Everythings different in Louisville

Why are we bashing ourselves? There's no use in being negative about something we have zero control over. That's how mental illness starts. Lol.

Instead of saying that we're going to give up X yards or X points, why don't we talk about what we need to specifically improve to have a better performance this time around? The staff is the same for at least another year (maybe sooner if we have a mid season meltdown).

What does a Petrino offense do well? What does their new DC bring to the table? How can we attack them? What turn over do they have in personnel? Who are their stars? Who are their biggest question marks?

Where have we improved? What can we use to our favor? What known characteristics of our team will help us against Petrino and Co.? Who needs to step up for us to win and to have a successful season?

Instead of crying before our beating (not saying that we're going to lose), why don't we use our brains and have a meaningful discussion?

Advertisement
I think he will do big things in UL. As for our game, I don't think they will be a finished product on September 1....too much going on

New HC,
New DC and Defense,
New OC and Offense,
Bridgewater gone,
Copeland gone,
Defensive Starters gone (Preston Brown (ILB Leading Tackler), Calvin Pryor (S Potential 1st Round Pick), Hakeem Smith (S All-Conference), Marcus Smith (DE 14.5 Sacks/18.5 TFL) and Brandon Dunn (DT), and
Petrino has to develop a relationship with kids he never recruited.

Agree

No doubt about pertrino is a good coach. He just doesn't have the personnel for his system yet. Once he does. It's going to be he'll. Another note is that he will have to fight in state Kentucky for recruits now where as before Kentucky was irrelevant

What makes you think uk is relevant now? Was it their 2-10 season last year? This ain't basketball, you start freshman, your gonna lose.

As CARD fan, Duke Johnson scares me vs our first game with a new DC. We did run a lot of 3-4 last year, so I do not think it is as much a change as people let on and we definitely have the players to run it, although we could use a good NT, but who doesn't.

Negged forever. GTFOutta here.

First game is a crap shoot. All about prep and how well the coaching staff can minimize mistakes. Probably best predictor is history if first games against good opponents by the head coaches involved.

Are you a UL fan? How did you end up here?

Their Scout board is making fun of this thread-
http:// http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2759&t=12813162

Somebody feed that link to the WEZ please. :drevil:

Bahahaha! Throw them to the wolves!

Their defense got hit bad this off-season, combined with the implementation of a new scheme, it may be hard for them to be solid.

Preston Brown (starting ILB, led team in tackles),
Calvin Pryor (starting Safety, possible 1st round pick)
Hakeem Smith (starting Safety, All-American Conf Team)
Marcus Smith (starting DE had 18.5 TFL and 14.5 Sacks [2 against us]), and
Brandon Dunn (starting DT) are gone.

Yes, we lost some stars, but as you guys know, Strong was doing a great job recruiting Florida. Gerod Holliman, Keith Brown, Chucky Williams, and a host of other highly rated guys either missed time, redshirted or were running with the twos. The cupboard is far from bare. Sure, there will be an adjustment, but this is the most talented college team Petrino has ever had. If he can get Garner to perform at the level of his previous QB's our offense is going to be scary.

Duke still scares me, especially in the first contest. Win or lose, I am thrilled to be in the ACC and have a chance to play against a team such as the Canes. Its an honor and a dream come true. :quag:

Advertisement
Welcome MD - nice to have an opposing viewpoint that isn't a complete dillwad. Welcome aboard! (There's an ignore button for your convenience in case things get surly...)
Thanks. Too much change from last year to predict with great certainty. I think there are the tools that Petrino needs and wants on offense in place. I just don't know if he can get it together before the first game. First games are usually that way anyway. Lots of nerves, excitement etc.

Strong strengths were his recruiting and game planning if he had time (see bowl games). Petrino is also game planing but also he is a much better in game coach and I think he coaches up a team better. With our talent level last year we should have walked our schedule.

The team will be ready to play. It will be down to if enough timing etc has taken hold to avoid mistakes.

Petrino has a very good record on opening day.

I do have questions on our defensive philosophy change.

I think he will do big things in UL. As for our game, I don't think they will be a finished product on September 1....too much going on

New HC, Petrino is a huge upgrade from Strong coaching wise
New DC and Defense, jury's still out on whether Grantham can continue our success on defense, Bedford is the only assistant I wish would've stayed
New OC and Offense, HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade from last year, Watson ran one of the most boring, vanilla offenses in the country that averaged less than 30 ppg against a crappy AAC schedule; Petrino is one of the best playcallers in college football
Bridgewater gone, big loss but Petrino can coach up the QB position better than anyone
Copeland gone five out of our top 6 WRs are back
Defensive Starters gone (Preston Brown (ILB Leading Tackler), Calvin Pryor (S Potential 1st Round Pick), Hakeem Smith (S All-Conference), Marcus Smith (DE 14.5 Sacks/18.5 TFL) and Brandon Dunn (DT) we do lose a lot on defense but our 2nd string played a lot of minutes last season; we may give up more points than last year but with a Petrino offense you don't need a lights out defense to win games
Petrino has to develop a relationship with kids he never recruited. not a huge deal, the players have bought into the program and know what it takes to be successful
Anyway, should be a great game between our teams come Labor Day. Can't wait to play an ACC schedule.

New HC, Petrino is a huge upgrade from Strong coaching wise
New DC and Defense, jury's still out on whether Grantham can continue our success on defense, Bedford is the only assistant I wish would've stayed
New OC and Offense, HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade from last year, Watson ran one of the most boring, vanilla offenses in the country that averaged less than 30 ppg against a crappy AAC schedule; Petrino is one of the best playcallers in college football
Bridgewater gone, big loss but Petrino can coach up the QB position better than anyone
Copeland gone five out of our top 6 WRs are back
Defensive Starters gone (Preston Brown (ILB Leading Tackler), Calvin Pryor (S Potential 1st Round Pick), Hakeem Smith (S All-Conference), Marcus Smith (DE 14.5 Sacks/18.5 TFL) and Brandon Dunn (DT) we do lose a lot on defense but our 2nd string played a lot of minutes last season; we may give up more points than last year but with a Petrino offense you don't need a lights out defense to win games
Petrino has to develop a relationship with kids he never recruited. not a huge deal, the players have bought into the program and know what it takes to be successful
Anyway, should be a great game between our teams come Labor Day. Can't wait to play an ACC schedule.

I have no doubt that Petrino is a better coach than Strong. Here is the thing, I don't care about your product long-term. I only care about your product GAME 1 of the Petrino era. We don't even play UL every year, I really only care about GAME 1.

Changing a full coaching staff (even bringing in the best in the world) doesn't guarantee that results will follow ASAP. Nick Saban comes to Alabama and he goes 7-6 with a loss at home to a 6-6 Louisiana-Monroe squad.

Sometimes it takes time to implement the plan and the playbook, sometimes the HC doesn't have the weapons he needs to optimize his plan.

I don't think week 1 Petrino will have everything in place and that is all I am saying.

Advertisement
Petrino struggled his first year at Arkansas especially early on nearly losing to a d2 school.
First game of the year is probably the best time to play a petrino coached team.

The difference with Petrino taking over Arkansas is it was a struggling program in a deep conference division. Louisville has just come off back to back 10 win seasons. There is certainly more depth but the coaching challenge isn't the sane and there are players already in place. I do expect to lose a game or two that makes one wonder WTF?

The difference with Petrino taking over Arkansas is it was a struggling program in a deep conference division.

Arkansas was not that bad before Petrino took over. Arkansas was 8-5 (4-4) and 10-4 (7-1) the two seasons before he took over. Petrino went 5-7 (2-6) in his first season.

Advertisement
I'll leave this here

Jeff Greer ‏@jeffgreer_cj 1m

Will Gardner tonight: 32 of 37, 542 yards, four touchdowns, one interception.

Vs a ****** Louisville defense

How can any human being that happens to be a Canes fan even type that sentence in good faith?

We have one of the worst defenses in the nation. I think it's fair to say there's a good chance UL's is better.

What I would give to have Petrino here.

The difference with Petrino taking over Arkansas is it was a struggling program in a deep conference division. Louisville has just come off back to back 10 win seasons. There is certainly more depth but the coaching challenge isn't the sane and there are players already in place. I do expect to lose a game or two that makes one wonder WTF?

Struggling program my ***. Arkansas was 2 years removed from winning the SEC West and had won 8 games the year prior to Petrino taking over with one of the wins being against the #1 team in the nation at the time in LSU.

It is known that first years are transition years especially when coaches are coming in from the outside with completely new systems.
Don't expect for Petrino to come in and pick up where Strong left off. Especially in the first game.

Advertisement
Petrino v. Dorito and Snooki v someone other than Dorito. Luckily there will be a lot of bourbon around.

Petrino vs Golden/Dorito/Coley

Prepare thy collective anuses Canes fans.

141.gif

Struggling program my ***. Arkansas was 2 years removed from winning the SEC West and had won 8 games the year prior to Petrino taking over with one of the wins being against the #1 team in the nation at the time in LSU.

It is known that first years are transition years especially when coaches are coming in from the outside with completely new systems.
Don't expect for Petrino to come in and pick up where Strong left off. Especially in the first game.

:ibisroflmao:

Advertisement
Back