Evidence njoku

He's a canes lock, his brother is already talking to the coaches to get him down in April. He's a lock

Advertisement
Do we take him over someone like Landers?

Hopefully it's not an either-or scenario. Landers shouldn't take a backseat to any receiver we've offered aside from Jeudy. Landers and Dingle should be top priorities, and Njoku's brother looks good as well.

Last edited:

Hopefully it's not an either-or scenario. Landers shouldn't take a backseat to any receiver we've offered aside from Jeudy. Landers and Dingle should be top priorities, and Njoku's brother looks good as well.

01Canes,
Sell me on Landers. Clearly he can get downfield, but his competition stinks, he's skinny, he doesn't snatch the ball (small hands?) and he doesn't seem to play big.

He's getting a ton of offers so I'm probably overemphasizing the negatives. But I wish we saw more of his game besides running by slow white guys on go routes.

01Canes,
Sell me on Landers. Clearly he can get downfield, but his competition stinks, he's skinny, he doesn't snatch the ball (small hands?) and he doesn't seem to play big.

He's getting a ton of offers so I'm probably overemphasizing the negatives. But I wish we saw more of his game besides running by slow white guys on go routes.

I may be dead wrong about him, but here's my view on Landers.

- We're coming off a multi-year stretch of having the prior staff prioritize big, slow plodders who can't separate or stretch the field. Wasn't a fan of Darrell Langham coming out of high school (obviously hope he develops into a contributor, though). Didn't like Freddie Pinder even as many here were gassing him up when Rivals had him as a high four-star recruit early in the process.

Landers looks like a really impressive athlete with outstanding short area quickness and long speed for a 6'5" receiver. His acceleration at that height jumped out when I first saw his clips. Also seems to have more RAC potential than most 6'4"-6'6" WRs. Played QB and WR as a sophomore in HS, so accumulating 1000+ yards and 15 TDs was impressive for someone in his first full year at wideout albeit against, as you mentioned, weak competition.

- Buddy is a string bean. He was listed at 6'4", 160 pounds two years ago and is currently listed at 6'5", 180. Presumably he'll start to fill out his tall, long frame when he enters an NCAA S&C program. If he's able to retain his speed/quickness as he adds quality weight, then his ceiling should be very high.

- You did mention my biggest concern with him, which is that he doesn't always play to his size. You don't want to see a 6'5" receiver letting the ball come to him rather than attacking it at its highest point like you see multiple times early in his junior highlights :)30, 1:48). But there are also examples (see 2:51 and 2:58 marks) of Landers high-pointing effectively in the red zone, which was promising.

I'm most anxious to see how much his ball skills improve from last season to this season. If we see more of him high-pointing like at 2:51/2:58 rather than :30/1:48, then that would obviously be ideal. If he doesn't become more consistent at it, then I'll have to reconsider my view on him.

We should take Dingle, Njoku, Landers, Smith, and Greene as our 5 in this class....all different in skill sets and different sizes

Advertisement

01Canes,

- We're coming off a multi-year stretch of having the prior staff prioritize big, slow plodders who can't separate or stretch the field. Wasn't a fan of Darrell Langham coming out of high school (obviously hope he develops into a contributor, though). Didn't like Freddie Pinder even as many here were gassing him up when Rivals had him as a high four-star recruit early in the process.

Landers looks like a really impressive athlete with outstanding short area quickness and long speed for a 6'5" receiver. His acceleration at that height jumped out when I first saw his clips. Also seems to have more RAC potential than most 6'4"-6'6" WRs. Played QB and WR as a sophomore in HS, so accumulating 1000+ yards and 15 TDs was impressive for someone in his first full year at wideout albeit against, as you mentioned, weak competition.

- Buddy is a string bean. He was listed at 6'4", 160 pounds two years ago and is currently listed at 6'5", 180. Presumably he'll start to fill out his tall, long frame when he enters an NCAA S&C program. If he's able to retain his speed/quickness as he adds quality weight, then his ceiling should be very high.

- You did mention my biggest concern with him, which is that he doesn't always play to his size. You don't want to see a 6'5" receiver letting the ball come to him rather than attacking it at its highest point like you see multiple times early in his junior highlights :)30, 1:48). But there are also examples (see 2:51 and 2:58 marks) of Landers high-pointing effectively in the red zone, which was promising.

I'm most anxious to see how much his ball skills improve from last season to this season. If we see more of him high-pointing like at 2:51/2:58 rather than :30/1:48, then that would obviously be ideal. If he doesn't become more consistent at it, then I'll have to reconsider my view on him.

Good stuff. The short-area explosion definitely jumps out. I think I'm just tramautized by the Lance Leggett experience.

01Canes,

Good stuff. The short-area explosion definitely jumps out. I think I'm just tramautized by the Lance Leggett experience.

Leggett was definitely brutal.

From watching Landers' highlights and seeing the stark contrast between the way he looked in his sophomore and junior highlights, I'm hopeful that he'll continue to blossom as he grows into his 6'5" frame. If he displays the ability to consistently high-point in contested situations this spring and during his senior season to go along with his height/length/speed/suddenness, then it'll be fascinating to see how his recruitment unfolds. Landers' potential is really intriguing and I'd be excited as **** if we land him.

On the flip side, I'm not as fond of Rodney Scott as many others here seem to be. The first catch in his junior highlights was absolutely ridiculous and he can certainly high-point, which is a very important attribute. But he looks outright slow at 167-175 pounds and had a quiet junior season (21 catches, < 13 YPC, 2 TDs).

Last edited:
Advertisement
On the flip side, I'm not as fond of Rodney Scott as many others here seem to be. The first catch in his junior highlights was absolutely ridiculous and he can certainly high-point, which is a very important attribute. But he looks outright slow at 167-175 pounds and had a quiet junior season (21 catches, < 13 YPC, 2 TDs).

I tend to agree. Good player but the lack of speed and quickness scares me.

He reminds me of Andre Davis at USF, who was productive and made spectacular catches but couldn't separate.

I tend to agree. Good player but the lack of speed and quickness scares me.

He reminds me of Andre Davis at USF, who was productive and made spectacular catches but couldn't separate.
On Scotts production the whole offence struggled. Kemore Gamble was the same. Not sure what the deal was with Southridge last year but they are loaded on O this year. Scott, Gamble, Wiggins, Pope, Bentavious at RB.

Picked up penn state offer today.
A little more than 2 weeks since signing day ended and he has picked up
Miami
uga
Tennessee
Penn state
And many more offers.. Not even spring evaluation period, evidence njoku about to blow up....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back