Fall Practice Summary- Day 9

Advertisement
Any QB to stir up the crowd at Doak and then throw the game winner has swag in my book. However, it didn't show up often and definitely wasn't enough for him.

Really, i remember..
.... most of the time he looked like the meditating Buddha on the sideline bench

Really??
.... most of the time he looked like the meditating Buddha on the sideline bench
Are you disputing what I said? Did you watch the FSU game? That was the definition of swag but as I also said, it didn't show up often and wasn't enough for him; pretty simple.

Right, because there is no way Ohio State let's him leave that easily if he did.

Until Martell proves me wrong I'm going to continue to say it. Ohio State going after fields and letting Martell walk uncontested isn't a good sign ESPECIALLY when it was his very own QB coach who was promoted to HC making no zero effort to keep him.
Facts, its why I wanted Hurts over him. The reason Hurts left wasnt because he wasnt good its because hes behind the projected number 1 pick. OSU didnt care sort of like Fields where UGA was ok with it, same with USC with Bolden. I dont like transfers so much its a low percentage of getting monsters and shouldnt be dependent upon unless u cant recruit and **** the bed closing which isnt a good thing.

Facts, its why I wanted Hurts over him. The reason Hurts left wasnt because he wasnt good its because hes behind the projected number 1 pick. OSU didnt care sort of like Fields where UGA was ok with it, same with USC with Bolden. I dont like transfers so much its a low percentage of getting monsters.

idk if UGA was okay with it. didnt they try to convince him to stay by promising to play him in the SEC CG? thought i read that

Advertisement
idk if UGA was okay with it. didnt they try to convince him to stay by promising to play him in the SEC CG? thought i read that
I dont know his situation but I like to see a fight just like Saban fought for the LB whos actually has a mean first step when u put his hand on the ground. Willis wasnt because he was a bad player it was because he had to much off field ****, i take a chance on those guys period because its behavior issue not talent. When a guy transfers cause he cant play thats not a good sign especially when UM is known for talent, if u cant cut it at your previous stop u wont cut it here. Again unless we lack talent which is do to poor recruiting

Uhh maybe delete that note about the option play?
This. One of the last 2 years when we ran that wildcat with Dallas, we ran 2 consecutive wildcats in a row. During practice interviews after that, Richt said we actually had a 3rd play where Dallas would throw a bomb, but we just didn’t run it that game. We did the wildcat again in the next few games, and the 3rd play was a bomb just like he said. I called it with all my buddies and they couldn’t believe it.

So let’s try to not be as bad as Richt.

none of these 3 qb's seem to be the answer. Enos had better be a **** of a play caller or cold be more of the same stuff we saw last year
Based on what? You're telling me that somehow all three of our 4-star recruit QBs are incapable of being good college QBs? Seriously, what are the odds of that? Since all three are in a tight battle to start, of course you are going to be hearing a focus on the deficiencies from the coaches, as that is what would need to be fixed to emerge as the leader. That doesn't mean they all suck. I guarantee any one of them will be better than what we had last year.

Advertisement
I really hope they stick with this week as the cut off. If they're all even just have Enos pick his guy and ride.

If they defintely know who it is - there would have to be some value to that guy knowing and running with the ones for the rest of camp...have the team rally around him.

This QB argument is going to go on all season no matter what the depth chart looks like after this weekend.

Tell me something about the OL and DTs please!

Advertisement
Tate is limited with that arm bruh.....u dont have to defend every throw with him. That was my biggest issue with his film u could see it immediatley when the tape went on.

"Limited" in this case is a bit pejorative.

The reality is, unless you're a QB like Dan Marino or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who can sling all the routes on the passing tree, EVERY QB has their limitations. Would I like to have Tate or any QB on my roster be able to zip in the deep comeback at 20 yards from the far hash? Sure. But so would every coach in college football. It's just not realistic.

I've seen all three QB's throw. N'kosi has awful ball placement on his 9 and 8 routes, and Jarren has his one or two struggles as well. So it's not just Tate.

We could do the same surgery on all the great QB's that UM has had over the years. In the history of UM, in my lifetime, I only saw one QB at this level that had every route combination at his disposal, and that was Testaverde. (Kelly mostly as well, but that was it).

Good coaching knows how to handle this.

If I told you that right now, you could have Ken Dorsey or Steve Walsh time warped to be the starting QB for the Gators in two weeks, would you take it? **** right you would, and so would I and everyone else. Those guys both played in the NFL and won Natty's at UM. And they were studs under center. But they had certain routes removed from their playbooks because they weren't good at throwing them. And if they needed to be thrown, they were helped out by good play design. (e.g. running out of 70 or 80 series, or using split adjustments, etc.)
The point is, you aren't wrong to see a QB's limitations, it's just that every QB has them, and the job of the coach is to manage around it. And Enos is good enough to do that, and I think he will do it well.

Note that in every one of Diaz's and Enos' comments about what it will take to win the starting job, they never have said: "we need a guy who can make all the throws in the playbook like he's Brett Favre" That's not how QB's win jobs. And thank God for that, because I never would have made it off the bench. Manny always talks about: 1) protect the football, 2) be consistent and mentally tough, and 3) make things happen/execute when things don't look perfect. He's spot on, because that's how you pick a starter.

Do you need a minimum level of passing skill? Absolutely.

Personally, …. and this is just me, .... from what I have seen, each of jarren, n'kosi, or tate have the PHYSICAL skills to be QB1 in the Enos offense.

But this race (and those three factors that Manny lists) are going to be determined by who has it between the ears and under the ribcage.

That's what wins every QB competition, and this one is no exception.

I don't care who they pick but it needs to be soon so the offense can get used to one cadence and time up with the starting QB. I doubt the offensive line can sync up with 3 different QB's timing and for the WR's to get used to the pass types from the QB since all three have different deliveries.

Advertisement
The quarterbacks were working on an option play today. They were lined up next to a running back out of the shotgun with a tight end on the line. At the snap, the quarterback and running back would run left, and the tight end would follow them across the formation. Based on the defender the quarterback could run, toss it to the running back, or shovel pass to the tight end.

/Nicholson nod gif
Exactly what I have been asking for. 20 with a TE at the H.

The quarterbacks were working on an option play today. They were lined up next to a running back out of the shotgun with a tight end on the line. At the snap, the quarterback and running back would run left, and the tight end would follow them across the formation. Based on the defender the quarterback could run, toss it to the running back, or shovel pass to the tight end.

/Nicholson nod gif
I would love to see some old school wishbone with Tate, Realus, DJ and Cam/Lo. would be gold near the end zone.

"Limited" in this case is a bit pejorative.

The reality is, unless you're a QB like Dan Marino or Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who can sling all the routes on the passing tree, EVERY QB has their limitations. Would I like to have Tate or any QB on my roster be able to zip in the deep comeback at 20 yards from the far hash? Sure. But so would every coach in college football. It's just not realistic.

I've seen all three QB's throw. N'kosi has awful ball placement on his 9 and 8 routes, and Jarren has his one or two struggles as well. So it's not just Tate.

We could do the same surgery on all the great QB's that UM has had over the years. In the history of UM, in my lifetime, I only saw one QB at this level that had every route combination at his disposal, and that was Testaverde. (Kelly mostly as well, but that was it).

Good coaching knows how to handle this.

If I told you that right now, you could have Ken Dorsey or Steve Walsh time warped to be the starting QB for the Gators in two weeks, would you take it? **** right you would, and so would I and everyone else. Those guys both played in the NFL and won Natty's at UM. And they were studs under center. But they had certain routes removed from their playbooks because they weren't good at throwing them. And if they needed to be thrown, they were helped out by good play design. (e.g. running out of 70 or 80 series, or using split adjustments, etc.)
The point is, you aren't wrong to see a QB's limitations, it's just that every QB has them, and the job of the coach is to manage around it. And Enos is good enough to do that, and I think he will do it well.

Note that in every one of Diaz's and Enos' comments about what it will take to win the starting job, they never have said: "we need a guy who can make all the throws in the playbook like he's Brett Favre" That's not how QB's win jobs. And thank God for that, because I never would have made it off the bench. Manny always talks about: 1) protect the football, 2) be consistent and mentally tough, and 3) make things happen/execute when things don't look perfect. He's spot on, because that's how you pick a starter.

Do you need a minimum level of passing skill? Absolutely.

Personally, …. and this is just me, .... from what I have seen, each of jarren, n'kosi, or tate have the PHYSICAL skills to be QB1 in the Enos offense.

But this race (and those three factors that Manny lists) are going to be determined by who has it between the ears and under the ribcage.

That's what wins every QB competition, and this one is no exception.
U need to be able to make elite throws vs top comp..........if u gave Baker Mayfield a noodle arm hes not the first pick. The kid can throw it same as Murray. U cant let a defense ignore certain routes and tighten windows (again against elite comp). Can he win in college? possibly yea.........can he win the coastal? YES

Advertisement
Back