Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

How do you deal with the rapidly escalating money issue, aside from spending more at the QB position? “The market is the market”. I agree. But let’s say the market dictates that Rashada get $3M to sign. Do you bump Garcia up next year to match? Do you bump Brown up next year to match?

Or do you say “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit”, followed by a “you don’t like it, leave”?That’s fine, but are you then comfortable rolling into 2023 with just Rashada as your quarterback, with no backup? And in a rapidly escalatory NIL environment, are you then prepared to yp Rashada in 2024 if the next freshman quarterback commands $6M to sign?
Players on roster would not have option to renegotiate at any position unless they excelled on the field. That doesnt mean you can't have other deals to incentivize them to stay. You are using Garcia and Jacurri as examples as if they have shown in-game they are studs. If Miami has decided to end its run as a 2nd rate football program then you don't cut corners at QB.

Advertisement
This is also really the first year this is taking place. Unless a school is willing to invest serious resources at maintaining the QB roster depth through NIL, you are going to see many of these schools denuded of depth. Most schools cannot spend the $30M that A$M is playing with right now, but a lot will be willing to go in on $4M for a “halo signing”...ie a prestige move where they allocate most of their resources to a highly rated backup quarterback that gives their fan bases hope and gives the QB playing time. I would imagine that in just a few years it will take $30M to maintain a stacked quarterback room.

Let’s presume Ewers could still transfer with no penalty. Hes making between $1-$2M right now at Texas. Texas signs Manning for $10M/yr because the bidding war got out of hand. Does Ewers stay at Texas when he’s making vastly less than Manning? Does the cost sunk into Manning mandate that Sark play him over Ewers in 2023, even if Ewers is better (Chris Simms vs Major Applewhite reloaded scenario). Does the other 4 star QB that they have on their roster stay?

Again, the money changes things. And given how quickly it is escalating...from D Kong making $100K a year ago to the Tenn QB getting $2M/year a school has to be willing to spend A LOT to keep depth in place.
All of this is still based on the assumption that these contracts are all up front money.

How do you deal with the rapidly escalating money issue, aside from spending more at the QB position? “The market is the market”. I agree. But let’s say the market dictates that Rashada get $3M to sign. Do you bump Garcia up next year to match? Do you bump Brown up next year to match?

Or do you say “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit”, followed by a “you don’t like it, leave”?That’s fine, but are you then comfortable rolling into 2023 with just Rashada as your quarterback, with no backup? And in a rapidly escalatory NIL environment, are you then prepared to yp Rashada in 2024 if the next freshman quarterback commands $6M to sign?

Gojira, you're taking a rationale approach to this NIL issue. I don't think everyone is rationale at this point. I don't see why you pay 1M+ NIL for a 2023 kid that is guaranteed to sit this season, most likely sitting next season with Garcia at bat, and may decide to transfer before he even takes a snap.

Another poster asked how to allocate a hypothetical $20M NIL budget across the 85 man roster (for football only, mind you), and no one could agree where to put the money. It's an IMMENSELY DIFFICULT challenge. Especially for a program that didn't have an $EC-type illegal bag operation in place until the Mario era began. Our stakeholders only know how the game is being played by hearsay and staff additions, they don't have 30 years of direct experience running it for Miami.

I personally would not put major NIL money on a QB for this class, and instead would reinvest it in other spots. Get me more big uglies who can provide instant impact and that WR1 first, please. Like you note, that would keep the QB room happy. When TVD graduates, the coaches can decide if the three guys they have in the room -- Garcia, Brown and th 2023 commit -- are capable of winning championships at that point, and buy up for a Top 3 HS or portal recruit then if necessary.

All of this is still based on the assumption that these contracts are all up front money.

Why? Some of it is up front money. Even the guarantee 1. has the potential to create a QB room controversy, and 2. could be used for a higher-confidence NIL investment.

Seriously, what does Ruiz get from a big bet on Rashada when he can put all his marketing money on TVD and get very clear and obvious payback for Life Wallet and Cigarette from 2022 games and post-game highlights? Take the low-ROI money he would have put on Rashada and put it into getting Shemar Stewart to transfer back to Miami, lol. Or just go get a WR1 with the money.

As a marketer, I would never put money on my 3rd or 4th QB like that. It's not like drafting a #1 QB in the NFL, where you know the guys currently starting are crap. We have a **** good QB room. You're flushing your cash down the toilet if you put it in a QB1 for the 2023 class.

Gaby is reporting the staff is going to watch another QB soon- 4 star QB Avery Johnson from Maize, KS (4 star = .9350 on 247, ranked #11 in 2023)
He earned an invite to Elite 11 at Nashville regional today

EDIT: From 247 national write up today:
As a junior Johnson threw for 2,550 yards and 20 touchdowns to just six interceptions with another 1,080 yards rushing and 22 scores in leading his team to its first-ever state title game in program history.

On the hardwood he’s a double-digit scorer that plays above the rim and on the baseball diamond he’s hitting over .400 as a junior.

Three sport athlete

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why? Some of it is up front money. Even the guarantee 1. has the potential to create a QB room controversy, and 2. could be used for a higher-confidence NIL investment.

Seriously, what does Ruiz get from a big bet on Rashada when he can put all his marketing money on TVD and get very clear and obvious payback for Life Wallet and Cigarette from 2022 games and post-game highlights? Take the low-ROI money he would have put on Rashada and put it into getting Shemar Stewart to transfer back to Miami, lol. Or just go get a WR1 with the money.

As a marketer, I would never put money on my 3rd or 4th QB like that. It's not like drafting a #1 QB in the NFL, where you know the guys currently starting are crap. We have a **** good QB room. You're flushing your cash down the toilet if you put it in a QB1 for the 2023 class.
We dont know what any of these NILs are really worth and how they are/were written and constructed. If say Nico was really getting 2MM guaranteed or up front, I think your line of thinking has valid rationale behind it. The thing is we dont know, and its an important piece of the puzzle.

Gaby is reporting the staff is going to watch another QB soon- 4 star QB Avery Johnson from Maize, KS (4 star = .9350 on 247, ranked #11 in 2023)
He earned an invite to Elite 11 at Nashville regional today

EDIT: From 247 national write up today:
As a junior Johnson threw for 2,550 yards and 20 touchdowns to just six interceptions with another 1,080 yards rushing and 22 scores in leading his team to its first-ever state title game in program history.

On the hardwood he’s a double-digit scorer that plays above the rim and on the baseball diamond he’s hitting over .400 as a junior.

Three sport athlete
If we turn up the heat on Avery, I'll drive to Maize (30 minutes from me) and hold him hostage in my basement until he utters "The Time is Now."

Time to get a KS kid to the Crib, damnit.

If we turn up the heat on Avery, I'll drive to Maize (30 minutes from me) and hold him hostage in my basement until he utters "The Time is Now."

Time to get a KS kid to the Crib, damnit.
In all seriousness, he's a stud. Most talked about athlete in our area since Bubba Starling. Brown brothers before that.

He's small, as I've seen him up-close a few times. Saw him on a visit at Mizzou. Supposed to be K-State's to lose, but K-State is bottom barrel when it comes to NIL.

Advertisement
In all seriousness, he's a stud. Most talked about athlete in our area since Bubba Starling. Brown brothers before that.

He's small, as I've seen him up-close a few times. Saw him on a visit at Mizzou. Supposed to be K-State's to lose, but K-State is bottom barrel when it comes to NIL.
My mom grew up there. THIS is where the culture shock comes in. lol... Taken as a whole, Sedgwick county Kansas might truly be the exact opposite of Miami-Dade. In the dark.. NO WAY his family grew up Canes fans if they're from there. He would be Mario's biggest recruiting pull ever! I hope we get him just because.

I'm fine taking this kid now and continuing to go after the big fish at QB. Our QB room will likely only have Garcia and Brown on scholarship not including any true freshmen. I think we need 2 QBs in this class and if this kids 1b, that's a win.

Is he a playmaker though?

Advertisement
I like the upside that Avery Johnson offers a little more. With that said, won't be mad if we take Williams as he looks like he can play QB at the next level as well. Either way, hoping that we go hard for a big time prospect next year after having what I think will be a very good year this year to sell recruits on.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back