Entire UM Baseball Staff ....

Miami needs to put a roof over those cages with how much it rains down here. Virtually every other D1 program in the country has indoor/roofed cages. They also all have "computers" like Trackman and HitTrax that quantify EV/LA for hitters and spin rate/velo for pitchers. I agree Miami is behind in this area.

Except when we play teams like Pittsburgh, since they don't come close to us in talent.

Advertisement
Except when we play teams like Pittsburgh, since they don't come close to us in talent.

We gave up 5 runs in 3 games and found a way to lose 2/3 at home. That's more an indication of how bad we are offensively and less about how good Pittsburgh is (RPI: 92). You really think Pitt has more talented players than us? I'll bet 100$ we have more guys drafted over the next 3 years than they do.

LOL......what? You think other college teams stopped using batting cages?

Read this:

Miami needs to put a roof over those cages with how much it rains down here. Virtually every other D1 program in the country has indoor/roofed cages. They also all have "computers" like Trackman and HitTrax that quantify EV/LA for hitters and spin rate/velo for pitchers. I agree Miami is behind in this area.

If you've ever spent time on campus you can't help but notice the lightning alarm going off every 30 minutes when there's no imminent threat of rain.

I invite you to go check out FIU's facilities for a better look at how far behind we are.

Read this:

If you've ever spent time on campus you can't help but notice the lightning alarm going off every 30 minutes when there's no imminent threat of rain.

Read your post again. You said that while we're still using batting cages, other teams are using computers. That made about as much sense as "we're still using gloves while other teams are selling Powerade". The two things have no connection.

We gave up 5 runs in 3 games and found a way to lose 2/3 at home. That's more an indication of how bad we are offensively and less about how good Pittsburgh is (RPI: 92). You really think Pitt has more talented players than us? I'll bet 100$ we have more guys drafted over the next 3 years than they do.

Which is it? Are we that bad offensively or are we more talented than northern teams by default? Can't have it both ways.

Pittsburgh beat us twice, has a better overall record, and sits tied with us in the ACC. At what point are you going to recognize that they are every bit as good as us?

Advertisement
Read this:

Read your post again. You said that while we're still using batting cages, other teams are using computers. That made about as much sense as "we're still using gloves while other teams are selling Powerade". The two things have no connection.

Fair enough. My fault for not being clear. Obviously other teams are using batting cages in addition to modern technology.

Turtle Thomas showed me how to hit in those cages in the late 80s and that's still the only resource we use to teach players how to hit. I think/hope it's a Morris thing, since he's a stubborn old man. I have spoken with some of the groundskeepers during games and they've mentioned how they expect a lot of changes under Gino. So we'll see.

Fair enough. My fault for not being clear. Obviously other teams are using batting cages in addition to modern technology.

Turtle Thomas showed me how to hit in those cages in the late 80s and that's still the only resource we use to teach players how to hit. I think/hope it's a Morris thing, since he's a stubborn old man. I have spoken with some of the groundskeepers during games and they've mentioned how they expect a lot of changes under Gino. So we'll see.

Miami should have indoor cages with multiple pitching machines and multiple HitTrax machines to track player development. For example, the University of Florida has roofed cages with multiple pitching machines that can throw just about any pitch as well as 24/7 access. If it rains down here, where do the guys go to hit?

"We need covered batting cages" is the new "Adidas bats" excuse. Funny, when we have good hitters, we hit. When we blow it in recruiting, we need covered batting cages.

Miami should have indoor cages with multiple pitching machines and multiple HitTrax machines to track player development. For example, the University of Florida has roofed cages with multiple pitching machines that can throw just about any pitch as well as 24/7 access. If it rains down here, where do the guys go to hit?

From what I've been told they're on their own and have to seek private help regardless of the weather since Miami refuses to employ the new technology.

Advertisement
Miami rainfall in 2018:

January - 1.01 in
February - .37 in
March - .19 in

Clearly we just couldn't get in the cage because of all the rain.

Miami rainfall in 2018:

January - 1.01 in
February - .37 in
March - .19 in

I guess the months leading up to the season don't matter.

And when we have good hitters "Collins, Abreu, Lopez" it's because they're seeking outside help.

****** recruiting is not the only problem, I assure you.

"We need covered batting cages" is the new "Adidas bats" excuse. Funny, when we have good hitters, we hit. When we blow it in recruiting, we need covered batting cages.

Miami rainfall in 2018:

January - 1.01 in
February - .37 in
March - .19 in

Are you the UMiami baseball troll? It is not an excuse for why we cannot hit, we definitely need better hitters (we have talented hitters but they are mostly freshman with little experience). It doesn't have to rain to not be able to hit, if lightning strikes within 15 miles of the field you cannot do anything. Roofed cages would allow more access to hitters and would improve recruiting from a facilities standpoint. It's a Win/Win, I don't understand what your argument is.

Advertisement
Are you the UMiami baseball troll? It is not an excuse for why we cannot hit, we definitely need better hitters (we have talented hitters but they are mostly freshman with little experience). It doesn't have to rain to not be able to hit, if lightning strikes within 15 miles of the field you cannot do anything. Roofed cages would allow more access to hitters and would improve recruiting from a facilities standpoint. It's a Win/Win, I don't understand what your argument is.

My argument is that two people who don't know what they're talking about have pinpointed uncovered batting cages as the real culprit, and it's **** funny to watch. You people act like we play in Seattle. The rainiest time of year in Miami is the summer. If you're a Miami baseball player and you live in Miami in the summer, you aren't any good by default.

I guess the months leading up to the season don't matter.

And when we have good hitters "Collins, Abreu, Lopez" it's because they're seeking outside help.

****** recruiting is not the only problem, I assure you.

Zack Collins was a .300/10/50 guy the minute he stepped on campus.

Our recent "good hitters" mostly sought outside help so they could un-learn what's being taught at Miami. When the lightning alarm goes off, practice is over and you're on your own if you want to practice hitting because you can't use our outdoor batting cages and we have no modern resources. Again, just what I've heard.

Football built the IPF. Basketball built the arena/practice facility. It's time for baseball to catch up to everyone else and build a new indoor cage, and begin using the technology that everyone else uses. Part of the renovations of the stadium included the addition of a video room, but I imagine one of those TVs with a built-in VCR and the whole team huddled around it watching grainy footage of bunting fundamentals.

Advertisement
Our recent "good hitters" mostly sought outside help so they could un-learn what's being taught at Miami. When the lightning alarm goes off, practice is over and you're on your own if you want to practice hitting because you can't use our outdoor batting cages and we have no modern resources.

You're acting like the alarm is going off every day at 2:30 pm.

I always thought that Miami had a geographical advantage in baseball over teams like Pitt because it's like 14 degrees in Pittsburgh when baseball season starts. I guess I was wrong.

It's asinine to say that batting cages and computerized trackers for analytics are THE culprit when so much else has gone wrong with the program. That being said - if we got indoor cages and the computers, and DiMare dipped into his family's pockets to pay for them, I'd be down with that. Put your money where your mouth is, Skipper-In-Waiting.

They can't hurt, but not having those amenities is not what has caused the downfall of this program.

If you're an uber-talented Miami player that is miles ahead of the Pitt/Stony Brook/Mizzou/Duke players of the world, but you need an indoor cage and computerized analytics to compete with them...then maybe you're not that talented after all.

Ask yourselves this question - if we were on the cutting edge with all of that stuff and/or had different bats...are we still sitting at 17-22 overall and 10-11 in the ACC? I say we would be, because the problems are more myriad than just those things.

The talent was obviously there for some of our local kids like Collins and Abreu, both of whom had a private coach so they could use modern technology and have a shot at getting drafted (so I was told). But once they got to the CWS, they along with everyone else struck out looking.

Others like Ruiz, Barr, Michelangeli, Chester got worse the longer they played here. Some of it has to be attributable to Morris and him having mailed it in years ago, but part of it is definitely his refusal to adapt to what's available technologically.

Wouldn't surprise me to see sweeping changes once DiMare takes over, especially if his father ponies up the cash so we can give our kids the best resources instead of staying stuck in the past.

Advertisement
Back