Facilities

Advertisement
Do any of the towers still stand, or are they all gone now?

Yeah, I flip-flopped them. Hecht (McDonald & Pentland towers) has been torn down, and Stanford (Walsh & Rosborough towers) is still standing.

UM switched the demolition order during COVID. Stanford was supposed to come down first, and they reversed it.

IMG_9534.jpeg

Our new QB commit for 2025

A commit mentioning our facilities…did we ever think the day would come? 🥹

SEVEN. STORIES.

Show me the Power 5/Power 2 school that has something better...
There is a lot to be excited about with the future of this program my man

Now let’s put our team back in the headlines because ESPN is going to love talking about Mario going 5-7 last year and turning things around this year….

Advertisement
Yeah, I flip-flopped them. Hecht (McDonald & Pentland towers) has been torn down, and Stanford (Walsh & Rosborough towers) is still standing.

UM switched the demolition order during COVID. Stanford was supposed to come down first, and they reversed it.
Sad. Stayed at Pentland.

Sad. Stayed at Pentland.

So, funny story...I enrolled in 1986. Had visited the campus in fall 1985 and spring 1986. Everything was set, my best friend from high school and I were signed up to be roommates, and we were going to live in HONORS Residential College (the earlier name of Hecht) since we were Honors students.

Then, we get our room assignment letters...

Honors Residential College AT EATON HALL. And dammit to ****, Eaton was a disaster when we visited campus. Worst dormitory (not counting the ****hole apartment area)...the furniture was bolted to the floor...

We freaked the **** out and immediately called the Housing Office. "No need to worry, the entire dorm is being renovated, it's going to be great." So a few months later, they've flipped the name to "Eaton Residential College", we have our own RC Masters and everything (the main one was Dr. Ferguson, a math professor and the head of the Honors Program, she's the one who interviewed me on campus for admissions to UM and the Honors Program).

We actually had PARKING (more than was dedicated to the Towers), and I had a room on the second floor just above the side entrance looking out at the pool. Sweet sweet sweet. We start to move in and they are STILL working on the renovations. We were there when they put in our cable box (brand spanking new, to their credit). Still painting in places. Still moving in furniture.

Nearly the entire building was freshmen, because no upperclassmen wanted to live there. Only the RAs and a couple of people in the "singles" wing in the middle were upperclassmen. We set a (then) record for most amount of property damage done to a dorm in a year. Scared the **** out of UM. We had multiple "scared straight" meetings with our RAs as they tried to lecture us on acting like adults.

But I loved those suite rooms with a bathroom between. After that year, I NEVER wanted to live in the Towers. Went over there to visit friends, and it was dank and abysmal. I lived in Eaton, Mahoney (1) and Pearson (7), but never EVER in the Towers.

While I'm going to miss those landmarks, it's good that the students will have FAR better housing options in the future.

Although the current students ARE spoiled little *******...

So, funny story...I enrolled in 1986. Had visited the campus in fall 1985 and spring 1986. Everything was set, my best friend from high school and I were signed up to be roommates, and we were going to live in HONORS Residential College (the earlier name of Hecht) since we were Honors students.

Then, we get our room assignment letters...

Honors Residential College AT EATON HALL. And dammit to ****, Eaton was a disaster when we visited campus. Worst dormitory (not counting the ****hole apartment area)...the furniture was bolted to the floor...

We freaked the **** out and immediately called the Housing Office. "No need to worry, the entire dorm is being renovated, it's going to be great." So a few months later, they've flipped the name to "Eaton Residential College", we have our own RC Masters and everything (the main one was Dr. Ferguson, a math professor and the head of the Honors Program, she's the one who interviewed me on campus for admissions to UM and the Honors Program).

We actually had PARKING (more than was dedicated to the Towers), and I had a room on the second floor just above the side entrance looking out at the pool. Sweet sweet sweet. We start to move in and they are STILL working on the renovations. We were there when they put in our cable box (brand spanking new, to their credit). Still painting in places. Still moving in furniture.

Nearly the entire building was freshmen, because no upperclassmen wanted to live there. Only the RAs and a couple of people in the "singles" wing in the middle were upperclassmen. We set a (then) record for most amount of property damage done to a dorm in a year. Scared the **** out of UM. We had multiple "scared straight" meetings with our RAs as they tried to lecture us on acting like adults.

But I loved those suite rooms with a bathroom between. After that year, I NEVER wanted to live in the Towers. Went over there to visit friends, and it was dank and abysmal. I lived in Eaton, Mahoney (1) and Pearson (7), but never EVER in the Towers.

While I'm going to miss those landmarks, it's good that the students will have FAR better housing options in the future.

Although the current students ARE spoiled little *******...
The funny thing is, when I first went in 1990 I actually thought it was awesome. First time being by myself and the very first month that I was there, some people down the hall at Pentland had a party so rowdy that football players showed up. I ultimately got a double single and built a pretty cool loft. Made some great friends while I was there. Some other memories:

- One of the people on my floor somehow got a single bed frame out onto the balcony and literally tossed it down the space between the stairway and the building
- Someone pranked a person at Hecht by taking their bed and putting it out on the lawn by the building
- Went to the bathroom one night (which were gross - foolish was the person who went in without shoes - only to find one of the residents sprawled out in drunken slumber, laying between three bathroom stalls
- Massive celebration when Miami beat FSU in 1991..:Ive posted the pictures elsewhere here but let’s amounts of toilet paper and at least one mattress tossed from the building

Of course, I look back at it now with a basis of comparison. Pentland was like an East German building.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back