Entire UM Baseball Staff ....

You're making an assumption to imply that anyone thinks the glaring problem isn't Morris being 10 years past his prime and bunting us out of the national picture. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to be on level ground with everyone else when it comes to resources. We were the last Power 5 school to build an IPF and are likely the last school who aren't employing what's out there in terms of analytics and machinery. Hopefully it's because we have a dinosaur for a head coach. Get your heads out of the sand.

Advertisement
The talent was obviously there for some of our local kids like Collins and Abreu, both of whom had a private coach so they could use modern technology and have a shot at getting drafted (so I was told). But once they got to the CWS, they along with everyone else struck out looking.

This gets better and better.

So you're saying that Collins and Abreu could hit all year long, including the Super Regionals, but once they got to Omaha, Nebraska, they struck out looking because we had no technology at Miami.

The reality? We struck out in Omaha because we weren't playing Virginia Commonwealth anymore. We really weren't that good all along.

The handful of guys (mainly Collins, Abreu, Lopez) who accounted for most of the production were clearly better than kids like James Davison and Michael Burns. So yes, better recruiting yields better results. But it just so happens that the only kids who left here better than when they arrived were forced to seek and pay for outside help because Miami offered them no chance to improve.

Romy Gonzalez was a really good hitter in high school. I wonder what went wrong?

Yes, you have it figured out. We need to see what you've seen all along.

I'm just passing along what I heard, and why I think it should make you angry.

Your refusal to acknowledge that we're way behind everyone else isn't my problem.

Advertisement
Zack Collins was a .300/10/50 guy the minute he stepped on campus.

Collins was absolutely going to be a stud here no matter what. Same with Abreu. Those guys will be in the MLB within the next two seasons as Collins is in AA and Abreu is crushing High A. These guys do not grow on trees, considering we haven't had a dude like those two since the 2013 recruiting class. Recruiting is a major problem. So is development. These guys aren't getting better.

The only reason kids still commit to play here is because of our past, and this will get worse before it gets better if we don't begin offering the same advantages as everyone else. While our rivals are using sabermetrics, indoor/covered batting cages to compensate for weather and computerized simulators, we're still using the same Tom Emanski Defensive Drills videos while bunting every time someone gets on base and expecting to keep up.

I promise you we'll need to put more money into the program or we'll be permanently behind UF, FSU, FIU, UCF, FAU. You either need to accept this and hope we begin catching up with everyone else once Morris leaves, or keep believing that these things don't matter and blindly expect to remain relevant.

Last edited:
I love how you guys just thought of this stuff within the last two days.

College sports are all about recruiting. We're a shell of our former selves because we have lazy recruiters. If we work harder in recruiting, we will win with an uncovered batting cage just like we used to.

Advertisement
College sports is about access to resources and creating advantages. You can't recruit without things to offer. Wake up lol.

It's why Richt donated 1M to the IPF, never shuts up about the weather and places so much importance on former players remaining active and around the program. That's the best we've got to offer.

College sports is about access to resources and creating advantages. You can't recruit without things to offer. Wake up lol.

It's why Richt donated 1M to the IPF, never shuts up about the weather and places so much importance on former players remaining active and around the program. That's the best we've got to offer.

And the goalposts move once again. First we couldn't recruit because tuition is too high. Apparently that issue is solved because now we can't recruit because of our facilities.

"We had an elite recruiting class!!!"

Oh yeah, then why are we 17-22?

"Uh......how can you expect us to recruit without high tech facilities??????"

And so goes another day on CIS.

Advertisement
The baseball program needs indoor batting cages like the football program needs an IPF. Lack of an IPF isn't why the football program has been mediocre for the past 15 years, but it's absolutely something the program needed to keep up with the rest of college football.

Morris has wanted indoor batting cages for a few years now, but from what I've heard Blake wasn't going to allow a competing fundraising project until football got what it needed.

The Light is probably in need of another facelift overall given the way other programs around college baseball are building and renovating. Doubt it happens anytime soon though.

Advertisement
I don't know if Morris is embarrassed to go out like this, but I'm embarrassed for him. He could have bowed out gracefully after the dead cat bounce CWS appearances in 2015 and 2016. Instead he decided to leave the once dominant program in college baseball only after it completely collapsed. By staying too long he ruined what should have been a great legacy following Fraser.

Last edited:
I don't know if Morris is embarrassed to go out like this, but I'm embarrassed for him. He could have bowed out gracefully after the dead cat bounce CWS appearances. Instead he decided to leave the once dominant program in college baseball only after it completely collapsed. By staying too long he ruined what should have been a great legacy following Fraser.

Agreed. He decided to take a victory lap instead of leaving at a time when fans would appreciate what he did. I feel like fans would have acknowledged that he was stepping down for the good of the program so that we could start building for the future again. Instead, he walks away having left the team in shambles with a successor who didn't earn his spot.

Advertisement
Back