Official Fall PractiSe #18 Thurday August 25

Advertisement
ACC championship would be niiiiiice

Although I REALLY want to beat Aggies

In Cristobal I trust

Miami doesn’t have a top 10 roster but I don’t think they’re too far off. We’re nowhere near the Georgia’s, Alabamas and Ohio State’s but like always, there’s a really big gap between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest of the country. Oklahoma State and Michigan State both finished inside the final AP top ten. Ole Miss was 11th. Utah and Pitt 12th and 13th. None of those teams has a significant talent advantage over Miami. It’s going to take a few recruiting classes to make that big jump into that top group but Miami is firmly in that second tier.
I don't think any team outside of the Big 3 has a complete or close to complete roster.

Miami doesn’t have a top 10 roster but I don’t think they’re too far off. We’re nowhere near the Georgia’s, Alabamas and Ohio State’s but like always, there’s a really big gap between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest of the country. Oklahoma State and Michigan State both finished inside the final AP top ten. Ole Miss was 11th. Utah and Pitt 12th and 13th. None of those teams has a significant talent advantage over Miami. It’s going to take a few recruiting classes to make that big jump into that top group but Miami is firmly in that second tier.
I don’t care what’s on paper. Only care about what’s on the field.

Advertisement
What is a top 10 roster? You think Oklahoma State and Baylor who finished 5th and 7th and both won 12 games had top ten rosters last year? Been about 20 years of subpar to terrible coaching at Miami. In that time span Miami has exceeded expectations once. That was in 2017 and even then it fell apart. Maybe we can actually do better than projected for once. Aranda won 2 games his first year. He didn't acquire 10 win improvement type of talent in one offseason.

Put simply if we're not decimated by injuries the schedule sets up for a top 10 finish. What this staff would be required to do is win all the games they're likely to be favored in which before the year starts is probably 10. Recent history tells us thats too much to ask of a Miami coaching staff. Maybe this one will be different.
Having a top 10 roster means that's where you should finish. Spots 6-10 change pretty much every year. The teams that have top 10 rosters don't pop in and out. My point wasn't that you can't finish top 10 its that we shouldnt expect it and 10-2 is likely top 10.

Last edited:
Big thing is that Mario knows what an ELITE roster looks like and that is his goal. Big change.

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t have an elite roster across the board, like Bama, UGA, and Ohio State, but the staff is elite. And there appear to be elite players in many position groups, but lacking depth. This will take time to build.

Barring a rash of season-ending injuries to players like TVD and a few others, there is no reason the Canes should not win the Coastal and play in the ACCCG, likely against Clemson. The Tigers are a bit of mystery, with an elite defense but offensive question marks and new coordinator.

What I’d like to see is Miami play physical through the season, and playing their best games in the ACCCG and the following game(s).

Do not end with a whimper like the past decade-plus.

Advertisement
247's last composite talent rankings (Oct '21) had us at 13.
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

I'm not sure what the board perception is. Probably varies wildly depending on what kind of point someone's trying to make.
Seems to be off they are missing ratings for several 4 stars.
Laurance Seymore
Tre'vonte Citizen
Chris Graves
Isaiah Horton

Anyone that thinks we have a top 10 roster is delusional. We have a top 10 QB, TE, S, and potentially DT. As for CB, RB, DE, LB, OL, and WR none of them are top 10 quality. You don't need a full Alabama roster but at least half of position groups should be elite.
I agree. I might add the DE could be potentially quite good also. But serious concerns about OL, WR, and LB (and now RB). Our roster in general needs a significant infusion of talent.

Advertisement
One thing we haven’t gotten at all this Fall camp was a pointless .30 second highlight clip...

But, we did get our Spring game fully broadcast on ACC network, which is the reverse of how things usually would go in our offseasons... Normally, we couldn’t see our Spring game, but all Fall camp we would get dumb highlight hype videos after every scrimmage.

What this means, is that Mario hates us & that bodes well for the future, because everyone knows, a good Coach always hates the fans, because the fans are unruly ******** who deserve nothing & will get them fired if they don’t produce fast enough for their imaginary expectations clock...

What I’m basically saying is, Mario gets it & we’re finally headed in the right direction for the future.
They aren't pointless.

What else will CIS argue about endlessly?

Plus good spank bank material.

C'mon now.

I agree. I might add the DE could be potentially quite good also. But serious concerns about OL, WR, and LB (and now RB). Our roster in general needs a significant infusion of talent.
The start of August I definitely would have said RB was top 10. I see some people are high on our DE. I think we will be good against the run but pass rush is a question mark.

Darrell Jackson was a huge pickup. Surprised to hear he's the only inside guy consistently pushing guys back and applying pressure.

I don't think that is what people are saying. I believe he's the only two-gap, big-bodied guy who applies pressure at a high level. Miller and Haye have roles, just aren't able to be both two-gap run stoppers and collapse the pocket.

Advertisement
Back