Encouraging OL stat

This stat reminds me a bit of a quote from a million yers ago when I lived on the west coast. The Oregon hoops coach **** Harter ( I know it sounds fake, but isn't) fielded a pre season question from the Pac 8 (at the time) sports reporters on how excited he was to have all his starters returning. He said normally you would be but wanted to remind everyone those guys were like 4-24.

Until I see a canes o line dominate at least the mid tier acc teams I'm not declaring we are where we want to be.
LMAO, that is great, and quite fitting here I'm afriad

Advertisement
Yeah that's true but the prospect of a zillion combined starts will prove too enticing for Justice, and he'll leave Rivers out of the starting 5 to begin the season. Mark it down. Spring was about experimenting and trying different players at different positions, but Rivers will need to really show out to steal a job from someone like a three-year starter like Scaife, or a 7th year senior like J. Williams.
I’m not saying Rivers is gonna start against Bama but he’s gonna be in the mix and has a chance to win the job.

Scaife is giving Williams all he can handle at RT.

Sorry buddy but these stats have a lot of holes in them. Some of these other teams played half a season and didn’t face the kind of pass rush a Clemson or Pitt put up.

Also you’re not factoring the number of plays we ran in 20 compared to 19.

Brethren, u do realize that the NCAA stats takes how many games played into consideration, correct? They don’t go by total games as opposed to avg per game. So give u an example, Pitt had more total sacks that Miami of OH, but due to Miami of OH avg per game, they were ranked 1.

Furthermore, I outlined from the beginning who we faced. Lol. I said we faced 8 top 50 teams that ranked in sacks & TFLs. I’m pretty transparent when I post here. I don’t need to skew to make a point. The fact is, ppl were in our back field a lot. Nevermind Clemson or Pitt...VT was in our backfield all game long. So was UNC, UVA, UAB...let’s just put it like this; the only teams who weren’t constantly in our backfield were FSU, Duke, and OKSt.

Small sample size but Perry threw 34 balls against Ok State and was sacked once. Ball was coming out nicely. Had 6 and 8 not ***** the bed he finishes well over 300 yards passing. He may be mobile and a great leader, but there were a lot of times King held onto the ball way too long.

I agree; matter of fact, this was touched upon by TOS. When highlighting the OL, they marginalized the improvement in terms of sacks allowed, but did also blame some of those sacks being due to King holding on to the ball too long.

Advertisement
Brethren, u do realize that the NCAA stats takes how many games played into consideration, correct? They don’t go by total games as opposed to avg per game. So give u an example, Pitt had more total sacks that Miami of OH, but due to Miami of OH avg per game, they were ranked 1.

Furthermore, I outlined from the beginning who we faced. Lol. I said we faced 8 top 50 teams that ranked in sacks & TFLs. I’m pretty transparent when I post here. I don’t need to skew to make a point. The fact is, ppl were in our back field a lot. Nevermind Clemson or Pitt...VT was in our backfield all game long. So was UNC, UVA, UAB...let’s just put it like this; the only teams who weren’t constantly in our backfield were FSU, Duke, and OKSt.

Of course I realize. Wouldn’t you agree playing fewer games can skew based on the smaller sample size?

Also, two seasons ago we were 118th in total plays run per game compared to being top 30 or so last season.

We were better, by a good bit.

Of course I realize. Wouldn’t you agree playing fewer games can skew based on the smaller sample size?

Also, two seasons ago we were 118th in total plays run per game compared to being top 30 or so last season.

We were better, by a good bit.

When u say two seasons ago, are you referring to the 2019 season or 2018 season? But regardless, we ranked 33rd in plays ran. But there’s plenty of teams that ran more plays than us and didn’t give up the avg of sacks & TFLs.

Bro; I don’t be trying to be a Debbie Downer or no chit, but I’ve watched way, WAYYYYY too many Canes as a 30+ yr fan. I know when improvement has been made. This OL was still trash last yr. I promise if anyone not named King was behind that OL, that sack rank would’ve went down. The only positive was our rushing ypc went up significantly. Would’ve been even better had we not got smoked behind the LOS so often.
In 2019 we played more games against bad teams and still had that Sack/Game rating. In 2020, we played more games against good Defenses than 2019, AND less games against bad defenses, and still significantly reduced the Sack/game stat. I don't know how you can look at those stats and not see a significant improvement, unless you don't want there to be one because you want a different narrative.

Now was our Oline trash last year like you are saying? No. You know what a trash OLine is, go watch some FSU football. You'll learn the difference between trash and at least average. Now what we need is for this OLine to take that next step. They took a big step last year. They have a **** load of experience and we have some dudes with a lot of talent. This can be a very good Oline, and imo should clearly be a Top 2 ACC Oline this year.

Advertisement
What do you think the pups should help improve the team to… 11-1, 10-2…???
10-2 minimum.
Bama is Bama. Definition of tough sledding.

There is no excuse to lose to any team not named UNC. Even then Manny should be doing any and everything to win that game. He can’t just let Mack Brown own him, especially when they must replace so many starters.

In 2019 we played more games against bad teams and still had that Sack/Game rating. In 2020, we played more games against good Defenses than 2019, AND less games against bad defenses, and still significantly reduced the Sack/game stat. I don't know how you can look at those stats and not see a significant improvement, unless you don't want there to be one because you want a different narrative.

Now was our Oline trash last year like you are saying? No. You know what a trash OLine is, go watch some FSU football. You'll learn the difference between trash and at least average. Now what we need is for this OLine to take that next step. They took a big step last year. They have a **** load of experience and we have some dudes with a lot of talent. This can be a very good Oline, and imo should clearly be a Top 2 ACC Oline this year.

I believe I CLEARLY stated that our ypc improved w/ this OL. I’m the one that put how many teams we played that ranked top 50 in defense in both seasons & who we played. Lol. The responses to my QP is like I’m not the guy who posted my QP. Lol.

I’ve noticed everyone that continues to say we’ve improved as a OL unit keeps harping on how we gave up less sacks. OK; but the fact is we played behind the chains more this yr than last yr b/c we gave up way more TFLs! OL play is much more than sacks, chief.

Listen, imma post something. This is analytical chit. It examines the effectiveness of DL’s & OLs. It’s called stuff rates, meaning the game w/in the game. All the teams are in alphabetical order, with where they ranked in FBS per category. Each category is defined above.

2019-2020 season:

2020-2021 season:

I think the Clark injury shakes things up, and not in a great way.

LT Nelson / Campbell
LG Donaldson / Traore / Clark
C Gaynor / Reed / Griffith
RG Scaife / Hillery
RT Williams / Herbert

I just think that we've got a great opportunity to stash the younglings while depending on seasoned veterans - and then we unleash the freshmans all over everyone's *** in 2022. Let's take advantage of years of experience and maturity and empower the vets while the young guys develop.
Austin Powers No GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back