Ermon Lane

So Lane told the guys at the opening he would narrow his list in the beginning of August. Is that still true to anyone's knowledge?

He said he might also commit in August. I could care less about his list, we already know who's the top contenders for him.

Advertisement
Lane tweeted something like, "you will know my choice in early August" or something to that effect. Kinda surprising since he was supposed to be a signing day guy. Maybe he was trolling, IDK. He obviously knows that alot of Miami fans think he's eliminated us because he tweeted something about "why do people think I eliminated Miami?" also. I think he reads message boards.

I really hope he picks Miami still but like I've said a million times, we will be just fine at WR even if we signed no recievers this class. And that's not gonna happen so we good. Nobody can deny how filthy a future of Coley and Lane split out wide for The U would be though. I hope Ermon can't deny it either.

Was or is Percy Harvin even actually that good? Stats from college and pro look pretty average for Urban to still be selling folks on him.

Lol, Tebow rode to his Heisman victory on the backs of Harvin and Louis Murphy. And Dennis Dixon's shredded knee. Point is, Harvin's a baller.

He also stated on his Twitter, once he commits its over...so...Hope fore the best...

He would be a nice complement to the class...I mean Coley on one side and him on the other YIKES
I mean throw Lewis in the slot Its a WRAP....How about just run crossing routes...man

That could get silly...But we will be fine either way...I just think he would commit WR suicide if he goes to UF

Advertisement
so a receiver should go to miami because miami had great receivers in the late 80's and mid 90's? alrighty then. no question a receiver could do **** good for himself attending miami, but the same is true for multiple schools. and choosing a school based on what their recievers did 10-20 years ago is ridiculous.

and like i said before, those guys would have been beasts anywhere they went. you want to make this a school thing when its really a player thing. julio jones played in a run-heavy offense and he was a beast from day 1. why? because he was just that good. and he would have been just that good even if he went to akron rather than bama, the school has nothing to do with it. if lane is as good as people are making him out to be where he attends school really doesn't matter, he'll shine regardless.

So a WR should go to a school that has only produced 1 quality WR ever?

so a receiver should go to miami because miami had great receivers in the late 80's and mid 90's? alrighty then. no question a receiver could do **** good for himself attending miami, but the same is true for multiple schools. and choosing a school based on what their recievers did 10-20 years ago is ridiculous.

and like i said before, those guys would have been beasts anywhere they went. you want to make this a school thing when its really a player thing. julio jones played in a run-heavy offense and he was a beast from day 1. why? because he was just that good. and he would have been just that good even if he went to akron rather than bama, the school has nothing to do with it. if lane is as good as people are making him out to be where he attends school really doesn't matter, he'll shine regardless.

who said that? this whole discussion has gotten sideways and silly at this point.

fact: since 95' uf has sent 17 receivers to the nfl, the most of any school in that timeframe. now have they been super studs in the nfl or as successful as some of miami's receivers? no, but that's not a school issue, they are getting to the nfl. the success at that level depends on so much that to reduce it down to which school they attended is retarded. if that were the case, guys from the mac and other lower level conferences wouldn't succeed in the nfl. fit with the team, stability of the organization, coach, scheme, how players adapt to nfl life, etc. all play a role in their success/failure.

who said that? this whole discussion has gotten sideways and silly at this point.

fact: since 95' uf has sent 17 receivers to the nfl, the most of any school in that timeframe. now have they been super studs in the nfl or as successful as some of miami's receivers? no, but that's not a school issue, they are getting to the nfl. the success at that level depends on so much that to reduce it down to which school they attended is retarded. if that were the case, guys from the mac and other lower level conferences wouldn't succeed in the nfl. fit with the team, stability of the organization, coach, scheme, how players adapt to nfl life, etc. all play a role in their success/failure.

What a random year? 1995? I will see you 17 and raise you 20.

NFL Players at WR from Miami since 1995

1. Travis Benjamin
2. Laron Byrd
3. Tommy Streeter
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Devin Hester
6. Sinorce Moss
7. Santana Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Andre Johnson
10. Roscoe Parrish
11. Yatil Green
12. Daryl Jones
13. A.C. Tellison
14. Tony Gaiter
15. Andre King
16. Jammi German
17. Darnell Jenkins
18. Chris T. Jones
19. Lance Leggett
20. Jason Geathers

Last edited:
Advertisement

1. Travis Benjamin
2. Laron Byrd
3. Tommy Streeter
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Devin Hester
6. Sinorce Moss
7. Santana Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Andre Johnson
10. Roscoe Parrish
11. Yatil Green
12. Daryl Jones
13. A.C. Tellison
14. Tony Gaiter
15. Andre King
16. Jammi German
17. Darnell Jenkins
18. Chris T. Jones
19. Lance Leggett
20. Jason Geathers

drafted. either way, completely irrelevant to my main point which is that a receiver can succeed wherever he goes, that goes for any player really. to try to act like uf hasn't or doesn't send receivers to the pros or that miami hasn't had receiver busts in recent years is ridiculous. bottom line, a receiver can do good for himself at miami or uf if he's good enough.

Receiver is really the one position where your success is extremely dependent on the surrounding parts. There are countless WRs in college and the NFL that have underproduced their talent level because of their QB and offensive system. Bad QB, bad system, bad supporting WRs against a good defense will severly limit your production. Even if you're really good.

Receiver is really the one position where your success is extremely dependent on the surrounding parts. There are countless WRs in college and the NFL that have underproduced their talent level because of their QB and offensive system. Bad QB, bad system, bad supporting WRs against a good defense will severly limit your production. Even if you're really good.

Eddie Freaking Brown!!! Guy was a complete total stud, had everything, went on to manage a solid career at Cincy, but that's just it he played with the Bungles, goes to the right team and trust me the argument would have been who's greater him or Jerry Rice. And yes he was that good. Ask any former Cane or NFL player of that era (obviously if you have an opportunity) they would all agree. Guy was a stud, and I love Dre, but the best WR to come out of Miami High was Eddie then Dre

1. Travis Benjamin
2. Laron Byrd
3. Tommy Streeter
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Devin Hester
6. Sinorce Moss
7. Santana Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Andre Johnson
10. Roscoe Parrish
11. Yatil Green
12. Daryl Jones
13. A.C. Tellison
14. Tony Gaiter
15. Andre King
16. Jammi German
17. Darnell Jenkins
18. Chris T. Jones
19. Lance Leggett
20. Jason Geathers

drafted. either way, completely irrelevant to my main point which is that a receiver can succeed wherever he goes, that goes for any player really. to try to act like uf hasn't or doesn't send receivers to the pros or that miami hasn't had receiver busts in recent years is ridiculous. bottom line, a receiver can do good for himself at miami or uf if he's good enough.

**** it Consigliere, you let the oof gayturd sound logical and rational. No soup for you!!

Advertisement

1. Travis Benjamin
2. Laron Byrd
3. Tommy Streeter
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Devin Hester
6. Sinorce Moss
7. Santana Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Andre Johnson
10. Roscoe Parrish
11. Yatil Green
12. Daryl Jones
13. A.C. Tellison
14. Tony Gaiter
15. Andre King
16. Jammi German
17. Darnell Jenkins
18. Chris T. Jones
19. Lance Leggett
20. Jason Geathers

You're point is logical, but to say that it isn't easier for a WR to succeed based on which school they go to is retarded. A stud WR will be a stud if he goes to Miami or to Akron, but the exposure that WR gets at Miami won't even be on the same level, and it's DIRECTLY attributed to the amount of talent we have sent to , and still competing in the NFL. It's the exposure they get at Miami that makes that 6th rounder from Akron that shows out the comnine into a 2nd or 3rd rounder. GMs, coaches, and scouts from EVERY NFL team come to Coral Gables for our pro days even when we have a 7 win season, because they know the culture that has been established here. It's the same culture that brings in former players, 'Canes AND Gayturds, to train here in the offseason. Why do you think there are pictures of Rex Grossman and the Pouncy ***gots training in Miami in the offseason? Is it because they are magically not allowed in Gainesville when they graduate? No, it's because the culture here has been established and continues to this day even though we are a mediocre program.

Lane can run routes and train with Dre and Santana in the offseason, not to mention the bevy of ex-pros that live in the Miami area (ala Hank training with Mark Duper), what other program can claim that?

1. Travis Benjamin
2. Laron Byrd
3. Tommy Streeter
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Devin Hester
6. Sinorce Moss
7. Santana Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Andre Johnson
10. Roscoe Parrish
11. Yatil Green
12. Daryl Jones
13. A.C. Tellison
14. Tony Gaiter
15. Andre King
16. Jammi German
17. Darnell Jenkins
18. Chris T. Jones
19. Lance Leggett
20. Jason Geathers

The part in bold, why are you making this point and then giving us some irrelevant BS about more WR in the NFL.

Two things

1. No one REALLY cares what you think, and

2. Andrew Luck

Last edited:
If you like to block more than catch, then yes UF is a good school for top WRs.

I don't know about you, but if I am a top WR recruit w/ options of going anywhere, then the last place I'm going is to a program that has a run heavy offense that is known for having MANY top WR recruit busts(UF), and had a game last season (Driskel will be your starting QB next year also) w/ only 61 yards passing, or you could go to a team that airs it out like UM and add your name to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List by even having a pretty inconsistent sophomore season(Dorsett was lights out some games and disappeared in others). **** Dorsett had 2 TD catches over 61 yards lol. UF WRs won't get the opportunity to showcase their skills like other WRs (the smart ones) who choose a school that actually passes the ball.

I'm sure that top WR recruits would rather be in a system that allows them to get stats like the ones Dorsett got last season (842 receiving yards and four TDs on 58 catches and ranked second on the team with 21 plays of 25+ yards. He also recorded seven receptions of 40+ yards, including two TD receptions of 60+ yards) and that was with us spreading the ball around to a bunch of different WRs, compared to UFs top receiver (who was their TE) Jordan Reed with 45 receptions for 559 yards and 3 TDs. Their best WR last season was Quinton Dunbar who only had 36 receptions for 383 yards and 4 TDs with his longest reception being only 26 yards.

Forget about all the top WRs we have put into the NFL for a second, not just WRs drafted but top WRs in the NFL (4 that will have 10K yards receiving in the NFL after this season), forget them for a second and just look at how much better our current players did this past year compared to UF WRs.

UF's receiving stats for 2012:

PLAYER REC YDS AVG LONG TD
Jordan Reed 45 559 12.4 39 3
Quinton Dunbar 36 383 10.6 26 4
Frankie Hammond 22 295 13.4 75 3
Omarius Hines 23 242 10.5 52 0
Trey Burton 18 172 9.6 32 1
Mike Gillislee 16 159 9.9 45 1

UM's receiving stats for 2012:

Phillip Dorsett 58 842 14.5 65 4
Rashawn Scott 35 512 14.6 76 3
Clive Walford 25 451 18.0 65 4
Davon Johnson 21 348 16.6 41 0
Mike James 30 344 11.5 72 3
Allen Hurns 28 314 11.2 40 4
Herb Waters 10 227 22.7 87 2
Duke Johnson 27 221 8.2 50 1
Kendal Thompkins 6 89 14.8 37 1
Malcolm Lewis 8 73 9.1 18 1

Advertisement
Of course a WR can have success at any school, but why not put yourself in a better position for success by going to a school that airs it out and has a solid history of producing top WRs like UM. They have produced some of the best the NFL has ever seen. (10K yards in a NFL career is just crazy)

And UF has produced well... just Percy Harvin (and lets see if he ever gets 10K)

If you like to block more than catch, then yes UF is a good school for top WRs.

I don't know about you, but if I am a top WR recruit w/ options of going anywhere, then the last place I'm going is to a program that has a run heavy offense that is known for having MANY top WR recruit busts(UF), and had a game last season (Driskel will be your starting QB next year also) w/ only 61 yards passing, or you could go to a team that airs it out like UM and add your name to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List by even having a pretty inconsistent sophomore season(Dorsett was lights out some games and disappeared in others). **** Dorsett had 2 TD catches over 61 yards lol. UF WRs won't get the opportunity to showcase their skills like other WRs (the smart ones) who choose a school that actually passes the ball.

I'm sure that top WR recruits would rather be in a system that allows them to get stats like the ones Dorsett got last season (842 receiving yards and four TDs on 58 catches and ranked second on the team with 21 plays of 25+ yards. He also recorded seven receptions of 40+ yards, including two TD receptions of 60+ yards) and that was with us spreading the ball around to a bunch of different WRs, compared to UFs top receiver (who was their TE) Jordan Reed with 45 receptions for 559 yards and 3 TDs. Their best WR last season was Quinton Dunbar who only had 36 receptions for 383 yards and 4 TDs with his longest reception being only 26 yards.

Forget about all the top WRs we have put into the NFL for a second, not just WRs drafted but top WRs in the NFL (4 that will have 10K yards receiving in the NFL after this season), forget them for a second and just look at how much better our current players did this past year compared to UF WRs.

UF's receiving stats for 2012:

Jordan Reed 45 559 12.4 39 3
Quinton Dunbar 36 383 10.6 26 4
Frankie Hammond 22 295 13.4 75 3
Omarius Hines 23 242 10.5 52 0
Trey Burton 18 172 9.6 32 1
Mike Gillislee 16 159 9.9 45 1

UM's receiving stats for 2012:

Phillip Dorsett 58 842 14.5 65 4
Rashawn Scott 35 512 14.6 76 3
Clive Walford 25 451 18.0 65 4
Davon Johnson 21 348 16.6 41 0
Mike James 30 344 11.5 72 3
Allen Hurns 28 314 11.2 40 4
Herb Waters 10 227 22.7 87 2
Duke Johnson 27 221 8.2 50 1
Kendal Thompkins 6 89 14.8 37 1
Malcolm Lewis 8 73 9.1 18 1

And Scott would of been in the 750-800 yards range and probably had another 2-3 tds had he not been suspended for the last 3 games against horrible defenses like UVA,USF,DUKE..

Of course a WR can have success at any school, but why not put yourself in a better position for success by going to a school that airs it out and has a solid history of producing top WRs like UM. They have produced some of the best the NFL has ever seen. (10K yards in a NFL career is just crazy)

And UF has produced well... just Percy Harvin (and lets see if he ever gets 10K)

so their production in the nfl is directly attributable to attending miami and not their individual talent, the qb's throwing to them in the pros, the system they play in in the nfl, etc.? ok then. ridiculous, but ok have at it. if that's the case nfl teams should just draft every draft eligible receiver from miami, that's basically the argument.

1. Travis Benjamin
2. Laron Byrd
3. Tommy Streeter
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Devin Hester
6. Sinorce Moss
7. Santana Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Andre Johnson
10. Roscoe Parrish
11. Yatil Green
12. Daryl Jones
13. A.C. Tellison
14. Tony Gaiter
15. Andre King
16. Jammi German
17. Darnell Jenkins
18. Chris T. Jones
19. Lance Leggett
20. Jason Geathers

You're point is logical, but to say that it isn't easier for a WR to succeed based on which school they go to is retarded. A stud WR will be a stud if he goes to Miami or to Akron, but the exposure that WR gets at Miami won't even be on the same level, and it's DIRECTLY attributed to the amount of talent we have sent to , and still competing in the NFL. It's the exposure they get at Miami that makes that 6th rounder from Akron that shows out the comnine into a 2nd or 3rd rounder. GMs, coaches, and scouts from EVERY NFL team come to Coral Gables for our pro days even when we have a 7 win season, because they know the culture that has been established here. It's the same culture that brings in former players, 'Canes AND Gayturds, to train here in the offseason. Why do you think there are pictures of Rex Grossman and the Pouncy ***gots training in Miami in the offseason? Is it because they are magically not allowed in Gainesville when they graduate? No, it's because the culture here has been established and continues to this day even though we are a mediocre program.

Lane can run routes and train with Dre and Santana in the offseason, not to mention the bevy of ex-pros that live in the Miami area (ala Hank training with Mark Duper), what other program can claim that?

maybe in the 80's or even early 90's but i don't think the same is true today. guys from smaller schools get a **** ton of exposure these days, just look at the draft, nobody really cares where they come from these days. and they shouldn't, either you can ball or you can't.

as to athletes coming to miami every offseason, they do so because well, its miami. its one of the greatest cities in the world with hot *** running around everywhere. a lot of them have homes there and it's a vacation destination for those who don't. the same is true for nba and mlb players who litter miami ever offseason. one drive down south beach in the summer and you'll see **** near every celebrity and famous athlete you can think of during the summer, i know i have. that really has **** to do with miami (the school) and its culture as much as guys training where they are while they're on break. do no other schools have a culture of hard work? you're basicallya arguing that because some players work out in miami during the offseason, they prefer miami's 'culture' over their own school. but yet former miami players like beason were going elsewhere to work out for example...or the miami kids who went elsewhere to prepare for the combine. so should that be an indictment on miami's training or culture? of course not. you're reading too much into that point, tons of athletes hang out in miami during the summer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back