ESPN: NFL Analysts saying Kaaya made a Mistake by coming out

jed2410

Freshman
Premium
They just ran a segment on notable early draft entrants and at the end they did a quick blurb on QBs who made a mistake.....it was pretty much a Kaaya highlight reel

Advertisement
No! They are wrong! Kaaya is ready for the league! He's a mobile, physical, unaffected by pressure, strong armed and vocal leader.
(the comments expressed here do not reflect the opinion of this site or the person that posted it.)

I mean they are not wrong

he is going to be a developmental guy wherever he goes because of his poor footwork. I think a team will get him in the 4th round

Advertisement
Everybody except him knows he's making a mistake by coming out early...

I don't hate him, appreciate everything he did during his time here, it sucks he never won any Big games for us, other than the RAB.

Talented passer, when he's on his game he's pretty **** good, but when he's not he's below average.

I think he would be better off staying his Senior year, but if he wants to go, then bye Felicia...

I've already moved on & am looking forward to seeing this team with a new QB at the helm... Bring on the Weldon/Perry era!

Last edited:
No! They are wrong! Kaaya is ready for the league! He's a mobile, physical, unaffected by pressure, strong armed and vocal leader.
(the comments expressed here do not reflect the opinion of this site or the person that posted it.)

You forgot all his Top 25 wins

I think Kaaya definitely could have increased his personal stock had he stayed another year.
However, next year he also had no shot in **** of being one of the top 2 QBs off the board.
Between Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold, those two are both potential 1st overall picks.
Theres also Josh Allen from Wyoming whos getting 1st round hype this year as the next Carson Wentz but hasn't actually declared yet.
Then theres Lamar Jackson who is the top Dual Threat QB for next year.

My point is he may be a better player next year, but his actual draft prospects wont change much. There is no way in **** he gets drafted ahead of Rosen or Darnold if he stays. His only hope next year of not being the 3rd-5th qb taken (like he will be this yr), is that those two don't enter the draft.

So taking that into consideration, sure he may not be a 1st round qb, but I also don't think he falls past the 3rd round. So He's probably thinking that he'd rather get coached and prepared by NFL coaches while making money. Especially if he isn't ready for the NFL, the best place to actually prepare for the NFL is in the NFL.
Right now the way it looks, he will be drafted by a team to be the back up and future starter. I think that is a perfect situation for him to enter. If he can get drafted, sit on the bench and make money, and learn and work his way to being a starter in 2-4 years I think that is the best thing for him.

This isn't a mistake. This is the same thing Yearby is doing, except kaaya is going to be a much higher pick.

Advertisement
What's Brad's ceiling at the end of the day? How much better was he realistically going to get next year?

He probably feels he can close whatever gaps he has in his game the next few months working w his little QB coach and whoever CAA pairs him up with. Worse case scenario he gets drafted low and is still cashing a check for the next 4 years riding the pine as opposed to coming back next year and risking an injury playing behind an awful OL or a coach who clearly prefers someone besides a statue running his offense.

I wish he'd stay, but I don't blame him.

What's done is done. The Rudy Carpenters of the world will have to live with the result, good or bad, almost as much as Kaaya. I still have a hard time believing Rick even remotely suggested this was the best move for him but I doubt he'll ever pull a Pete Carroll and tell us.

It doesn't help us at all though to hope that he does anything but succeed and actually rep the program well because it's not like any kids down the line are going to view a negative result as a cautionary tale they should consider. I lost faith when Kaaya declared in ever assuming there's certain "type" of kid that'd stay until he's absolutely ready.

Last edited:
"Talented Passer" - Those guys never last. The NFL wants winners and leaders. He has been neither. I don't understand this decision, but it kind of shows the type of person he is. He never had the swag! Good riddance.

Huge mistake. With his putrid footwork in the pocket and inability to extend plays for even a second, he will get murdered in the NFL. He'll get the yips and start throwing while falling backward like he did on that early pass against WVU.

He stands a better chance of being cut than he does of being a starter.

Advertisement
Huge mistake. With his putrid footwork in the pocket and inability to extend plays for even a second, he will get murdered in the NFL. He'll get the yips and start throwing while falling backward like he did on that early pass against WVU.

You're assuming he'll stay uninjured long enough to even fall victim to the yips. I'm not so sure about that. Perhaps it was because he allowed himself to be a stiff target (in conjunction with poor o-line protection) but he always seemed to crumple much faster than a kid that they actually had shed pounds should have. Even goin back and watching the Clements and Covingtons and Berlins that we've had, they all seemed to have more solid physiques. I always found myself (like with Dorsey) thinking that this kid is one big hit from being seriously hurt.

Look he coulda stayed but this was the year for him to be a top 3 (ok 4...) rnd pick. No chance in 2018 and we all know it. He made the right decision to come out. Wish him the best. Its totally a numbers game now going to the draft and you guys need to put on his shoes for a second and think about what hes seeing. Its clear as day. I would have left 10 out of 10 times if I was him. The earlier you start on your rookie deal the quicker you can get to your second contract and actually make some money. The bleak QB class this year gives him all the more reason to bounce.

Bet Yerby makes a squad and becomes a serviceable RB as well by leaving early.

Advertisement

Think you're wrong. He was never going to be a year 1 NFL starter in the 1st place. Him staying wasn't going to make him one. No better place to learn how to play QB than with NFL QB coaches. This also puts him in a position to learn an actual NFL offense and for him to earn his 2nd paycheck quicker. A team that drafts him will be drafting him to develop him for the future. I'd think the Chargers, Saints, Giants, Patriots ( I expect Garoppolo to be traded this offseason) would be teams that could draft him in the 2nd-3rd round.

I think given a couple years in an NFL program could make him an NFL calibur starter. But yeah if he gets drafted and has to start immediately, he's not going to be good. He'd need the team to have an all star OL, to even be below average, but the Raiders, Cowboys, Titans, etc already have qbs of the future. Saints probably have the best OL with a true opening at the QB.

I think most of us already know this.

Not the best decision by him, but hopefully he'll find his way onto a team and have a few years of NFL paychecks....

They just ran a segment on notable early draft entrants and at the end they did a quick blurb on QBs who made a mistake.....it was pretty much a Kaaya highlight reel

How does he compare to Ryan mallet? That's the last guy who as immobile as Kaaya that I can think of

Advertisement
Back