End of season Fins mock draft and free agency plan!!

Agreed. Question is what do we do with our 2nd 1st rounder...especially if you are dead set against a RB that high?

I'll put it to you this way, I'd rather take another WR at that second first rounder than take a RB in the first round.

That second first rounder could be used on a pass rusher/edge player. Another possibility would be what if someone like Pitts fell to that spot? Can you imagine having a two tight end set of Gesicki AND Pitts? To me, you surround Tua with as much talent as earthly possible.

I mean, I know he's a Gator....but business is business. The point is, you take the elite WR with the Houston pick and then take the best available player who doesn't play running back with the second first rounder. Gaskin and Ahmad have already shown to be more than competent so I'd argue RB isn't even an immediate need of any sort.

Advertisement
I'll put it to you this way, I'd rather take another WR at that second first rounder than take a RB in the first round.

That second first rounder could be used on a pass rusher/edge player. Another possibility would be what if someone like Pitts fell to that spot? Can you imagine having a two tight end set of Gesicki AND Pitts? To me, you surround Tua with as much talent as earthly possible.

I mean, I know he's a Gator....but business is business. The point is, you take the elite WR with the Houston pick and then take the best available player who doesn't play running back with the second first rounder. Gaskin and Ahmad have already shown to be more than competent so I'd argue RB isn't even an immediate need of any sort.
I’ll say this. I’ve always been against taking a RB with a 1st. But I’m getting close to rethinking that this year given the variables. I’m not there yet though. We need weapons. So I’m punting on a DE till the 2nd round and RB later

Chase or Smith 1st. Seems weird to use 2 1st rounders on the same position but if a guy like Waddle or Marshall falls, I would bite with our 2nd 1st. It’s not just weapons. We need red zone weapons. That’s why I’m warming up to Najee in the 1st. He has a nose for the end zone in the run and pass game. But he played himself into the 1st round so that’s a decision we have to make. I’m not there yet though. Still rather a guy like Carter or Trey S in later rounds

Would absolutely consider Pitts there too. Don’t care what his college jersey says, he is a red zone nightmare and paired with Gisecki ALONG with Chase or Smith and now we are cookin.

I’ll say this. I’ve always been against taking a RB with a 1st. But I’m getting close to rethinking that this year given the variables. I’m not there yet though. We need weapons. So I’m punting on a DE till the 2nd round and RB later

Chase or Smith 1st. Seems weird to use 2 1st rounders on the same position but if a guy like Waddle or Marshall falls, I would bite with our 2nd 1st. It’s not just weapons. We need red zone weapons. That’s why I’m warming up to Najee in the 1st. He has a nose for the end zone in the run and pass game. But he played himself into the 1st round so that’s a decision we have to make. I’m not there yet though. Still rather a guy like Carter or Trey S in later rounds

Would absolutely consider Pitts there too. Don’t care what his college jersey says, he is a red zone nightmare and paired with Gisecki ALONG with Chase or Smith and now we are cookin.

Well I'll say this, I'm more convinced than ever that you NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever take an RB anywhere near the first. You'd have a hard time convincing me it's value even in the 2nd. Replacement value is just so abundant.

Houston losing to Cincy just now is absolutely enormous for the Dolphins' draft capital. Houston plays TENN next week. TENN is fighting for playoff position. If Houston loses that game, the Phins are locked into at least a Top 5 overall pick.

Well I'll say this, I'm more convinced than ever that you NEVER ever ever ever ever ever ever take an RB anywhere near the first. You'd have a hard time convincing me it's value even in the 2nd. Replacement value is just so abundant.
It is. Just so **** tempting this year. We need to surround Tua with playmakers that takes pressure off him and makes teams prepare for. I’d use a 2nd rounder in the right situation. Doesn’t matter. Harris isnt falling that far. Who are your fav RBs in this draft you think we can pick off after Round 2?

Advertisement
Houston losing to Cincy just now is absolutely enormous for the Dolphins' draft capital. Houston plays TENN next week. TENN is fighting for playoff position. If Houston loses that game, the Phins are locked into at least a Top 5 overall pick.
Huge. Wasn’t thinking much of trading back in this draft with all the picks but depending on how the QB shuffle goes, someone may pay a pretty penny for our pick. Gotta take that call and listen

Huge. Wasn’t thinking much of trading back in this draft with all the picks but depending on how the QB shuffle goes, someone may pay a pretty penny for our pick. Gotta take that call and listen
You said it. There's a ton of juice to squeeze there. If I were running the Phins right now, I'd be chugging champagne in excitement.

Sewell in play now since we jump ahead of Cincy. Unless Jets decide to build around Sam.

Texans play Titans next week so hoping they lose tonight or else they won’t have anything to play for I believe. BoB is the gift that keeps on giving. We could potentially be a playoff team with a top 5 pick.

Sewell in play now since we jump ahead of Cincy. Unless Jets decide to build around Sam.

Texans play Titans next week so hoping they lose tonight or else they won’t have anything to play for I believe. BoB is the gift that keeps on giving. We could potentially be a playoff team with a top 5 pick.
I'm old enough that your statement makes me remember my father's stories of Len Bias. So i'm gonna knock on wood right now.

Advertisement
It is. Just so **** tempting this year. We need to surround Tua with playmakers that takes pressure off him and makes teams prepare for. I’d use a 2nd rounder in the right situation. Doesn’t matter. Harris isnt falling that far. Who are your fav RBs in this draft you think we can pick off after Round 2?

I'm not tempted in the least. There is going to be an elite WR available with the Houston pick, and we have the most abundant of abundant needs. Easy pick. I mean if Etienne falls to the second round, which isn't impossible, and assuming we already secured AT LEAST one wide receiver (and maybe someone like Godwin in free agency) then I might be persuaded to think about Etienne there.

But even with that being said, if there's a good edge rusher there I'd rather have that over any RB. It just isn't anything close to a priority in my book.

1a. - LB or DE
1b. - Najee Harris (3 down back)
2a. - WR best available
2b. - Icing.

I know you don't take RB early but Harris looked like the real deal. could put WR there and see if he is available second round
I like what you're thinking but Phins should trade down from 1a to pick up more capital, and Harris can be had with 2a. or 2b, IMHO. They can get a quality pass-rusher a little lower in the 1st and get an extra pick later in the draft and maybe next year.

Last edited:
I’m getting comfortable with Najee as the second first. He’s a three-down back and you get immediate production on his rookie contract. This team is ahead of schedule and needs a back.
His hips are a little stiff but he's big, versatile, and has familiarity with Tua; I still think you can get him in the top of the second round.

Advertisement
Last year's 1st rounder just got a injured. You draft best available RB top of second round and I believe Harris will be there. He's big and versatile but doesn't possess blazing speed or elite quickness. Etienne is the only back I've seen that justifies a late 1st round pick because he's got elite traits, the consistent production, and will not be on the board in round 2.

I'm not tempted in the least. There is going to be an elite WR available with the Houston pick, and we have the most abundant of abundant needs. Easy pick. I mean if Etienne falls to the second round, which isn't impossible, and assuming we already secured AT LEAST one wide receiver (and maybe someone like Godwin in free agency) then I might be persuaded to think about Etienne there.

But even with that being said, if there's a good edge rusher there I'd rather have that over any RB. It just isn't anything close to a priority in my book.

Right on. Can’t wait to see how it unfolds. We are catching a little spark with Ahmed and Gaskin but I don’t see them as a long term solution. It’s still not that easy to plug and play. I don’t want any more Howard’s, Ballage, Breida band aids or big money for a free agent. If Eitenne or Harris are there in the 2nd, I’m pulling the trigger. Those 2 are worth it in that spot. Doesn’t matter. I don’t expect either to be there. Load up on 2 playmakers in the 1st. We need a DE and Safety and should at least hit on the DE in the 2nd if we go all in on offense in the 1st.

Either way, I actually have a little faith in this front office. They’ve earned some good will with me. Haven’t thought that in a long time.

Advertisement
Carolina Panthers helped us out just now, too. With one more Houston loss, we may be locked into a Top 4 pick now.
Jumped ATL to #3 since their SOS got stronger. Texans might not have Watson and Tunsil next week. ATL plays Tampa next week. I think Tampa is locked into the 5th seed with Seattle winning today so hopefully they rest their starters. Need Texans loss and ATL win to stay at #3. This is crazy.

Jumped ATL to #3 since their SOS got stronger. Texans might not have Watson and Tunsil next week. ATL plays Tampa next week. I think Tampa is locked into the 5th seed with Seattle winning today so hopefully they rest their starters. Need Texans loss and ATL win to stay at #3. This is crazy.
I'd be surprised if ATL wins next week. But, ya never know. If this GB game continues down this path, Houston will very likely lose next week because Tennessee needs the win (for playoff seeding).

The #3 overall pick in this draft would carry a ton of juice, btw. It'd be incredible. Not to mention it helps our 1st 2nd rounder, too.

I disagree at Corner BJ has been getting tossed all year. He’s overpaid hyped player.
No he’s not. Just because he doesn’t have the INT numbers X has doesn’t mean he’s over hyped. He was and still is one of the best press corners in FB. The reason why we’re so hard to move the ball on consistently are BJ and X because it’s definitely not our backers or pass rush.

@Jedi Master Cane this is for you as well.

No he’s not. Just because he doesn’t have the INT numbers X has doesn’t mean he’s over hyped. He was and still is one of the best press corners in FB. The reason why we’re so hard to move the ball on consistently are BJ and X because it’s definitely not our backers or pass rush.

@Jedi Master Cane this is for you as well.

I still believe in Jones. He had a rough game but I still think that PI was horse caca. Flores wanted him, that's good enough for me.

Advertisement
Back