Eye-opening tweet about our OL talent

Advertisement
Have we had a DT drafted in the last 10 years?
At first I thought, “What DT would want to play for Al Golden?” Then I realized the problem pre-dated even Al Golden. We just haven’t been getting talented DTs for a long time. That, and we had a horrible S&C program for ages. Throw in the fact some schools pay a premium for DTs and you have what we’ve seen the last 10 years.

At first I thought, “What DT would want to play for Al Golden?” Then I realized the problem pre-dated even Al Golden. We just haven’t been getting talented DTs for a long time. That, and we had a horrible S&C program for ages. Throw in the fact some schools pay a premium for DTs and you have what we’ve seen the last 10 years.

It's becoming abundantly clear why teams pay a premium for DTs

Bret Bielema said something about the Scandinavian population up their breed big men/linemen. There's tons of people with German/Scandavian decent in that area, and are generally the larger Europeans. This is why no matter what coach, Whisky will always have great run blocking teams.
That's funny, I (we) had almost the same conversation with him at a Plantation High game a some years back. He was telling us about how big everybody is up there, even the women. He jokingly said "a guy like me couldn't get a date up there!"
He was also talking about the huge different in speed between the regions and how they (Wisconsin) have to come down here to get skill players.

Advertisement
That's funny, I (we) had almost the same conversation with him at a Plantation High game a some years back. He was telling us about how big everybody is up there, even the women. He jokingly said "a guy like me couldn't get a date up there!"
He was also talking about the huge different in speed between the regions and how they (Wisconsin) have to come down here to get skill players.
I’m from Indiana so it’s pretty similar, not quite the size of people from Wisconsin and some other midwestern states. But you’re spot on, the speed was the biggest adjustment for Mr when I got to Miami. On the flip side, I was surprised but how relatively weak a lot of guys in the weight room were

I’m from Indiana so it’s pretty similar, not quite the size of people from Wisconsin and some other midwestern states. But you’re spot on, the speed was the biggest adjustment for Mr when I got to Miami. On the flip side, I was surprised but how relatively weak a lot of guys in the weight room were
Spot-on.

Our high school S&C programs down here are a joke. Basically non-existent.
Most schools don't have the luxury of hiring a real S&C coach so the assistant football coaches handle the weight room. And quite frankly, most aren't qualified for that job. (I know I'm certainly not)

From 2008-2013 I was at a program that had the luxury of an on-campus S&C coach. A legit one. A pro power lifter. A 550lb bencher.
He was by far one of the most important guys on our staff.
Most schools don't have that luxury down here though. The money isn't there, especially at the urban schools where most of the athletes come from.

Advertisement
The reason imo is bc the talent we've had on Oline has always been sporadic. Hardly ever a year with just one solid cohesive unit. We had stretches of guys like Orlando Franklin, Brandon Washington, Brandon Linder, Navaughn Donaldson, or even a Seantrel Henderson but they would always be at different stages of their development.

When was the last time we had one solid season of upperclassmen potential NFL OL prospects ready to dominate a season?

Agree with everything. Last time was in 2013 with Linder, John F, Seantrel, Shane McDermott/Wheeler, & Flowers. 2014 starting oline had good talent too

Spot-on.

Our high school S&C programs down here are a joke. Basically non-existent.
Most schools don't have the luxury of hiring a real S&C coach so the assistant football coaches handle the weight room. And quite frankly, most aren't qualified for that job. (I know I'm certainly not)

From 2008-2013 I was at a program that had the luxury of an on-campus S&C coach. A legit one. A pro power lifter. A 550lb bencher.
He was by far one of the most important guys on our staff.
Most schools don't have that luxury down here though. The money isn't there, especially at the urban schools where most of the athletes come from.

I seem to remember you for years diminishing the importance of SandC as it relates to the virus known as Swasey.

Have you come around on this?

Advertisement
If we have all these NFL O-linemen, why does it seem like we haven't been able to run for a first down on 3rd and 1 for years?

I think it’s more how unbalanced our OL’s would be. Seems like we always have a couple studs and a couple guys who shouldn’t be playing in the Power 5.

Precisely this, been that way a long time. We'd have Orlando Franklin at one spot and John Rockford at the other.

That list is skewed heavy on the front end. Tell me how many we have had drafted from 2008-2018. That is a sobering and telling statistic.

Advertisement
That list is skewed heavy on the front end. Tell me how many we have had drafted from 2008-2018. That is a sobering and telling statistic.

This. And also it just gives total number -- it doesn't say how high they were drafted.

LOL at the idea that there aren't big kinds in Florida. Aren't many high school lineman bigger than Neil or Lucas.

I seem to remember you for years diminishing the importance of SandC as it relates to the virus known as Swasey.

Have you come around on this?
I didn't diminish the importance of it at all. Never once did I say S&C wasn't important. I just didn't think Swasey was as big of a problem as yall thought he was. (but now I'll admit that he might've got complacent)

Advertisement
Back