Entire UM Baseball Staff ....

Advertisement
Blake is in such a tough position here. We really need a new staff and Lovelady is the man for the job. But DiMare is Morris choice and his father may be the biggest donor at the school.

It's a no win situation.

If DiMare's dad wasn't who he is I think you'd see a new staff.

Blake is in such a tough position here. We really need a new staff and Lovelady is the man for the job. But DiMare is Morris choice and his father may be the biggest donor at the school.

It's a no win situation.

If DiMare's dad wasn't who he is I think you'd see a new staff.

Blake is only in this spot because he acquiesced in naming DiMare the "coach in waiting" initially. It's his own fault.

Advertisement
agreed.

first rule of hiring: NEVER hire someone you can't fire!

I agree with both of these things but you're not seeing the entire picture. Morris comes to Blake after making the CWS and says I'm ready to retire in 3 years after my 25th year and I want DiMare to replace me. Gino's dad surely knows what is going on and despite some slippage we are still cruising along in baseball with top 15 teams year in and out.

Blake agrees and we make the CWS again the following year. Everything looks good and it looks like the right call to continue things the way they are. No one saw the wheels coming off as quickly as they have. Morris has lost touch and control at this point and if you are Blake you can't just go back to Gino and say we are going in a different direction, tell your dad to stick it.

It's not like this retirement thing was decided after last season, it has been in play for 4 years.

Advertisement
I agree with both of these things but you're not seeing the entire picture. Morris comes to Blake after making the CWS and says I'm ready to retire in 3 years after my 25th year and I want DiMare to replace me. Gino's dad surely knows what is going on and despite some slippage we are still cruising along in baseball with top 15 teams year in and out.

Blake agrees and we make the CWS again the following year. Everything looks good and it looks like the right call to continue things the way they are. No one saw the wheels coming off as quickly as they have. Morris has lost touch and control at this point and if you are Blake you can't just go back to Gino and say we are going in a different direction, tell your dad to stick it.

It's not like this retirement thing was decided after last season, it has been in play for 4 years.

Many of us saw the wheels coming off way before 3 years ago. Flukey CWS appearances aside, in 2009 we started getting completely dominated by UF, and slightly less dominated by FSU, every time we played them. That was a clear warning sign. Then the home regional winning streak ended in embarrassing fashion. The program has been in decline for a decade. Hard to believe I saw that but Blake didn't.

No one saw the wheels coming off as quickly as they have.

SLJ.gif

Advertisement
Serious question. Is the promotion for DiMare legally binding ? In other words aside from the optics can Blake opt for the "we're moving in a different direction" option

Serious question. Is the promotion for DiMare legally binding ? In other words aside from the optics can Blake opt for the "we're moving in a different direction" option

There probably is not formal contract at this point, but even if there was, coaches get let go all the time in the middle of their contracts. There's no legal constraint to changing direction. The only relevant issue is his dad. And it's a big big issue.

Advertisement
The info I have received is that Morris never got with the times and failed to employ analytics and technology. It's why we still use those outdoor cages behind the RF bleachers while everyone else is using computers. No telling if Gino will stay old school or move into the 21st century.

Miami needs to put a roof over those cages with how much it rains down here. Virtually every other D1 program in the country has indoor/roofed cages. They also all have "computers" like Trackman and HitTrax that quantify EV/LA for hitters and spin rate/velo for pitchers. I agree Miami is behind in this area.

Advertisement
Back