Fall Ball

Pretty surprised to get nothing on here about the Orange & Green.

I know we are all down bad at the hire of Arteaga and then him confirming our fears by running the program like the same stale good ole boys' network, but I had hoped it wouldn't sink quite this low to get nothing on the games.

Updates I'm hearing on the team are sobering, so I had hoped to hear some buzz.
I feel JD and staff have been doing a very good job , totally different atmosphere from past years according to the old timers. O and G games saw some good things, young pitching stepped up and looked good , some young hitters looked good. Couple of veterans had good week as well.Still to early to tell on how good canes can be pitching staff still getting healthy. I believe this team will score runs and pitch well, hopefully coaches use correct infield. If you go off big names and rankings infield defense will be the worse in the country.If you go with best available then infield will be very solid.OF will be good and deep.

Freshmen standouts from O and G games

Pitchers
Nick Roberts really strong outing
JD Caruso not bad left hander

Hitters Freshmen
Danny Cuvet Homered
Eric Fernandez guy can hit
Luca Reyes has shown flashes

Veteran Pitchers
Rafe has been outstanding
Gage was ok
Chestnut looked good

Veteran hitters
Lorenzo Carrier swung bat well
Blake Cyr Homered
Jacoby Long has looked good as well

Advertisement
Was interested to hear how Caruso looked. He really took off as a fr/soph and then seemed to peak a bit and had a pretty mediocre senior year for a kid with his skill set. But I heard he grew a little too.

I feel JD and staff have been doing a very good job , totally different atmosphere from past years according to the old timers. O and G games saw some good things, young pitching stepped up and looked good , some young hitters looked good. Couple of veterans had good week as well.Still to early to tell on how good canes can be pitching staff still getting healthy. I believe this team will score runs and pitch well, hopefully coaches use correct infield. If you go off big names and rankings infield defense will be the worse in the country.If you go with best available then infield will be very solid.OF will be good and deep.

Freshmen standouts from O and G games

Pitchers
Nick Roberts really strong outing
JD Caruso not bad left hander

Hitters Freshmen
Danny Cuvet Homered
Eric Fernandez guy can hit
Luca Reyes has shown flashes

Veteran Pitchers
Rafe has been outstanding
Gage was ok
Chestnut looked good

Veteran hitters
Lorenzo Carrier swung bat well
Blake Cyr Homered
Jacoby Long has looked good as well
Appreciate the news.

I am cautious because I see the performance in the portal and roster building and hesitate to see the offseason as a success, but I’ll remain in wait-and-see mode.

On paper, pitching is worse. Hitting is worse. Defense is worse.

Maybe atmosphere improvements will be able to make up for the talent reductions?

Appreciate the news.

I am cautious because I see the performance in the portal and roster building and hesitate to see the offseason as a success, but I’ll remain in wait-and-see mode.

On paper, pitching is worse. Hitting is worse. Defense is worse.

Maybe atmosphere improvements will be able to make up for the talent reductions?
I’m with you. I think this is one of the least talented rosters in my life. Can’t rely on to many freshman to win at this level either.

But maybe this can be one of those scrappy never say die teams if JD really has changed the culture/atmosphere.

Advertisement
Coming out of fall ball, I am curious to see both the projected rotation and depth chart.
Does JD give the older guys like Costello and Long first shot in the outfield? Go with the younger guys?
How does the left side of the infield look? Is the SS coming from Tampa?
Is Cuvet strictly a DH this season ?
Who is projected to be our weekend rotation?
Are the three pitchers hurt last season ready to go this season?

Everything guys have been sayin is Cuvet has to be a DH which would force Carrier into the OF, combined with Villegas, Long, and Costello there should be a good battle for playing time in the OF

From what little I saw over the weekend, I must agree that Cuvet appears shaky defensively.

Jimenez looks ready physically.

Sounds like this team is a real work in progress. If that's the case, JD would be smart to get the incoming freshmen as many opportunities as possible, if not straight out shots at starting several of them. Let these supposed great assistants develop them.

You feel for guys like Long, Adrian Gonzales, etc. but that's life. They'll be better for it in the long run, as will the team they love.

Advertisement
Sounds like this team is a real work in progress. If that's the case, JD would be smart to get the incoming freshmen as many opportunities as possible, if not straight out shots at starting several of them. Let these supposed great assistants develop them.

You feel for guys like Long, Adrian Gonzales, etc. but that's life. They'll be better for it in the long run, as will the team they love.
Really interesting logic. I can guarantee you JD isn’t going to not put out his best lineup and try to win as many games as possible in his first year. We cannot properly evaluate this team until February. I also believe this roster is better than you guys think it is.

There’s obviously a lot to replace, but I’m more optimistic about the position players than I was in the summer. Pitching is the big question mark once again.

There’s obviously a lot to replace, but I’m more optimistic about the position players than I was in the summer. Pitching is the big question mark once again.
Hope you're both right, but if we're trying to get back to Omaha, a long-term plan is necessary. And I have to believe he's been promised a minimum of 3 years.

So, win right away if you can, of course. But keep it in perspective and groom the young guys for a run in '25 - '26 and hit the portal hard for quality arms.

Advertisement
Hope you're both right, but if we're trying to get back to Omaha, a long-term plan is necessary. And I have to believe he's been promised a minimum of 3 years.

So, win right away if you can, of course. But keep it in perspective and groom the young guys for a run in '25 - '26 and hit the portal hard for quality arms.
You’ll get a good mix of young players putting your best team on paper out there. Cyr and Torres are sophomores, Cuvet will start somewhere, and I think there’s a good chance at least one of Fernandez, Jimenez, or Kulikowski sees a lot of action.

I’m with you. I think this is one of the least talented rosters in my life. Can’t rely on to many freshman to win at this level either.

But maybe this can be one of those scrappy never say die teams if JD really has changed the culture/atmosphere.
Be careful

Really interesting logic. I can guarantee you JD isn’t going to not put out his best lineup and try to win as many games as possible in his first year. We cannot properly evaluate this team until February. I also believe this roster is better than you guys think it is.
Agree

Advertisement
Gentlemen ill put it to you simply. We are going to struggle this season. I've been to majority of the practices and scrimmages. We lack pitching. We have bats, but it is also very hard to tell if we do have the bats because the pitching has been very bad. Drew Dywer is injured who was projected to be one of the starters. He got injured in game 2 at the end of the game. His status is unknown, but it is very concerning. We also cut one of our freshman pitchers who was a top200 prospect after his first outing. (It was one of the worst I've ever seen) On the bright side. Lorenzo Carrier is absolutely crushing baseballs. He finally hit an off-speed HR in game 2 of the WS. His krytonite has been the off-speed and in winter ball he was horrible up in the cod league. But it is very good to see him get back to form. Antonio Jimenez looks very good with the bat, he should find his way into the lineup (but also something not announced, we landed SS Tampa Transfer JD Urso who is one of the best players in d2 baseball, he has a current on base streak of 54 games i believe, was suppose to transfer to ole miss, but i assume we flipped him) It will be interesting to see where jimenez can find his way into the lineup, his bat is very good. Nick Roberts has been a bright spot, but another one is Freshman Slaide Naturman he has improved in each outing.

Gentlemen ill put it to you simply. We are going to struggle this season. I've been to majority of the practices and scrimmages. We lack pitching. We have bats, but it is also very hard to tell if we do have the bats because the pitching has been very bad. Drew Dywer is injured who was projected to be one of the starters. He got injured in game 2 at the end of the game. His status is unknown, but it is very concerning. We also cut one of our freshman pitchers who was a top200 prospect after his first outing. (It was one of the worst I've ever seen) On the bright side. Lorenzo Carrier is absolutely crushing baseballs. He finally hit an off-speed HR in game 2 of the WS. His krytonite has been the off-speed and in winter ball he was horrible up in the cod league. But it is very good to see him get back to form. Antonio Jimenez looks very good with the bat, he should find his way into the lineup (but also something not announced, we landed SS Tampa Transfer JD Urso who is one of the best players in d2 baseball, he has a current on base streak of 54 games i believe, was suppose to transfer to ole miss, but i assume we flipped him) It will be interesting to see where jimenez can find his way into the lineup, his bat is very good. Nick Roberts has been a bright spot, but another one is Freshman Slaide Naturman he has improved in each outing.
Who u think would be our starting shortstop

Who u think would be our starting shortstop
JD Urso i think will be the Starting SS, with a battle for second between: Dorian, Blake & Antonio. Maybe JD can play second. But one of the issues here is Cyr. He has not improved defensively, he's been terrible all winter at 2B, his bat is incredible, but that is the problem, Dorian is decent, but if Cyr can develop into a 2B, we can then have Jimenez at DH. We have a lot of hitting depth.

Advertisement
Back