Eye-opening tweet about our OL talent

Advertisement
So if games are won in the trenches, how have we lost so many games in that time frame. Our DL has almost always been good.

I get everybody on that list except: US, FSU, UF & Arizona State. Wouldn't have figured any of those four would be on it. **** sure wouldn't have figured we'd be that high. That's almost mind-boggling given the actual o-line play we've watched.

That said, this needs to be Searels' first sentence in the house of EVERY o-line recruit.

Would like to see the total broken out by rounds. Guessing we score on quantity, not necessarily quality.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So if games are won in the trenches, how have we lost so many games in that time frame. Our DL has almost always been good.

The reason imo is bc the talent we've had on Oline has always been sporadic. Hardly ever a year with just one solid cohesive unit. We had stretches of guys like Orlando Franklin, Brandon Washington, Brandon Linder, Navaughn Donaldson, or even a Seantrel Henderson but they would always be at different stages of their development.

When was the last time we had one solid season of upperclassmen potential NFL OL prospects ready to dominate a season?

The reason imo is bc the talent we've had on Oline has always been sporadic. Hardly ever a year with just one solid cohesive unit. We had stretches of guys like Orlando Franklin, Brandon Washington, Brandon Linder, Navaughn Donaldson, or even a Seantrel Henderson but they would always be at different stages of their development.

When was the last time we had one solid season of upperclassmen potential NFL OL prospects ready to dominate a season?
Well made point.

Advertisement
I see the list goes back to 2000, I'm curious where Miami would stand if the list went back to 2005. Pretty much every starting lineman from 2000-2002 got drafted. After that, it's been pretty hit and miss. When is the last time you can say O line was an actual strength of the team?

Yep, beat me to it. We've had talented players on the oline over the years but there always seems to be a weak spot(s).

Surprised to see Wisconsin and Iowa with more than Michigan and Ohio St.

Sure wouldn't have guessed that.

And even more surprised that we're #2 on the list.

Of course we did have some decent OL around the time of the championship team.

Hopefully with the higher quality of OL we seem to be getting we'll see more drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Advertisement
What is it about Wisconsin that makes good offensive linemen? Coaching, or players?

Culture/geography. Most of Wisconsin is farmland and rural plus its cold af too. Kids come out of high school a lot thicker more physical and tough.

Same way the culture/geography of Florida and breed a more wiry athletic player.

This is one of the biggest reasons I knew Golden would fail here. Kids coming out of high school in the southeast are rarely ever physical enough for power football and 2 gap systems.

Its a reason why that was the life blood of the big ten forever and still is for teams like Wisky, Iowa, Michigan, and Michigan State.

Just like The Midwest to west coast usually has all of the QBs.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...09336/college-football-recruiting-map-regions

Of note, eleven of these guys (including six of the last seven) were from South Florida

it's a crazy thought, we haven't been relevant i like 14 years, where as alabama has had an assembly line worth of success. now that we have great coaching watch out!!!

Yep, beat me to it. We've had talented players on the oline over the years but there always seems to be a weak spot(s).
This, it has been an overall problem within the program at every position. Our top 10-15 players usually matched up with any in the nation, it was the rest that were just sub par.

it's been said that O linemen aren't what they once were

you don't see orlando pace, boselli among others that much anymore in the nfl

lot of this is blamed on the spread offenses that are incorporated these days

Advertisement
Back