Encouraging quote about Flagg

Advertisement
This sounds like an infomercial testimonial.
Maybe I should start one. Wish I had some video footage. I don't know what my vertical jump was, but I could get my mid forearm over the rim at 6'2". I laugh at all the ooh and ahh over guys that dunk who are 6'6" or more. A person 4-5 inches shorter has to jump 8-12 inches higher to achieve the same result given the height and arm length difference.

Anyway I'm a big proponent of plyometrics. If you want your child to be a stud athlete, get them started early on plyos. A good book is Progressive Plyometrics for Kids.

Advertisement
Lets not get ahead of our selves. Flag is limited athletically. I'd still start him over McCloud, Jennings or steed who should all be special teams players if that here.Even with that said you still don't know if its the players on Diaz wierd *** approach to games and not being dynamic enough to change.

Maybe I should start one. Wish I had some video footage. I don't know what my vertical jump was, but I could get my mid forearm over the rim at 6'2". I laugh at all the ooh and ahh over guys that dunk who are 6'6" or more. A person 4-5 inches shorter has to jump 8-12 inches higher to achieve the same result given the height and arm length difference.

Anyway I'm a big proponent of plyometrics. If you want your child to be a stud athlete, get them started early on plyos. A good book is Progressive Plyometrics for Kids.
Is that the one by Chu, Faigenbaum and Falkel?

Regarding not having the jets to get to the play - the scheme was flawed against the Heels. When Flagg wasn't in and they had "faster LB's" we were getting gashed just as much. His speed will not stop him from being effective in college.

With the stacked DL (especially the interior) and the way Simpson trains them to actually work with the entire D and not just rush up the field, Flagg can shine in this D going forward.
I’m glad we got Simpson back

Advertisement
We don’t really assign gaps, so our scheme is much more demanding for instincts and recognition. That’s why the guys we have signed since Manny has been here are head scratchers.

McCloud and Jennings would look a lot better as 3-4 middle backers cut loose to plug holes and dominate gaps. They don’t fit what we demand at all and never showed it. Flagg is EXACTLY what we want but his athleticism is below the Miami standard.

If you are not going to assign gaps and protect your linebackers with lineman eating backs, you better be signing guys with elite instincts and ability to navigate through traffic. We didn’t do that and we looked really bad last year.
Do you think he can be a Darryl Sharpton ?

We don’t really assign gaps, so our scheme is much more demanding for instincts and recognition. That’s why the guys we have signed since Manny has been here are head scratchers.

McCloud and Jennings would look a lot better as 3-4 middle backers cut loose to plug holes and dominate gaps. They don’t fit what we demand at all and never showed it. Flagg is EXACTLY what we want but his athleticism is below the Miami standard.

If you are not going to assign gaps and protect your linebackers with lineman eating backs, you better be signing guys with elite instincts and ability to navigate through traffic. We didn’t do that and we looked really bad last year.
Pretty much. There ARE designed run fits but the linebackers are tasked with diagnosing the play and then either filling or “spilling”. In a system where lineman occupy blockers, a linebacker gets the luxury of extra time between seeing the play and reacting to it. In our system the reaction needs to be faster because any hesitation has the possibility of putting yourself out of position and in the path of an oncoming blocker. What we played with last year was a combination of guys who were slow both mentally and physically. Poor instincts forces players to guess too often and run themselves completely out of the play. I used to complain that Pinckney did it too often but the 2020 guys made him look like mike singletary. A guy like Shaq, with elite instincts and game smarts was able to overcome his lack of quickness. A dude like Jennings who has poor instincts coupled with a lack of athleticism was just taking up space. A lot of the times, all they could do was blitz the linebackers and hope they ran right into the play.

It's from another site (Inside the U), but it confirms what I've thought about him, "According to PFF, Flagg graded out as UM’s best tackler on the season and didn’t miss a single tackle during the 206 defensive snaps he earned."

They go onto to say that even though he's kind of limited physically, his instincts are so good to go along with his tackling, that if S&C can get him a "tick faster" he can be a really effective CFB LB. Totally agree and I don't know what his physical ceiling is, but if he puts in the work, it's hard for me to believe that he can't shave some time off his shuttle and his 40. Excited to see what he can do this season.
kind of the Zach Thomas profile

Advertisement
Really don't understand how people bag on Shaq on this site. I mean, I guess I do, because look around. But it's crazy to me. We haven't been good in TWENTY years and people expect first rounder after first rounder at backer (and everywhere else). Insanity. Shaq was a good player. If we had 85 Shaq Quarterman talents/leaders at each respective position, this would be an insanely good program.

But no, we just continue to **** on kids who come here from 500 miles away, get thrust into a starting role as freshmen, work their asses off, sacrifice for the team the armchair QBs barely watch on Saturday's while they get drunk, earn a degree, and play football professionally. Makes sense.
Shaq was a stud college player. Period. He was first-team All ACC twice and had unbelievable numbers on good defenses.

I remember hearing we would be better at LB in 2020 because of "speed." We missed Shaq more than anyone else.

Shaq was a stud college player. Period. He was first-team All ACC twice and had unbelievable numbers on good defenses.

I remember hearing we would be better at LB in 2020 because of "speed." We missed Shaq more than anyone else.

Shaq was way faster than Jennings or Flagg though. The only way we would have been able to fill the hole Shaq left is if Baker could coach Brooks up, because he was the only one with any speed. And that rocket was a failure at launch given Baker is the LBs coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back