Facilities

Which is why Texas A&M folded their NIL collective as they're trying to reformat the new one as a non-profit so NIL contributions count as tax deductions.

They didn't fold their collective. They simply eliminated one particular funding avenue. And they are still paying players outside of the collective.

Let's all try hard not to focus on just one or two words in my response. Again, we have hundreds of years of precedent for wealthy people buying "legacy" by putting their names on university buildings. That is a very different rich-person's pursuit from trying to buy short-term athletic success by paying players with relatively anonymous chunks of cash.

Advertisement
I understand. I'm not mad at you, but we have to stop this myth sometime. In no way am I blaming you directly, but it's just insane how this question has entered the atmosphere.

I had this exact conversation with a very well-known poster on this board. We just have to be real and honest. The new building has nothing to do with NIL, and "NIL budget" has very little to do with certain complained-about recent outcomes.
Good. I'm glad NIL & facility construction aren't linked. That's all I was asking. But I guess the question is figuring out why the NIL shortfall is truly happening at all.

No. I don't understand it's financial. That area is already a mess because of the new student housing project going up and adding additional construction on the same street would create additional complications. I assume its all proceeding, but I'd guess that its just not going to be right this instant because there was preexisting construction that is impacting a potential start date.
Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

Advertisement
Nobody is actually saying anything which is the frustrating part. Constant vague statements or silence creates questioning. If we have the money and refuse to use it that's worse than not having it

People have said plenty, but some have chosen not to hear what has been said.

What I've personally said previously is that this is not a simple binary issue (i.e., "we have money/we do not have money" or "we spend money/we do not spend money"), it is more complex.

As I've stated, we now have a lot more, and a lot more organized, competition in the NIL space. We have states such as Texas that have passed more "free-spirited" rules for NIL. And we've added to our "degree of difficulty" by recruiting some top players who are from the backyards of some of the toughest NIL competitors that we will face.

We have seen players take LESS money to be at particular schools. Brandon Innis spurned UM's greater NIL offer to play for less money at Ohio Taint. So NOT every single decision is "highest NIL bid".

I have also previously stated that there are a lot of other issues complicating Miami's overall recruitment efforts. A huge one (currently) is conference uncertainty, which nearly every other school competing against us for recruits is using to maximum advantage to dirty-recruit us.

I'm not sure what other information would relieve your frustration. I don't think there will be press releases announcing NIL deals and amounts, and even when there were (Nijel Pack), there was usually more blowback than it was worth to make the announcement.

Other schools are NOW making top NIL offers, which used to be the (mostly) sole province of Miami. There is competition. And no school, not even Alabama or Georgia, has unlimited NIL funds.

We need to join a P2 conference, win games, become a Jordan Brand school, and put guys in the NFL. If we do that, then we will be fine. 2023/24 recruiting may be unfixable at this point, for factors beyond our control, but we can definitely recover in the 2024 Portal and 2024/25 HS recruiting.

What I've personally said previously is that this is not a simple binary issue (i.e., "we have money/we do not have money" or "we spend money/we do not spend money"), it is more complex.

As I've stated, we now have a lot more, and a lot more organized, competition in the NIL space. We have states such as Texas that have passed more "free-spirited" rules for NIL. And we've added to our "degree of difficulty" by recruiting some top players who are from the backyards of some of the toughest NIL competitors that we will face.

We have seen players take LESS money to be at particular schools. Brandon Innis spurned UM's greater NIL offer to play for less money at Ohio Taint. So NOT every single decision is "highest NIL bid".

I have also previously stated that there are a lot of other issues complicating Miami's overall recruitment efforts. A huge one (currently) is conference uncertainty, which nearly every other school competing against us for recruits is using to maximum advantage to dirty-recruit us.

I'm not sure what other information would relieve your frustration. I don't think there will be press releases announcing NIL deals and amounts, and even when there were (Nijel Pack), there was usually more blowback than it was worth to make the announcement.

Other schools are NOW making top NIL offers, which used to be the (mostly) sole province of Miami. There is competition. And no school, not even Alabama or Georgia, has unlimited NIL funds.

We need to join a P2 conference, win games, become a Jordan Brand school, and put guys in the NFL. If we do that, then we will be fine. 2023/24 recruiting may be unfixable at this point, for factors beyond our control, but we can definitely recover in the 2024 Portal and 2024/25 HS recruiting.
Fair point.

Sounds like we are “conceding” this class due to the reasons outlined in your post. I’m not saying we are giving up, but it’s clear we have pivoted. Recent commitments and newly offered 3-star recruits confirm that we are struggling to attract high-end talent.

We may have to sacrifice this class (to an extent); however, I was hoping the unexpected entry by Oregon and Washington into the B1G would accelerate our departure from the ACC, or at a minimum, force us to disclose our intentions publicly. The actual date of entry into the B1G isn’t as important (in terms of countering negative recruiting) as having a definitive plan that involves a P2 conference. With that said, I’m not sure Rad and the administration are going to change their strategy simply because other Programs are throwing rocks at us.

This sucks.

Fair point.

Sounds like we are “conceding” this class due to the reasons outlined in your post. I’m not saying we are giving up, but it’s clear we have pivoted. Recent commitments and newly offered 3-star recruits confirm that we are struggling to attract high-end talent.

We may have to sacrifice this class (to an extent); however, I was hoping the unexpected entry by Oregon and Washington into the B1G would accelerate our departure from the ACC, or at a minimum, force us to disclose our intentions publicly. The actual date of entry into the B1G isn’t as important (in terms of countering negative recruiting) as having a definitive plan that involves a P2 conference. With that said, I’m not sure Rad and the administration are going to change their strategy simply because other Programs are throwing rocks at us.

This sucks.

I don't think Mario ever "concedes". He'll keep recruiting until February.

Now, how REALISTIC that is...well, that can be a different issue.

Here's reality...outside of a couple of Neon Deion flipz, with MOST recruits, the longer they are a verbal commit, the greater the chance that they follow through on that verbal commit. Conversely, the longer we go WITHOUT landing our top targets, the less likely it is that we can flip them IF they pick another school.

The calendar is the calendar. Kids MIGHT regret their choices down the road, but for now, we are stuck with the calendar as-is.

Advertisement

You don’t think 23/24 recruiting can be fixed even if we win?

You don’t think 23/24 recruiting can be fixed even if we win?

Define "fixed".

It will be a good class, but we are not flipping a ton of guys that we missed on in this cycle. There could be situational things - let's say a big competitor school has a horrible season and/or loses coaches? Sure.

But right now, our top targets who have verballed elsewhere are at a VARIETY of schools, and I don't think that 8 or 9 or 10 wins would allow us to flip all of those guys. And I don't think that anyone is really holding out hope for 11 or 12 or 13 wins, which could potentially bring more flips.

What I'm also saying is...when would you "win"? It's very possible that we could win our first six games - against weak competition. Would starting the year 6-0 with "signature" wins against aTm and UNC (who could each suck this year, aTm was 5-7 last year and UNC was only 9-5) be perceived as some massive improvement at UM?

Then the next 6 games are tougher, and even if we beat Boston College on November 24th, the December signing day is just a couple of weeks later.

So I'm asking, from a practical standpoint, why anyone believes in "win and we will get everyone we want", particularly with such a weak and unimpressive schedule with which to "convince" recruits to flip?

Now, if we had landed more guys this summer, it would be easier to forecast a great class. But we have been hammered with negative recruiting for months on a variety of topics, including the (accurate) conference uncertainty and the (inaccurate) fear that Miami will not honor its NIL promises.

I tried to tell people about how the Texas schools would "suddenly" be good at NIL again, once their new law took effect in June. But, nope, some of our most brilliant porsters want to oversimplify it down to "Miami is broke".

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Advertisement
They didn't fold their collective. They simply eliminated one particular funding avenue. And they are still paying players outside of the collective.

Let's all try hard not to focus on just one or two words in my response. Again, we have hundreds of years of precedent for wealthy people buying "legacy" by putting their names on university buildings. That is a very different rich-person's pursuit from trying to buy short-term athletic success by paying players with relatively anonymous chunks of cash.
Yep if they have $10 million to donate, they can donate it to a building that going to give them a tax deduction plus their name on it for decades or they can bypass the deduction, contribute it to NIL and everyone will forget about them by the next recruiting cycle.

Yep if they have $10 million to donate, they can donate it to a building that going to give them a tax deduction plus their name on it for decades or they can bypass the deduction, contribute it to NIL and everyone will forget about them by the next recruiting cycle.

Exactly.

Outside of a few well-known names (Mr. Yellawood), can a single person on this board give us a nice long list of all the bagmen who have funded all the college football championship teams over the last few decades?

I'll wait...

Most rich guys like to use their millions to buy credibility and legacy and respect. Put their names on things that are (relatively) permanent.

Hopefully, certain schools have a few nutters who are willing to flush millions chasing trophies and bragging rights. In addition to, and usually separate from, the donors who want to put their names on things.

I don't think Mario ever "concedes". He'll keep recruiting until February.

Now, how REALISTIC that is...well, that can be a different issue.

Here's reality...outside of a couple of Neon Deion flipz, with MOST recruits, the longer they are a verbal commit, the greater the chance that they follow through on that verbal commit. Conversely, the longer we go WITHOUT landing our top targets, the less likely it is that we can flip them IF they pick another school.

The calendar is the calendar. Kids MIGHT regret their choices down the road, but for now, we are stuck with the calendar as-is.
Agreed. Thanks.

Any sense on how the current recruiting environment impacts our conference realignment strategy? Said differently, do you believe our intentions will become known (a) prior to NSD (December), (b) prior to start of Portal Season; or more likely late Spring/Summer of 2024?

Trying to get a sense of how long our rivals are likely to continue using the “conference limbo” slander against us.

Advertisement
Agreed. Thanks.

Any sense on how the current recruiting environment impacts our conference realignment strategy? Said differently, do you believe our intentions will become known (a) prior to NSD (December), (b) prior to start of Portal Season; or more likely late Spring/Summer of 2024?

Trying to get a sense of how long our rivals are likely to continue using the “conference limbo” slander against us.

Every day that passes with no additiional clarity until Tuesday is a cause for concern.

When you step back, at this moment, the ONLY schools that have "improved" their positions are Washington/Oregon. And we are not going head-to-head with them for many guys.

So while I'd prefer NOT to have to go another year with uncertainty, the most important thing is NOT having any articulable advantage over Miami by any other ACC team. For now.

But to beat Bama and UGa and Taint and Michigan on the recruiting trail, we really need to have conference certainty ASAP.

PS, sorry, I did not mean to "not" answer this question, but I think that "timing" depends on how we plan to fight to leave the conference. If the ACC would accept a "buyout" of GOR, it could be fast (cut the check, or PROMISE to cut the check). If we fight in court, then it would be slow and take another year or two. BUT, if there was some sort of tri-partite negotiated settlement (where ESPN is "allowed" to broadcast some Big 10 games), then I think we could get a medium-fast resolution (since I don't think this can be hammered out in 4 days).

Based on the Pac teams, 2024 was always going to be the best "Big 10 start date", but I'm worried about getting it done in 4 days.

It’s certainly complicated. Thanks for the explanation. Ultimately, the impact on recruiting is unlikely to materially impact Miami’s realignment strategy. Any collateral damage to this year’s and potentially next year’s class must be viewed as acceptable consequences in order to achieve the greater good.

With that said, it still sucks.

Please stop with this nonsensical myth. I'm not saying you started it, but please don't perpetuate it.

People who want their names on buildings as well as tax deductions are not going to just flip their cash over to NIL. It's just not happening, and people need to stop acting like this is the old "guns or butter" debate.
Maybe it's the "Guns or Parkay" debate.

I've already put down my security deposit for luxury room 404b at The Facility.

Advertisement
Back