Elijah Roberts

Can somebody tell me exactly what a "strong side DE" is versus the spread offense? Where does he line-up when there's no Tight End?
Line up against left tackle if it’s a right handed qb. If there is a running back on the field and it’s not an empty set then they might line up on the side of the running back because the RB is like an extra blocker

Advertisement
Q Williams is already inside i believe at 280. and gaining. He is still athletic too

yep - he’s an intriguing dude to me. Big frame, good size. Needs to put on a bit more muscle but I’m curious how his development will go into next year

Y’all got to stop with this strongside defensive end stuff. Miami has never had a dend bigger than 265 in the diaz era. Maybe Chad thomas but that’s about it. We have athletic edges . Robert’s is a 3 technique all day and going to be a **** good one
Joe Jackson, Chad, Djack, Garvin, Rousseau all over 265. Stop it.

Advertisement
Strongside DE should mirror the RB.
Traditionally your "SSDE" would play over the TE when teams broke the huddle. Tempo and no huddle teams have made that hard to do anymore so alot of teams don't travel the front to the strength. They just play left and right and set the front to formation strength, field, or opposite the back depending on scheme.

But what if its pistol formation? lol
Lol fuggggg if I know

I think most (smart) college defensive coaches know you can’t run any Kind of traditional defenses with today’s game….. nick saban knows this

which is why you see someone like Keontra smith who even 5yeafs ago would be unheard of to be playing LB in the 220 range

Advertisement
Line up against left tackle if it’s a right handed qb. If there is a running back on the field and it’s not an empty set then they might line up on the side of the running back because the RB is like an extra blocker
Neither one of those things would determine how much weight a Defensive End needs to be.

Last edited:
Manny has played left and right ends pretty much exclusively since he’s been here other than year 1 but it seems most don’t notice that.

Lashlee did the same with the X/Z last year too. Air raid concept.
Exactly what I'm implying. LOL
We don't even use a "strongside DE". There is no strong side versus a 5-man line.

SDE is archaic and applies to when football was played in a phone booth and teams used inline TE's.

I guess nobody notices that our DE's stay on the same side most of the time. Phillips was almost always a left DE.

As far as the RB alignment is concerned, if anything you would want a lighter, longer and faster guy lined-up to that side because that's where Inside Zone and Zone Read takes place. That's the DE who's often unblocked.

Exactly what I'm implying. LOL
We don't even use a "strongside DE". There is no strong side versus a 5-man line.

SDE is archaic and applies to when football was played in a phone booth and teams used inline TE's.

I guess nobody notices that are DE's stay on the same side most of the time. Phillips was almost always a left DE.

As far as the RB alignment is concerned, if anything you would want a lighter, longer and faster guy lined-up to that side because that's where Inside Zone and Zone Read takes place. That's the DE who's often unblocked.
Yeah I said my piece on another post in this thread.

/lots of madden coaching going on in here today lol

Advertisement
Neither one of those things would determine how much weight a Defensive End needs to be.
Don’t know what prompted all of this but the “SDE” from what I was taught growing up was usually the better run defender. Size doesn’t matter but usually “SDE” are bigger than “Weakside” guys. Sometimes (like with the fins and pats) it’s used as a tweener role. All depends on who’s running the show.

In reality though, it doesn’t exist. It’s more of an athleticism thing. Both ends need to be able to set the edge. Both need to be able to be strong enough and athletic enough to slap somebody’s hands and bend a corner, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don’t know what prompted all of this but the “SDE” from what I was taught growing up was usually the better run defender. Size doesn’t matter but usually “SDE” are bigger than “Weakside” guys. Sometimes (like with the fins and pats) it’s used as a tweener role. All depends on who’s running the show.

In reality though, it doesn’t exist. It’s more of an athleticism thing. Both ends need to be able to set the edge. Both need to be able to be strong enough and athletic enough to slap somebody’s hands and bend a corner, etc.
But in today's game many formations are symmetrical, so there is no strong or weak side in the run game. It's not like back in the day where your strong-side DE had to deal with Tight Ends and Fullbacks.

But like you said, they both need to be able to do the same things. Both Defensive Ends are dealing with the same elements in today's game.

Advertisement
Back