ELITE 8 VS TEXAS - 5:05pm on CBS

I went back and re-watched the second half of the Texas game. After the game was over last night I kinda felt that the Canes had a few iffy calls go their way down the stretch. After re-watching I really dont think that was the case. What I saw was Texas' D slow down a bit and the Canes kept driving towards the basket and forcing the action. The calls were fairly even. There was some ticky tack calls in both directions. With that much high speed action, refs are bound to make some bad calls but there was nothing egregious in either direction.
I believe the 2nd half free throws were 27 to 10 in favor of the Canes. 8 of those were intentional. So 19 to 10. Compare our 2 point shots to Texas’ threes and there’s your difference.

The only call I thought was wrong was Omier on the lob. I didn’t see any contact but maybe I just missed it. I could say the same about Wong’s “push off” that actually wasn’t. Carr was grabbing him. So they took away 2 points and gave us 1.

And like I said in the game thread, if you actually believe that one call was a foul on Omier and not the kid who undercut him, you have an agenda. Omier went straight up and that kid took 3 full steps under him. I couldn’t believe the refs called it against Omier in the beginning.

Advertisement
I believe the 2nd half free throws were 27 to 10 in favor of the Canes. 8 of those were intentional. So 19 to 10. Compare our 2 point shots to Texas’ threes and there’s your difference.

The only call I thought was wrong was Omier on the lob. I didn’t see any contact but maybe I just missed it. I could say the same about Wong’s “push off” that actually wasn’t. Carr was grabbing him. So they took away 2 points and gave us 1.

And like I said in the game thread, if you actually believe that one call was a foul on Omier and not the kid who undercut him, you have an agenda. Omier went straight up and that kid took 3 full steps under him. I couldn’t believe the refs called it against Omier in the beginning.

In my book with that kid did in under cutting Omier was not even borderline dangerous, but full on dangerous. Omier could’ve landed on the floor all kinds of wrong, and hard.

In my book with that kid did in under cutting Omier was not even borderline dangerous, but full on dangerous. Omier could’ve landed on the floor all kinds of wrong, and hard.
Yep. Undercutting someone is an automatic flagrant. I know it’s probably never been called on a box out, but that kid felt Omier, and just kept shuffling back. He knew what he was doing.

I lost my mind on when they pointed at Omier initially. It’s unfathomable to me how anyone could that’s not a foul on the Texas homie

Advertisement

Not a foul but they also gave Texas the ball with 3 mins left when it was clearly off them.

The charge they called on Omier was clearly and by rule book definition a block. Defender shifted laterally into Omier creating the contact.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I went back and re-watched the second half of the Texas game. After the game was over last night I kinda felt that the Canes had a few iffy calls go their way down the stretch. After re-watching I really dont think that was the case. What I saw was Texas' D slow down a bit and the Canes kept driving towards the basket and forcing the action. The calls were fairly even. There was some ticky tack calls in both directions. With that much high speed action, refs are bound to make some bad calls but there was nothing egregious in either direction.
agreed. bad calls went both ways and as Texas' coach said the foul called against Cunningham didn't cost them the game. anyways, Texas IMO got a little overconfident and stopped the high energy on defense in the final 10 minutes. both wong and pack made very difficult shots and the rest is history.

I thought calls were fine overall. we both got hit with fouls. we got more FTs (aside from the intentional ones at the end) bc we attacked the rim all night. both teams were in the bonus witho about 10 min left so I dont think either team can complain tbh. I will continue to say that I do believe the fouls were the best thing for us to break up the Texas momentum offensively. there was a danger point early in that second half when they extended the lead back to 12. we continued to keep it within that range before the FTs and fouls started which is a HUGE credit to us bc it allowed us to make a final run to get back into it.

agreed. bad calls went both ways and as Texas' coach said the foul called against Cunningham didn't cost them the game. anyways, Texas IMO got a little overconfident and stopped the high energy on defense in the final 10 minutes. both wong and pack made very difficult shots and the rest is history.
it was tied already at that point and it was absolutely a foul on Cunningham. idk how anyone could argue otherwise. he was back pedaling into omier as omier went up for the rebound. if he doesn't do that, omier doesn't fall and likely grabs the board or at the least deflects the ball.

1680022698280.gif

Advertisement
Back