Fall Ball

Advertisement
Gentlemen ill put it to you simply. We are going to struggle this season. I've been to majority of the practices and scrimmages. We lack pitching. We have bats, but it is also very hard to tell if we do have the bats because the pitching has been very bad. Drew Dywer is injured who was projected to be one of the starters. He got injured in game 2 at the end of the game. His status is unknown, but it is very concerning. We also cut one of our freshman pitchers who was a top200 prospect after his first outing. (It was one of the worst I've ever seen) On the bright side. Lorenzo Carrier is absolutely crushing baseballs. He finally hit an off-speed HR in game 2 of the WS. His krytonite has been the off-speed and in winter ball he was horrible up in the cod league. But it is very good to see him get back to form. Antonio Jimenez looks very good with the bat, he should find his way into the lineup (but also something not announced, we landed SS Tampa Transfer JD Urso who is one of the best players in d2 baseball, he has a current on base streak of 54 games i believe, was suppose to transfer to ole miss, but i assume we flipped him) It will be interesting to see where jimenez can find his way into the lineup, his bat is very good. Nick Roberts has been a bright spot, but another one is Freshman Slaide Naturman he has improved in each outing.
Not sure the workouts and game this gentlemen attended, if he would say jiminez has looked good on defense but ,struggled at the plate yes that would make sense. Are you aware Jiminez hit under .200 in the fall with over 10 strikeouts ? If I am not mistaken he has 2 RBI . Defensively he looked solid offensively was one of the worse hitters in the fall.

JD Urso i think will be the Starting SS, with a battle for second between: Dorian, Blake & Antonio. Maybe JD can play second. But one of the issues here is Cyr. He has not improved defensively, he's been terrible all winter at 2B, his bat is incredible, but that is the problem, Dorian is decent, but if Cyr can develop into a 2B, we can then have Jimenez at DH. We have a lot of hitting depth.
How Blake hits he is going to play wherever he wants

Advertisement
How Blake hits he is going to play wherever he wants
I thought last year was enough to convince me Cyr should have went to summer ball and learned to play an outfield position. He is athletic enough, long term he is not an infielder.
If Urso is the SS. Who plays 3rd? Is Cuvet only a DH? Torres is the first baseman.......

Idk signing/transfer rules for baseball, but is it too late to snag another juco or portal pitcher? Theres gotta be local kids that went away for college that would love to come back home.

Idk signing/transfer rules for baseball, but is it too late to snag another juco or portal pitcher? Theres gotta be local kids that went away for college that would love to come back home.
JC kids or D2 players like Urso can come. As well as players who skip their senior season of high school and graduate early. Lots of football players do this. Not so much in baseball.

Advertisement
I thought last year was enough to convince me Cyr should have went to summer ball and learned to play an outfield position. He is athletic enough, long term he is not an infielder.
If Urso is the SS. Who plays 3rd? Is Cuvet only a DH? Torres is the first baseman.......
Blake was invited to the Cape. He needed surgery so had to skip it.

Let’s see if Fenster lives up to his reputation with Cyr. My complaints with his glove at 2B really have nothing to do with his ability to play the position at this level. Some good coaching should able to sort it out.

Cuvet at 3B battling with Eric Fernandez (FR) who had been pretty good. Torres at 1B

Let’s see if Fenster lives up to his reputation with Cyr. My complaints with his glove at 2B really have nothing to do with his ability to play the position at this level. Some good coaching should able to sort it out.i
Let’s see if Fenster lives up to his reputation with Cyr. My complaints with his glove at 2B really have nothing to do with his ability to play the position at this level. Some good coaching should able to sort it out.
I've been hyping up Fenster since his arrival, he's going to have his work cutout for him, tons and tons of defensive errors this winter, some guys looked clueless with the baseball. This will be one of Fenster's finest jobs if he can turn around our defense, base running and stealing. I have tons of faith in him, but its going to be a uphill battle and process

Advertisement
Caught a good chunk of today's scrimmage. Perfect day for baseball.

SP'S: Ziehl & Dwyer

Ziehl looked sharp, although he gave up a bomb to Torres. (My way too early vote for Breakout Player of the Year). Dwyer doesn't throw very hard.
In relief was the MDC transfer Julian Hernandez and Rafe. Rafe walked a few guys and looked hittable.

Besides Torres, Renzo and Luca Reyes went yard. Newcomer Cruz Mujica showed quick feet at 2nd base and got a hit and K'd. He didn't hit at the JUCO level so I wouldn't expect much from him.

AJ Goytia is a smaller catcher but looked pretty quick on the basepaths for a backstop. He also has JD Jones' 34, so let's hope the exile to catcher purgatory is lifted. Scanlon still can't hit, and Biden could steal 2nd off him. If Goytia can't beat out Scanlon for the backup backstop, he should transfer to Rutgers.

Left side of the infield was a shuffle between Fernandez, Jimenez, Cuvet and Dorian. Dorian looked bad at the plate and air mailed a throw from SS that would have hit the Ron Fraser Building if not for the net. Cuvet and Fernandez were at 3b and Fernandez, Dorian, and Jimenez all had a look at SS. It looks like there is a true open competition for SS.

Cuvet swung at several pitches out of the zone. His bat was dragging a bit too, but you can see the power potential.

Sir Cyr played sparingly and had a K and a single.

Irrelevant Yet Pertinent Side Notes:

JD Arteaga looked several shades darker. I think one of his perks is a tanning bed in his office.

Laz Gutierrez has absurdly skinny legs. He looks like a newborn foal. I can't a trust a man in a leadership position that has no calves.

The revolving gate on the 3B side is gone. Apparently, Gen Z students were mistaking it for a safe place and couldn't figure out how to get out of it.

a truly frightening report on the state of the team.

if I didn't know better, you were describing the prospects for this upcoming season for coral gables high school

Appreciate the news.

I am cautious because I see the performance in the portal and roster building and hesitate to see the offseason as a success, but I’ll remain in wait-and-see mode.

On paper, pitching is worse. Hitting is worse. Defense is worse.

Maybe atmosphere improvements will be able to make up for the talent reductions?

So, you're saying we're not heading in the right direction?

Gentlemen ill put it to you simply. We are going to struggle this season. I've been to majority of the practices and scrimmages. We lack pitching. We have bats, but it is also very hard to tell if we do have the bats because the pitching has been very bad. Drew Dywer is injured who was projected to be one of the starters. He got injured in game 2 at the end of the game. His status is unknown, but it is very concerning. We also cut one of our freshman pitchers who was a top200 prospect after his first outing. (It was one of the worst I've ever seen) On the bright side. Lorenzo Carrier is absolutely crushing baseballs. He finally hit an off-speed HR in game 2 of the WS. His krytonite has been the off-speed and in winter ball he was horrible up in the cod league. But it is very good to see him get back to form. Antonio Jimenez looks very good with the bat, he should find his way into the lineup (but also something not announced, we landed SS Tampa Transfer JD Urso who is one of the best players in d2 baseball, he has a current on base streak of 54 games i believe, was suppose to transfer to ole miss, but i assume we flipped him) It will be interesting to see where jimenez can find his way into the lineup, his bat is very good. Nick Roberts has been a bright spot, but another one is Freshman Slaide Naturman he has improved in each outing.

well that's just so good to hear.

if anyone's looking for me, I'll be in my garage, with both cars running while I stand there and breathe deeply.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back