Elijah Roberts to the portal

I wish him the best of luck, and understand why he would decide to seek a better opportunity elsewhere.

I always cringe a little every time Miami signs a tweener. Seems to rarely work out for the Canes. Maybe a different scheme would work better for him, and possibly things would still get better for him at the U were he to stay, but I’ll root for him to make it somewhere.

Advertisement
For some strange reason...posters here think we are going to "flip" the roster with talent from out the portal.....

Majority of that talent in the portal will be castaways fromt heir previous school so this will be interesting to watch.

They keep saying we will have 40 new guys.....like it just will be 40 beast in the portal good enough to make up for the coaching defiicencies of Mario Cristobal.

Im not expecting to see a complete turn around that some are expecting...im expecting small steps in hopefully a new offensive staff. We will have talent deficiencies on Defense still next year imo due to previous recruiting and always losing guys like Elijah Roberts or depth pieces.

Exactly.
Some of these folks think this is the NFL where you can replace players with equal or better talent via the draft, free-agemcy, etc.

Im all for conceding that maybe hes better off playing in a 3-4 scheme or whatever scheme it was that Manny ran..but im not going to sit here and say that whenever I saw him play last season..he didnt flash. He popped off the screen. This goes to the narrative that for some reason..alot of players have regressed this season under Mario and this staff.... Very few players got better from last year to this year.

We can count them on one hand. You cant say "didnt work hard/didnt buy-in/didnt like their position coach/wasnt tough enough/etc" about every player that didnt progress.

That is the problem I am having with Mario right now. Hes lost some credibility with me. Its no longer "Whatever Mario says or does, Im riding with no matter what" like it was last offseason. I will be questioning things now.

What evidence does anyone have that he's not better than he was last year? His statistical output is higher, I assume he's playing more now than in previous seasons (I don't have access to all snap counts, but recently he's been consistently DE5 in the rotation getting like 10% of the teams snaps). We'd have to check historical snapcounts and I'm not about to do that, but he's been playing more than last year, it seems. He and Harvey were the top two DE holdovers, which, seems to track.

Advertisement
No one is saying to get 30 players out of the portal - EVERY Year…

People are saying that the talent on the team is atrocious….so that would mean if we can’t plug those holes from the portal, that every player in the portal is below atrocious… which just isn’t true…

Seems to me that there is some excuse building afoot to rationalize a multi year rebuild when Duke did it in 1 year and put it in our butt while doing it…

For some strange reason...posters here think we are going to "flip" the roster with talent from out the portal.....

Majority of that talent in the portal will be castaways fromt heir previous school so this will be interesting to watch.

They keep saying we will have 40 new guys.....like it just will be 40 beast in the portal good enough to make up for the coaching defiicencies of Mario Cristobal.

Im not expecting to see a complete turn around that some are expecting...im expecting small steps in hopefully a new offensive staff. We will have talent deficiencies on Defense still next year imo due to previous recruiting and always losing guys like Elijah Roberts or depth pieces.
Over half will be freshmen and some of these freshmen are playing right away and some starting. The linebackers coming in are bigger and more athletic than what we have on roster. Same with the offensive linemen. McClain starts the second he steps on Greentree.

I was told the number is greater than 20 and this is a mutual number. Some kids already know.

What I do like is we have a complete staff of analysts and player acquisition has been a priority. That was not available to us in January. We can find good players and improve the current roster. The kids that have been here for 4 years and have done very little you have to ask them to move on. A handful will look be a new opportunity and a better situation.

There are going to be changes on the staff. I was not given a number but all I was told is it will be impactful.

I was also told they are not going to let Cristobal fail. He is going to be given everything he needs.

I agree with you. A realistic expectation needs to be set.

Over half will be freshmen and some of these freshmen are playing right away and some starting. The linebackers coming in are bigger and more athletic than what we have on roster. Same with the offensive linemen. McClain starts the second he steps on Greentree.

I was told the number is greater than 20 and this is a mutual number. Some kids already know.

What I do like is we have a complete staff of analysts and player acquisition has been a priority. That was not available to us in January. We can find good players and improve the current roster. The kids that have been here for 4 years and have done very little you have to ask them to move on. A handful will look be a new opportunity and a better situation.

There are going to be changes on the staff. I was not given a number but all I was told is it will be impactful.

I was also told they are not going to let Cristobal fail. He is going to be given everything he needs.

I agree with you. A realistic expectation needs to be set.

Not available in January?

The HC makes $8 million dollars… the portal was open… he just didn’t get enough out of it…

AND clearly “what he needs” is to get out of his own way…and remember who he learned from and how that legend adapted…

Not available in January?

The HC makes $8 million dollars… the portal was open… he just didn’t get enough out of it…
What does how much he make have a **** thing to do with it? The short answer is nothing. He did not have the support staff anywhere in place. Should be a much better result and if it isn't than we have real issues and concerns moving forward.

And quite frankly the better players and contributors are portal guys. Mesidor, Agude, and Jackson on defense. Leading rusher is Parrish. 2 of the 4 leading receivers are Ladson and Young.

Advertisement
What does how much he make have a **** thing to do with it? The short answer is nothing. He did not have the support staff anywhere in place. Should be a much better result and if it isn't than we have real issues and concerns moving forward.

And quite frankly the better players and contributors are portal guys. Mesidor, Agude, and Jackson on defense. Leading rusher is Parrish. 2 of the 4 leading receivers are Ladson and Young.

Agreed. The money is simply that we went big game fishing and caught a can of bumblebee tuna so far…

When people say 40 new players on the roster that's 25-30 high school and 10-15 portal. Nobody has ever said go take 40 kids from the portal.

This team played with low effort and low IQ all season long.

It reminds me of that scene in Band of Brothers (true story) where they're in basic training and the sergeant is pushing them too hard and making a dumb decisions. The cadets and squad leader go over the sergeant's head and tell the major that they refuse to run anymore unless the sergeant is fired/replaced. The major "fires" the sergeant, or reassigns him to dig trenches in Alaska or some ****, BUT he also demotes or fires the entire squad for insubordination. Who is right and who is wrong doesn't matter.

That's our team right now. Bet your *** that Gattis is gone, he lost the faith of his team and he made stupid decisions. BUT, bet your *** also that the players who quit during the year or whined and cried about him are also gone, because the expectation is you play hard and practice hard no matter who your coach is and how dumb he is.

40 new players is very likely, I'd say.

Thank you for sharing this. I am glad this was cleared up and helps to disprove the narratives that the players were untalented, lazy, soft, and entitled brats from the Diaz regime who didn't want to work. I hope no one else tries to use that stupid excuse as a way to railroad and pile onto the young men from here on out.
Her kid wasn’t but the rest of your post is untrue. Anybody that’s actually has connections knows that not true. A certain fan favorite is one of them as well.

There‘s going to be a ton of new players because Mario wants a ton of new players here.

Advertisement
No one is saying to get 30 players out of the portal - EVERY Year…

People are saying that the talent on the team is atrocious….so that would mean if we can’t plug those holes from the portal, that every player in the portal is below atrocious… which just isn’t true…

Seems to me that there is some excuse building afoot to rationalize a multi year rebuild when Duke did it in 1 year and put it in our butt while doing it…
It’s going to be around 45 new guys but that’s also including our recruiting class when it’s all said and done. The portal isnt built to find 30 productive guys.

Definitely expect significant turnover, but unlikely the number approaches 45. More likely in the 35 range with recruits & portal.

Advertisement
Her kid wasn’t but the rest of your post is untrue. Anybody that’s actually has connections knows that not true. A certain fan favorite is one of them as well.

There‘s going to be a ton of new players because Mario wants a ton of new players here.

Agree. Everything I've read and seen is that Roberts is a talented player who has the right attitude and commitment level. He got caught up in the churn, through no fault of his own. I expect him to go on and do great things elsewhere.

But to think there isn't rot inside that locker room is naïve. The Twitter stuff, guys not being in condition or listening to their coaches, kids walking out of practice. That's partly on the coaches, no doubt. But it's definitely on the players, too. Let's face it, we recruited in a lot of kids that should never have been Canes to begin with, either due to lack of top level talent, attitude or both.

Back to the thread topic, I wish ER nothing but the best, he's a Miami kid for sure.

What evidence does anyone have that he's not better than he was last year? His statistical output is higher, I assume he's playing more now than in previous seasons (I don't have access to all snap counts, but recently he's been consistently DE5 in the rotation getting like 10% of the teams snaps). We'd have to check historical snapcounts and I'm not about to do that, but he's been playing more than last year, it seems. He and Harvey were the top two DE holdovers, which, seems to track.
Hes a 3rd year kid right? This should have been his "quantum leap" season and it didnt happen for some reason. And ER was a big time prospect coming out HS. This wasnt a kid who we were 50-50 on. He was a stud. I will concede that maybe the system change screwed him. (Like it did Gil Frierson).

There are going to be a large amount of players out after this season, some that will sting a bit. This one stings. Best of luck to him.

I was assuming this freshman class is going to get significant playing time. This has got be a selling point to stay in this class and be a big part of the turnaround. I would assume after the recruits (depending how many we sign) we will supplement with portal scraps.

Advertisement
Back