Fall practice #4

Advertisement
That wasn't an RPO either to be honest. I mean just because someone writes it on the internet doesn't make it so bud. Now based on numbers and alignment Dak has the option to check to a run or pass, but RPO is a read, post snap. Reading something and running a play based on presnap reads or alignment isn't an RPO.

What Tate did was either a hot route based on presnap or uncovered sight adjustment i'm willing to bet

Of course because saying "my bad" is not an option for you.

By definition if I have a run called with the "option" to hot a throw....

Good talk. 😎

If you don’t know what an RPO is don’t comment on it. RPO and a read option (I’m sure this is what you’re confusing it with) are different concepts. (Read option is always ran out of shotgun because you read your key on the handoff and decide to pull it and throw or keep or you give it to the back)
I know what a read option is and what an RPO is, do you? read option about 98 percent of the time has your QB running the ball if he chooses not to hand off. Now people like Malzahn and a few others have made a creative "Triple option" out of the read option by having the QB throw the ball after tucking it to run. Think back to the Iron bowl year when Auburn had the jeremey (i think that was his name) kid playing QB.

An RPO is a post snap read to give the ball or throw the ball. Not a check at the LOS to a run or pass play. I mean the godfather of the RPO is Art Briles right....ever seen an RPO run from under center? In fact i've never seen an RPO or Read option run from under center. I've seen a veer and midline run from under center.

Advertisement
U straight line it and you'll give the DB an opportunity to break and jump the ball.

I'm confused as to why we've seen no videos of Martell improvising and taking off to run. He's not helping himself.
It’s the friggin 4th day of camp and the media is limited on most days....

That wasn't an RPO either to be honest. I mean just because someone writes it on the internet doesn't make it so bud. Now based on numbers and alignment Dak has the option to check to a run or pass, but RPO is a read, post snap. Reading something and running a play based on presnap reads or alignment isn't an RPO.

What Tate did was either a hot route based on presnap or uncovered sight adjustment i'm willing to bet

Although there are RPO's from under center, I believe this one was a busted play up front. In order to read the second level defender, you have to lock the backside tackle on the end which we clearly didn't. I'd chalk this one up to a blown assignment.

So leaving practice now with these thoughts while fresh in my head.

QB - No one won the job today but Perrys play at the end was not good. He was given a chance to close the practice strong instead threw a dropped int and a duck after that. Tate looked shaky at the start but got better as practice went on. Jarren is the mist skilled of the group by far, might be thinking too much out there.

RB - Cam is a beast. Reminds me of Frank Gore pre knee surgery. Burns can play too. Hes a weird case, offered on a few highlights from his sophmore year of HS but has talent.

Wr - JT is hurt, no one seems to know extent. KJ is a legit WR. Harley impressed me today.

Our DL is legit
Our Freshman CBs might be our 2nd and 3rd best already.
As good as those freshman are none are as good as Ivey... yet. He’s a Sure fire stud this year.

Advertisement
So leaving practice now with these thoughts while fresh in my head.

QB - No one won the job today but Perrys play at the end was not good. He was given a chance to close the practice strong instead threw a dropped int and a duck after that. Tate looked shaky at the start but got better as practice went on. Jarren is the mist skilled of the group by far, might be thinking too much out there.

Our Freshman CBs might be our 2nd and 3rd best already.

Crazy to read the bold.

Jarren may not win the comp this year, but Manny needs to fight like **** to keep him from transferring. He will put it together at some point soon and when he does he'll be a top tier QB.

Advertisement
hence the term Run Pass option, or alternatively choice between run or pass.

Yep. Read option was a way to simplify an offense for QBs. You read one player not a full alignment. RPO came on the scene to combat defenses playing a single high Safety or defenses loading the box. Exploit the 1 on 1 or force a D to pull the “center fielder” down into the run game.

Read option keys on the hanging LB on the edge (most common) or edge rusher (for us it would be the Viper) and RPO keys on the Mike or a Safety.

By the way. By definition....

A Run-Pass Option (RPO) is a called run play with apass option. It can be a DE, a LB, or just a specific alignment the QB is looking for. The OL blocks for therun the entire way, and the QB makes a decision "pre or post snap" (depending on which variation is called) torun/throw.

But highly respected film analyst Ted nygren and football definitions are wrong I guess.

Advertisement
Of course because saying "my bad" is not an option for you.

By definition if I have a run called with the "option" to hot a throw....

Good talk. 😎
SO basically every single play is an RPO by that definition.

Actually throwing hot isn't an RPO, but good talk bud. Just like your "counter alert" when previewing Enos that was just a handoff with a cutback right?

Although there are RPO's from under center, I believe this one was a busted play up front. In order to read the second level defender, you have to lock the backside tackle on the end which we clearly didn't. I'd chalk this one up to a blown assignment.
You and i are in agreement. Busted play or tate saw an uncovered JT4 and just chucked it out there after a sight adjustment is what i would guess

Advertisement
Back