag imo. I want the guys they want and that's what we are doing now. I want the popo's at lb that bama had on the top of their board. 4 stars that transfer out most of the time isn't hard to predict when u see who's really after them. The writing most of the time is on the wall with the way they are recruited.

I agree we can snatch up a player but those guys can't do it by themselves. U need a boat load of monsters that's the formula. U need 5 star OL and DL and every position that Smart and Saban want. U get those guys u weaken their roster over the years then u over take them. It takes time. With the roster we have now we can lose to teams that have "no business beating us" according to most fans which is total cap. This is how I look at things. If Cribby and those boys saying our roster isn't where it should be he's right. Which means we can lose games.
I have no real diagreement here. If you have a composite 13 talent ranking and the number is accurate, you can certainly lose to a team or two with #22 talent and it shouldn't be some big surprise. I think what's become the traditional "no business beating us" rant around here is that a Miami with #10-15 talent shouldn't be dropping games to #35 or #42 on any regular basis and it seems like we've been doing just that for 15 years including that 48-0 whipping by Virginia in '07. Clearly the teams you mentioned are stacking incredible skill and depth that make them ridiculously hard to beat, I'm just saying that UM's guys, no matter how imperfect the roster, shouldn't really be an equivalent to a #30 squad. The ranking difference between those level of players should mean something.

Every lose is tough to take.

We COULD go 15-0. That's what I'm hoping for.

We COULD go 8-4. That would be VERY disappointing, but would not change my excitement for the future.
My concern would be that the recruiting would go to the crapper. I mean even the success we are having in recruiting is national. Still struggling with the locals, as I think they are in wait and see mode.

We go 8-4 with big losses to Clemson and A&M and the optic will be that nothing has changed. That’s what I would worry about.

If this staff is who we think they are, if TVD is who we think he is, I just don’t see how we lose 4. If we do, I’ll definitely be concerned.

I have no real diagreement here. If you have a composite 13 talent ranking and the number is accurate, you can certainly lose to a team or two with #22 talent and it shouldn't be some big surprise. I think what's become the traditional "no business beating us" rant around here is that a Miami with #10-15 talent shouldn't be dropping games to #35 or #42 on any regular basis and it seems like we've been doing just that for 15 years including that 48-0 whipping by Virginia in '07. Clearly the teams you mentioned are stacking incredible skill and depth that make them ridiculously hard to beat, I'm just saying that UM's guys, no matter how imperfect the roster, shouldn't really be an equivalent to a #30 squad. The ranking difference between those level of players should mean something.
the first Butch year, we had less true freshman, but it was still stacked with top 5 talent... but we finished (I believe) with 3 losses playing in a conference even weaker than the coastal--' the big east.

#13 talent is the equivalent of #5-#40 talent the way I think of it.

And, if you stop and think about it, almost EVERY TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL that doesn't finish in the top 8 bcs rankings, loses two or so games no fan of theirs' think they should have lost.

Advertisement
My concern would be that the recruiting would go to the crapper. I mean even the success we are having in recruiting is national. Still struggling with the locals, as I think they are in wait and see mode.

We go 8-4 with big losses to Clemson and A&M and the optic will be that nothing has changed. That’s what I would worry about.

If this staff is who we think they are, if TVD is who we think he is, I just don’t see how we lose 4. If we do, I’ll definitely be concerned.
I don't think you're right.

Kids will know our best talent is young, that we have a great staff, and that there's big wide openings <--- I want to do a spoiler for this but don't want to get in trouble :)

Last edited:
I don't think you're right.

Kids will know our best talent is young, that we have a great staff, and that there's big wide openings <--- I want to do a spoiler for this but don't want to get in trouble :)
No offense but that’s flawed logic. How could any WR or LB not look at our depth chart and not want in? And there have been a plethora of other times where other positions were in terrible shape and all we pulled were plan C/D guys.

There’s a terrible front runner/show me the bag mentality in SoFl and it’s not been Cane friendly.

I’m not trying to be right. I’m just projecting how I would see the shortfall of a season like an 8-4 or worse. I mean, dude look at the schedule for a bit. Are you basically ok losing to Pitt and FSU along with Clem and A&M? Or UNC that just gave up 24 to FAMU?

If, and it’s a big if, that happens with all that’s happened in the past 8 months. How could you not feel like we will still pumping sunshine? I just don’t see it. I don’t think it’ll happen which is why I’m on record at 9-3 for this year. But 10-2 is absolutely doable, even 11-1 IMO.

No offense but that’s flawed logic. How could any WR or LB not look at our depth chart and not want in? And there have been a plethora of other times where other positions were in terrible shape and all we pulled were plan C/D guys.

There’s a terrible front runner/show me the bag mentality in SoFl and it’s not been Cane friendly.

I’m not trying to be right. I’m just projecting how I would see the shortfall of a season like an 8-4 or worse. I mean, dude look at the schedule for a bit. Are you basically ok losing to Pitt and FSU along with Clem and A&M? Or UNC that just gave up 24 to FAMU?

If, and it’s a big if, that happens with all that’s happened in the past 8 months. How could you not feel like we will still pumping sunshine? I just don’t see it. I don’t think it’ll happen which is why I’m on record at 9-3 for this year. But 10-2 is absolutely doable, even 11-1 IMO.
respect our minor difference of opinions
ResizedP_3123c118-b3b9-429e-80c4-09a708be6ef7_12038757229208.gif

Advertisement
Back