Fall Camp Intel: Defense

Advertisement
"The inconsistency that Feagles showed last season continues to rear it’s ugly head in practices. He routinely trades great punts for terrible punts on Greentree."

Man, of everything mentioned, this scares me the most.

Time for Feagles to say goodbye

The cb issue is similar to what we had with Antrel Rolle. Remember Marcus Maxey was starting on the other side. I think we will be fine as long as MJ locks down one side we have enough talent to help the other side out a little bit.

How about we see Knowles and Feagles in actual games this year before deciding they are terrible..

I really hope them 2 and Rosier have strong seasons so the haters can eat crow.

I saw Knowles and Feagles in games last year and they were pretty terrible. They will not be given the benefit of the doubt from any fan until they prove themselves otherwise.

Advertisement
#20 I just hope all the coach praise of him comes to fruition. And feagles better get his **** together. I'm completely fine with adding another scholarship punter and feagles getting the axe if it means no more 10 yd punts.
Not at all you’re a d1 punter .. if he can’t get it together his sophomore campaign you have to bring in another punter

Advertisement
**** good, thorough write-up, Stefan. I think everyone can see two important things:
  1. We are only a few good men short of fielding an elite squad
  2. We may not land everyone we want, but the ones we do land by and large are turning into solid contributors
Pretty much the only guys who are transfer/phase-out candidates are Golden leftovers save for the few that may have slipped through the cracks in 2016.

If Richt can close 2019 strong, we will be loaded for a deep run.

feagles was okay last year. he had some great punts and some really bad ones, but he was a freshman. there's a difference between not being able to kick at all and just being inconsistent--feagles was the latter.

as it pertains to knowles, in general people on this board are too quick to dismiss veteran players who haven't developed. it's not uncommon at all for guys to be not very good for a while and then become useful when they become older. langham is a great example of someone everyone just assumed was going to transfer and who made some plays last year. you can go back to someone like davon johnson, who did nothing for his entire career until becoming a pretty valuable receiver in his senior year. even guys like DVD, brandon mcgee... for every bar milo or whoever there's guys who put it together for a year or two at the end.

remember that this board also had like a 20 page thread talking about how lawrenece cager should be kicked off the team because he didn't catch a few balls in the FSU game, and now he's a clear cut starter with NFL potential.

Count me in the group that think JDean shows up this year at CB and uses this LSU game to really catapult his confidence and rides that all season. He will get all he can handle if they are running 4WR sets the majority of the game. So we will know who we can depend on and who we can't really early.

Advertisement
feagles was okay last year. he had some great punts and some really bad ones, but he was a freshman. there's a difference between not being able to kick at all and just being inconsistent--feagles was the latter.

as it pertains to knowles, in general people on this board are too quick to dismiss veteran players who haven't developed. it's not uncommon at all for guys to be not very good for a while and then become useful when they become older. langham is a great example of someone everyone just assumed was going to transfer and who made some plays last year. you can go back to someone like davon johnson, who did nothing for his entire career until becoming a pretty valuable receiver in his senior year. even guys like DVD, brandon mcgee... for every bar milo or whoever there's guys who put it together for a year or two at the end.

remember that this board also had like a 20 page thread talking about how lawrenece cager should be kicked off the team because he didn't catch a few balls in the FSU game, and now he's a clear cut starter with NFL potential.
Sorry boss but Feagles wasn’t good last year. He had a good Orange Bowl but was awful. You could have gotten a freshman in high school to come out and have better kicks then what we saw throughout the year.

"Terry McCray actually saw some second team reps last week with both Jacksons out. That was neat, but he won’t be in the gameday rotation without injuries."

So cold blooded.

The inconsistency that Feagles showed last season continues to rear it’s ugly head in practices. He routinely trades great punts for terrible punts on Greentree. This is a concern, time to call on student walk ons and potentially to recruit a punter next year if he cannot be consistently good (not great).

Advertisement
If this unit can just stop the run better, it should be a handful to deal with on 3rd and longs with the type of edge pressure they can bring and the ballhawks in the secondary. I felt last years defense simply didn't do a good enough job of getting off the field and gave up too many long, time-consuming drives

As for Feagles, well, at times he was feeble last year and was a liability. Here's hoping he can at least become average in his soph campaign

a 220 lb punt returner, I Love It!!

What about our former 270 pound kick returner?

51otK-SWrqL.jpg

The inconsistency that Feagles showed last season continues to rear it’s ugly head in practices. He routinely trades great punts for terrible punts on Greentree. This is a concern, time to call on student walk ons and potentially to recruit a punter next year if he cannot be consistently good (not great).

One of the things I believe some of us were in favor of was going after a grad transfer in this capacity as well. Feagles may be a legacy, but he cost us defensive advantages often.

Feagles, that's discouraging.

Knowles, very encouraging, but I'll believe it when I see it. Same with Deane.

Man coverage skills are tougher to develop, I think Smith will emerge and be the leader at striker.

Advertisement
Back