Expectations going forward?

Assemble a top-notch staff, filled with tireless recruiters.

Build better trenches.

Two consecutive solid portals.

Consistent top-10 recruiting classes.

Win a minimum of 9 next year.

Beat the people we are supposed to beat.

Beat FSU and consistently out-recruit them.

Win our division, more than once and consistently win double-digit games starting in '23.

Advertisement
Everyone has to understand that with Mario we’re going to be able to build a great roster but there’s going to be growing pains along the way. We’re going to lose games to teams we should beat. This whole “chalk up every ACC opponent besides Clemson as a W” thinking is wishful at best. Expecting an immediate bump to the top of college football isn’t realistic. We’re still a 9-10 win team in all honesty. That should be good enough to get us back to the ACCCG but we’re still a flawed team at a lot of positions.

Agree except, got to have #1 recruiting class in the ACC every year. That’s why we are paying Mario

Advertisement
10 wins or bust. You don't pay all that money and go through all that aggravation for 1 more win than Manny could've gotten.

9 wins with a heisman candidate qb starting from day 1 is bad.

Everyone has to understand that with Mario we’re going to be able to build a great roster but there’s going to be growing pains along the way. We’re going to lose games to teams we should beat. This whole “chalk up every ACC opponent besides Clemson as a W” thinking is wishful at best. Expecting an immediate bump to the top of college football isn’t realistic. We’re still a 9-10 win team in all honesty. That should be good enough to get us back to the ACCCG but we’re still a flawed team at a lot of positions.
100% correct. people are already setting themselves up for disappointment lol.

Advertisement
What say you?
How do you this playing out?

People can complain about Mario all they want. Talking heads on ESPN, fans, but the reality is no coach outside of Saban has done anything different.

-Kirby Smart has had some BAD losses at Georgia
-Ryan Day has had less time but also had some very questionable losses
-Brian Kelly has built Notre Dame into a questionable loss powerhouse
-Lincoln Riley has blown very simple games and gotten blown out in big ones

The truth is Cristobal's seasons have gone very similar to the coaches listed above, except he hasn't had that one break out season they've all had. He was very much on the verge this year. I don't know what else you want from the coaching world. You're not getting Saban so who else on that list could you get that I couldn't bring up 5 games and say, "look what he did in this game!"

If we have a bunch of 10 and 11 win seasons that's all you could ever ask for.

You gotta see what coordinators he hires. Without knowing that it’s impossible to even guess what happens.

What we can talk about right now is this defense isn’t getting any better without a lot of portal help. That’s gotta be priority number one. Then solidify the O line, and get TVD a vet on the outside to take Rambo’s place. Once those things happen, or don’t, we will have a much better idea of what next year looks like.

Advertisement
Short term, I really need to see them win the Coastal. Not backing into winning the Coastal with a bunch of conference losses and the other mediocre teams beating each other, either. Above all, I'm so tired of watching them lose to UNC and Virginia. That **** needs to stop ASAP.

As for Clemson and TAMU, may be a bit too much to ask to win those games right off the bat. However, I want to see them at least be competitive. That was what was most upsetting about the Alabama loss, that there was basically no fight until the game was hopeless and AL had already moved on.

I’m expecting Miami to play in the ACC championship game in year 1. Win or lose… Miami should win the coastal. By year 3 Miami should be in OU shoes, a close contender for the playoffs… but also maybe a pretender lol.

Advertisement
9-10 wins per season, every year.

The Coastal is absolute garbage, and will be again next year. Time for the Canes to take the throne in the ACCC Year 1, with an eye towards dominating the conference by Year 2.

I bumped an older thread from after the UNC game. This isn't a Randy or Golden situation. The cupboard is far from bare. Mario and staff have work to do at LB, CB, and OL and DL to an extent but everything else is loaded. Expectations should be high right out of the gate.

Has to do much better than Manny NO EXCUSES.

IF NOT....WTF is all the hoopla about?

Why do we expect growing pains when we insisted on getting a proven coach?

This team was on a roll in Manny's recent games. There's no reason why that shouldn't continue. We've said Manny's teams underperformed. With a good coach we should be performing at a much higher level with this team's talent.

With some additional defensive help I see only two justifiable losses next year.

Give me a break, I'm not going to hold a "much better coach" to lower expectations than I had for Manny

And so it begins...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back