Official Fall PractiSe #18 Thurday August 25

Anyone that thinks we have a top 10 roster is delusional. We have a top 10 QB, TE, S, and potentially DT. As for CB, RB, DE, LB, OL, and WR none of them are top 10 quality. You don't need a full Alabama roster but at least half of position groups should be elite.
I think you exaggerate the quality at the bottom part of the top 10. Bama, GA, Clem and Ohio st are in tier of their own, with maybe Clem slipping a bit. Huge drop off to Tx AM, Oklahoma and the perpetually overrated domers.

Advertisement
I think you exaggerate the quality at the bottom part of the top 10. Bama, GA, Clem and Ohio st are in tier of their own, with maybe Clem slipping a bit. Huge drop off to Tx AM, Oklahoma and the perpetually overrated domers.
Read my next post.

Talent to make the playoff yes we are not close

Talent to win 10 games in the ACC? Sorry this team is plenty talented to do that.

I don’t think so.

This team is a 9-3/8-4 team in the ACC.

There is minimal top shelf talent on this team.

You also have to remember the ACC is third to the SEC/B1G in terms of NFL talent.

I don’t think so.

You also have to remember the ACC is third to the SEC/B1G in terms of NFL talent.

Maybe, but you’re basically betting on health. As it stands, I don’t see another roster in the ACC more talented than us other than Clemson. I think we’re something like 13th overall in the country in terms of roster talent? Could be wrong, but…

Lack of development, proper coaching and discipline played a large part. Let’s see if these coaches can earn their money.

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have a top 10 roster but I don’t think they’re too far off. We’re nowhere near the Georgia’s, Alabamas and Ohio State’s but like always, there’s a really big gap between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest of the country. Oklahoma State and Michigan State both finished inside the final AP top ten. Ole Miss was 11th. Utah and Pitt 12th and 13th. None of those teams has a significant talent advantage over Miami. It’s going to take a few recruiting classes to make that big jump into that top group but Miami is firmly in that second tier.

I think we have the QB with the highest ceiling in CFB going into his first season as a full-time starter, and a vastly improved defense that will be better than most people expect.

Maybe, but you’re basically betting on health. As it stands, I don’t see another roster in the ACC more talented than us other than Clemson. I think we’re something like 13th overall in the country in terms of roster talent? Could be wrong, but…

Lack of development, proper coaching and discipline played a large part. Let’s see if these coaches can earn their money.

What positions would you consider contribute the most to wins in CFB?

For me, the top 3 is QB, OL, and DL.

If we can agree on the three positions, we can then look at the schedule and compare # of players at those positions VS our roster

AtM better beyotch slap everybody in SEC this year or Cuckbo got some splaining to do.

So let's say your statement is correct. We have 13th best talent in nation. The quality of this staff can get us into the Top 10. We have to stay healthy but a lot of folks are underestimating how good this team can be.

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have an elite roster across the board, like Bama, UGA, and Ohio State, but the staff is elite. And there appear to be elite players in many position groups, but lacking depth. This will take time to build.

Barring a rash of season-ending injuries to players like TVD and a few others, there is no reason the Canes should not win the Coastal and play in the ACCCG, likely against Clemson. The Tigers are a bit of mystery, with an elite defense but offensive question marks and new coordinator.

What I’d like to see is Miami play physical through the season, and playing their best games in the ACCCG and the following game(s).

Do not end with a whimper like the past decade-plus.

Y’all throw the word elite around too easily. What elite players do we have? How many on the current roster will end up in the first rd which is where the elite is.

We aren’t anywhere close to the top dogs. We have some good college players that hopefully get better but I don’t see ELITE anywhere in the roster.

TVD still needs to show it over a full season. Stevenson could be really really good…elite not sure. James Williams has elite traits but needs to show it on the field for multiple years.

That’s about all I see as who is potentially elite currently. That isn’t anywhere close to the top schools who are actually elite at multiple positions and elite throughout the depth of their roster. We have massive drop off at certain spots the starter goes down.

Mario needs 2 more classes to get the roster to where it needs to be. This season will be a dog fight to get 9 wins and win the coastal. That’s just reality of where we are. In Mario I trust!

Y’all throw the word elite around too easily. What elite players do we have? How many on the current roster will end up in the first rd which is where the elite is.

We aren’t anywhere close to the top dogs. We have some good college players that hopefully get better but I don’t see ELITE anywhere in the roster.

TVD still needs to show it over a full season. Stevenson could be really really good…elite not sure. James Williams has elite traits but needs to show it on the field for multiple years.

That’s about all I see as who is potentially elite currently. That isn’t anywhere close to the top schools who are actually elite at multiple positions and elite throughout the depth of their roster. We have massive drop off at certain spots the starter goes down.

Mario needs 2 more classes to get the roster to where it needs to be. This season will be a dog fight to get 9 wins and win the coastal. That’s just reality of where we are. In Mario I trust!
Yes, we do use the word elite too freely.

I‘ll rephrase the supposition.

Miami has a number players with elite potential, but quite fewer than UGA, Bama, or Ohio State. Based on everyone’s favorite star-system. And to be fair, the Big 3 mentioned have a number of elite starters, and then a number of players with elite potential behind them.

I would label TVD an elite QB, based on near-consensus opinion, and not only on CIS. Scouts have talked highly of him, projecting him as 1st round pick. Is he Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow or Andrew Luck? No, but those three were generational (oops, another word too freely used) talents.

Last edited:
So ***** Diaz can beat NcSt and Pitt last year yet we shouldn’t win the Coastal this year handedly? This isn’t a Bama UGA Oh St roster but this team is plenty enough talented to get to Charlotte. That would be an extreme disappointment in my eyes. That’s the goal this year and is a very attainable goal. WIN THE COASTAL. This staff should be able to get us there.

Advertisement
Having a top 10 roster means that's where you should finish. Spots 6-10 change pretty much every year. The teams that have top 10 rosters don't pop in and out. My point wasn't that you can't finish top 10 its that we shouldnt expect it and 10-2 is likely top 10.
Are you a Canes fan? When do we not expect a Top 10 ranking? That should be the floor at The U! I know, the last 20 years, blah, blah, blah. Now we expect 10 wins for a while. I believe Mario will get us there, starting this year.

I agree. I might add the DE could be potentially quite good also. But serious concerns about OL, WR, and LB (and now RB). Our roster in general needs a significant infusion of talent.
Don't be a soft ***. OL is more than fine, WR will step up and emerge and RB room is fine, throw ******* Perry in there and he will knock it out.

Advertisement
I don’t think so.

WTF is this, Ghandi?

What positions would you consider contribute the most to wins in CFB?

For me, the top 3 is QB, OL, and DL.

If we can agree on the three positions, we can then look at the schedule and compare # of players at those positions VS our roster
I agree with those three positions. I know of 1 poster who says it’s WR’s.

8C73AEEA-0A87-4F68-A00B-C917984FE4B5.gif

Was trying my best to temper expectations on Kelly. Since Cristobal got me back into recruiting, Kelly was the first guy who popped at me. As a DE, liked him even more than Stewart (when everyone was all in on Moe's dude). Cristobal is trying to hype us up beyond reason. Not gonna do it, coach. Nope.

[evidence of no bs]

NKelly.png

U can't have nuance with man.

" but we don't have a top l10 roster"
U right , we don't have top 10 roster. Does the teams finish in order of how their roster is ranked?
4 teams won double digits games in the power 5 last season without a top 10 roster. Mich(#15), Mich St(#37), Ole Miss(#27) and our very own conference champ Pitt Panthers(#36) . Actually it's 5, Utah(#32) as well. Every single one of them was behind Miami in the talent composite going into last season. Most of them by a good margin. So u see folks playing above their talent composite is only a thing for other schools, not Miami.

Ole Miss did it from the toughest division in football, where 4 teams had significantly better rosters.

But see, my logic is not acceptable. According to 247 we have #13 roster. ESPN FPI ranked us #9. The key position on offense, QB, possibly and likely elite, DL possibly and likely elite. And then we have alot of experience on both sides of the ball. Which means you can match wits with a more talented team that have their own weaknesses at either of those positions, Clemson, Texas A&M etc.

And then u factor the schedule and the new staff, which is where my enthusiasm comes from.

LSU had 10 players drafted this past cycle, 2nd only to UGA who had 15. What was LSU record, was Ole Miss more talented than them? Was UCLA?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back