Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
Every dumb *** post I see like this makes we throw up a Lil. I'm sure that's the way to be competitive avoid signing great players to disturb the 7-5 locker room. You beta male dummies think that's the way the Bama,OSU,USC,UGA schools are operating. I'd hate to see the way you guys raise your sons.
Money changes the calculation. That (at least NIL level money) is new in CFB and will pull levers in a lockeroom previously unseen. Let’s say we went all in on Rashada and gave him $3M per year. Then our locker room is:

1. TVD $1M
2. Garcia (likely significantly less than $1M)
3. Brown (likely significantly less than $1M)
4. Rashada ($3M)

TVD likely does not care because he’s NFL bound in a year. But what about Garcia and Brown? Both are four stars - why should they be earning less than the latest four star QB. They could easily want more.

The NFL largely got around that tension by their players being under contract, as well as a rookie salary cap. Neither exist in CFB, and the consequence to overpaying for Rashada is that Garcia (less likely) and Brown (more likely) leave. Worst case is that they both leave.

I’m not advocating to not pay up for a freshman QB, because at some point you have to. But you then have to be prepared to raise current player deals or be willing to have you depth obliterated.

Money changes the calculation. That (at least NIL level money) is new in CFB and will pull levers in a lockeroom previously unseen. Let’s say we went all in on Rashada and gave him $3M per year. Then our locker room is:

1. TVD $1M
2. Garcia (likely significantly less than $1M)
3. Brown (likely significantly less than $1M)
4. Rashada ($3M)

TVD likely does not care because he’s NFL bound in a year. But what about Garcia and Brown? Both are four stars - why should they be earning less than the latest four star QB. They could easily want more.

The NFL largely got around that tension by their players being under contract, as well as a rookie salary cap. Neither exist in CFB, and the consequence to overpaying for Rashada is that Garcia (less likely) and Brown (more likely) leave. Worst case is that they both leave.

I’m not advocating to not pay up for a freshman QB, because at some point you have to. But you then have to be prepared to raise current player deals or be willing to have you depth obliterated.
Is it your idea that we are the only college in America that is looking for an incoming QB this class? This whole argument is stupid because literally every competitive school in country is recruiting a top tier QB after signing a top tier QB last cycle. It's very possible that a Freshmen could be the highest paid at position. The NFL had the same issue before they put a cap on rookie contracts. Until FBS or NCAA begins to regulate NIL this is the new world its not likely to change very soon.

Advertisement
I don’t seem to understand why anyone would not set an NIL contract for a freshman qb to be back end heavy as far as when the real money will hit. If the team is in contention, you will already have a starting qb (and possible pipeline) and are going to pay a qb for a year or two to learn and then get their shot. While I agree it may be worth it for some players, there is no guarantee that they stick around and not bolt with the money leaving you with your Johnson in your hands. I like the thought of picking up someone that can play the game and then finding a NIL if need be. This kid seems to be solid. People on here acting like he’s Payton Matocha 2.0.

My biggest issue is this narrative being pushed that we arent missing on recruits and that kids like this are Plan A kids. I’m not cool with pretending that we should just be ok with whatever is shoved down our throats and we aren’t allowed to question it or vocalize disappointment.

There’s countless examples of this exact thing... “coaches love this nobody that no one has ever heard of, so you should too, once he’s been discovered he’ll be a 4 star.” I’m totally fine with us missing and having options/back up plans, it’s part of what you get when you go big game hunting. I’m not fine with being told that this isn’t a backup plan and he just hasn’t been discovered by anyone else yet. I know there’s plenty of time, but people need to give it a rest pushing the narrative that everyone we offer is some kind of undiscovered beast.

Until things change from where they stand today, our class, and the direction our “top targets” have been trending is underwhelming. I do expect that to change, my expectation is a Top 15 class. If I need to go through a list of HS recruiting disappointments since Mario took over, I can spell it out for everyone. However, I’d prefer not to go down that road because I am also equally as aware of the recruiting wins that are directly tied to Mario being our HC. I also love Mario as our HC and don’t like the idea of bashing him to prove my point.

Bottom line is though, we have missed on a lot of the guys we were told were plan A guys, that we stood a chance with. And all we have to show for it, especially this class, is “well you should see the list of kids lining up to commit to us” or this current one of “we love this kid, he’s not a backup plan at all”
How many recruits have we lost that could play here and help us because we slow played them only to be told to pound sand in November/December after the plan A's (aka pipe dreams) went else where. That's how our depth got to where it was when Mario came here.

I mean it’s bad enough that @Dwinstitles got @cway313 , Dr. @Cryptical Envelopment (alter ego Mr. Karenical Embolism) and others involved in his war on Saban but now they got @IndayArtHauz involved too???

SMH

View attachment 185751
Updated

F145779D-7FB1-40DE-A32B-C356DD3164D1.gif

Advertisement
I don’t seem to understand why anyone would not set an NIL contract for a freshman qb to be back end heavy as far as when the real money will hit. If the team is in contention, you will already have a starting qb (and possible pipeline) and are going to pay a qb for a year or two to learn and then get their shot. While I agree it may be worth it for some players, there is no guarantee that they stick around and not bolt with the money leaving you with your Johnson in your hands. I like the thought of picking up someone that can play the game and then finding a NIL if need be. This kid seems to be solid. People on here acting like he’s Payton Matocha 2.0.
Pretty sure most “big” NIL deals are back end heavy.

Is it your idea that we are the only college in America that is looking for an incoming QB this class? This whole argument is stupid because literally every competitive school in country is recruiting a top tier QB after signing a top tier QB last cycle. It's very possible that a Freshmen could be the highest paid at position. The NFL had the same issue before they put a cap on rookie contracts. Until FBS or NCAA begins to regulate NIL this is the new world its not likely to change very soon.
Oh, I agree. But it doesn’t change the fact that the current quarterbacks, aside perhaps from TVD are going to want to make the same. As long as a Miami or USC is willing to boost up the current QBs to keep everyone happy, then this is a non issue. But what will happen is NIL inflation. The Miami QBs might collectively be making less than $2M now. Add Rashada and his $3M to the mix and now it costs up to $12M to keep your four 4 star quarterbacks happy and on board. And then in 2024 if Johnny McFivestar is signed to Miami for 3.5M, then you have to raise everyone else by $500K to keep them happy. Or let’s say the rate for a top freshman quarterback explodes to $6M per year...now you go to having to give your other quarterbacks another $3M each.

And for those who say let them walk...that’s fine. But I remember 2005 and 2006. I remember having just two quarterbacks on roster. I also remember 2009 and being once Jacory Harris injury away from AJ Highsmith leading the team. You want and need depth.

This is also really the first year this is taking place. Unless a school is willing to invest serious resources at maintaining the QB roster depth through NIL, you are going to see many of these schools denuded of depth. Most schools cannot spend the $30M that A$M is playing with right now, but a lot will be willing to go in on $4M for a “halo signing”...ie a prestige move where they allocate most of their resources to a highly rated backup quarterback that gives their fan bases hope and gives the QB playing time. I would imagine that in just a few years it will take $30M to maintain a stacked quarterback room.

Let’s presume Ewers could still transfer with no penalty. Hes making between $1-$2M right now at Texas. Texas signs Manning for $10M/yr because the bidding war got out of hand. Does Ewers stay at Texas when he’s making vastly less than Manning? Does the cost sunk into Manning mandate that Sark play him over Ewers in 2023, even if Ewers is better (Chris Simms vs Major Applewhite reloaded scenario). Does the other 4 star QB that they have on their roster stay?

Again, the money changes things. And given how quickly it is escalating...from D Kong making $100K a year ago to the Tenn QB getting $2M/year a school has to be willing to spend A LOT to keep depth in place.

Oh, I agree. But it doesn’t change the fact that the current quarterbacks, aside perhaps from TVD are going to want to make the same. As long as a Miami or USC is willing to boost up the current QBs to keep everyone happy, then this is a non issue. But what will happen is NIL inflation. The Miami QBs might collectively be making less than $2M now. Add Rashada and his $3M to the mix and now it costs up to $12M to keep your four 4 star quarterbacks happy and on board. And then in 2024 if Johnny McFivestar is signed to Miami for 3.5M, then you have to raise everyone else by $500K to keep them happy. Or let’s say the rate for a top freshman quarterback explodes to $6M per year...now you go to having to give your other quarterbacks another $3M each.

And for those who say let them walk...that’s fine. But I remember 2005 and 2006. I remember having just two quarterbacks on roster. I also remember 2009 and being once Jacory Harris injury away from AJ Highsmith leading the team. You want and need depth.
The problem is thinking you can keep everyone happy. Players aren't gonna just transfer because they aren't highest paid. It's not like they would automatically walk in and get paid more than another QB somewhere else. But more importantly player attrition isn't new. Players will leave regardless unless we build a NFL pipeline and start winning that is the best way to stock pile talent. The schools putting out multiple 1st rounders aren't trying to keep everyone happy because it's next man up.

Advertisement
The problem is thinking you can keep everyone happy. Players aren't gonna just transfer because they aren't highest paid. It's not like they would automatically walk in and get paid more than another QB somewhere else. But more importantly player attrition isn't new. Players will leave regardless unless we build a NFL pipeline and start winning that is the best way to stock pile talent. The schools putting out multiple 1st rounders aren't trying to keep everyone happy because it's next man up.
I’ll partially disagree, because NIL is so new and the market has not stabilized. TVD is NFL bound. Garcia may be good enough to be NFL bound in a couple of years. Yet each are making less than 1.1M. Regardless of NFL future, if your freshman quarterback comes in making 5 to 10x what your current starter and backup are making, that is going to create problems.

This is our issue. We’ve gone from King making $100K in 2021 to TVD making $1M in 2022 to Rashada looking for $2M (and a Manning getting at least $3M, if not far more). If the YoY NIL increases are incremental, it’s not disruptive for the existing players. However as long as we remain in explosive growth as it is presently in the opening phase of NIL, it will present challenges for all schools. I expect in the spring of 2023 and 2024 to see a ton of transfers at the QB position, with the mid level schools being the landing point for most as this is where these schools will be spending their NIL budget. A Garcia or a Brown could easily transfer to an SMU or Baylor, who would be happy to pay him what a Rashada is getting.

I’m all for next man up, but it does Miami little good if Rashada is the only man in 2023 because Brown and Garcia got insulted that he was making 2-10x more than they were. We need depth, and it is going to be costly in the NIL era to maintain. Whether that is Miami, Alabama, USC, or Texas.

Advertisement
I’ll partially disagree, because NIL is so new and the market has not stabilized. TVD is NFL bound. Garcia may be good enough to be NFL bound in a couple of years. Yet each are making less than 1.1M. Regardless of NFL future, if your freshman quarterback comes in making 5 to 10x what your current starter and backup are making, that is going to create problems.

This is our issue. We’ve gone from King making $100K in 2021 to TVD making $1M in 2022 to Rashada looking for $2M (and a Manning getting at least $3M, if not far more). If the YoY NIL increases are incremental, it’s not disruptive for the existing players. However as long as we remain in explosive growth as it is presently in the opening phase of NIL, it will present challenges for all schools. I expect in the spring of 2023 and 2024 to see a ton of transfers at the QB position, with the mid level schools being the landing point for most as this is where these schools will be spending their NIL budget. A Garcia or a Brown could easily transfer to an SMU or Baylor, who would be happy to pay him what a Rashada is getting.

I’m all for next man up, but it does Miami little good if Rashada is the only man in 2023 because Brown and Garcia got insulted that he was making 2-10x more than they were. We need depth, and it is going to be costly in the NIL era to maintain. Whether that is Miami, Alabama, USC, or Texas.
This is a 8-4 post. Glad you aren’t making decisions because the market is the market. You can't kick the can down the road and expect to become elite. TVD being NFL bound is not a certainty although most of CIS has him a top 10 pick already. Depth means nothing without talent ggs.

I agree. Why is it an issue? It’s not like UM is paying the players. If you want more, get better representation. I mean that’s the entire reason for Ruiz. He’s not a UM rep. But if a kid wants more, have your rep hit up Ruiz and along with someone else. That’s not UM’s job.

This is a 8-4 post. Glad you aren’t making decisions because the market is the market. You can't kick the can down the road and expect to become elite. TVD being NFL bound is not a certainty although most of CIS has him a top 10 pick already. Depth means nothing without talent ggs.
How do you deal with the rapidly escalating money issue, aside from spending more at the QB position? “The market is the market”. I agree. But let’s say the market dictates that Rashada get $3M to sign. Do you bump Garcia up next year to match? Do you bump Brown up next year to match?

Or do you say “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit”, followed by a “you don’t like it, leave”?That’s fine, but are you then comfortable rolling into 2023 with just Rashada as your quarterback, with no backup? And in a rapidly escalatory NIL environment, are you then prepared to yp Rashada in 2024 if the next freshman quarterback commands $6M to sign?

That stupid and flawed logic is why Miami missed out on Weigman. Manny and his staff were practically begged to offer Conner when he was a 3 ⭐️ and they refused to because they were dubious on his ceiling. How did that work out?
What's the back story with Weigman, did we blow a legit chance to get him?

Advertisement
Back