Elijah Roberts to the portal

Advertisement
The ones who say Mario isn't a big portal guy, yes thats true.

Thats why he hired the Michigan State guy who oversaw a roster turnover of similar size with the Spartans in 2021. And they went from bottom below average to ranked.

Mario isn't going to pick the guys. Andrew Rodgers will.

gotta love how folks on this site will trash kids leaving Miami via the portal but praise the portal transfer kids who come here.

boom.gif

Elijah bought in! WE bought in. Please don't believe everything you hear. ALOT of players bought in. Everyone that I know of WAS excited about the change.
Thank you for sharing this. I am glad this was cleared up and helps to disprove the narratives that the players were untalented, lazy, soft, and entitled brats from the Diaz regime who didn't want to work. I hope no one else tries to use that stupid excuse as a way to railroad and pile onto the young men from here on out.

Still believe our current roster--as talented as they were proclaimed to be coming into this program--saw their talents wasted and coached down in the last two regimes. How many dudes can we say "What could have been if they had the right coaching" about?

The unfortunate reality is that trying to coach the poor coaching and mediocrity out of upperclassmen is a **** near unsurmountable task, even for the most seasoned of head coaches. I liken it to child rearing. It is well-known that if you instill good habit early in a child's life, they will carry those habits into adulthood. Those without discipline and good habits will suffer from the lack of in adulthood. Some might say the athlete shares the blame (the victim of circumstance argument being invalid), some might say it was an unfortunate scenario of being in the right place at the wrong time (having been coached by Blake Baker, Manny Diaz, Jon Richt, etc).

I don't really get mad at these young men for going elsewhere. They were sold a lemon under previous coaches; and frankly, I have 40 years invested in this program where these guys likely just heard we had a football team like 10 years ago.

Good luck to the good ones departing the Canes.

Advertisement
The roster is going to change so dramatically that no one is going to have a read on how to forecast this team.
I can see the built in excuse for the Mario groupies already when they underperform. He had to turnover the whole roster, chemistry isn't built overnight, and it's heading in the right direction.

Meanwhile USC, Ole Miss, and Duke all turned over their rosters this year and all had success.

His mom is literally on here posting it...lol I suggest you look a few post up.

It IS politics at times as ive played college ball as well. I mean **** they kind of were force to play Colbie Young this year or we would of stil think Redding was a better player. Those 2 dudes are graduate players that transferred in....they kind of have to get reps. if healthy.
All respect to mom, but that's just one side of the story, man.

When you get an opportunity, you've got to take advantage of it when you are that low on the depth chart...like your example of Colbie Young.

He was 5th DE on the depth chart per snap counts (higher than I thought, to be fair), he wasn't getting reps over Harvey, Mesidor, Agude, and Kelly. He was outsnapping the token transfer examples and Chantz Williams. How many more snaps should he have gotten? From whom? What politics were involved in him not getting reps?

Advertisement

Thats why he hired the Michigan State guy who oversaw a roster turnover of similar size with the Spartans in 2021. And they went from bottom below average to ranked.

And what role will Highsmith have? doesn't he have a wealth of experience in evaluating personnel?

Thank you for sharing this. I am glad this was cleared up and helps to disprove the narratives that the players were untalented, lazy, soft, and entitled brats from the Diaz regime who didn't want to work. I hope no one else tries to use that stupid excuse as a way to railroad and pile onto the young men from here on out.
The argument on both side is too general. To say ALL were soft and entitled would be inaccurate as well as saying NO ONE was soft and entitled. It does appear clear that there is a culture issue within the program and it's also clear that our All-Star coaching staff has not met expectations. Like a marriage on the rocks, often there are many factors that lead to failure. As for the 'bought-in' comment made by 99's mom, I don't doubt that at all. However, we all know that TALKING change and MAKING change are separate issues altogether. So after TALK of change and the excitement of buy-in took place, the reality was that a handful of d-linemen, nearly all SDE/DT types were added to the roster. As well as a big-time pass rushing HS prospect.

Advertisement
I dont know of anything 38 year old Lichtenstein or Anotonio Moultrie have done that Elijah Roberts couldnt do with the reps. They the type of castoffs im speaking on actually. The Denis, Sagapalu's of the world.

Or that you recruited these graduate transfers with promise of reps and have to play them...(regards to the bolded)
Exactly. The guys you mentioned are depth pieces at best. They're not helping us win games now and that's not going to magically change next year.

And that model has proven to not be sustainable. Michigan State is back to being garbage this year.

Advertisement
All respect to mom, but that's just one side of the story, man.

When you get an opportunity, you've got to take advantage of it when you are that low on the depth chart...like your example of Colbie Young.

He was 5th DE on the depth chart per snap counts (higher than I thought, to be fair), he wasn't getting reps over Harvey, Mesidor, Agude, and Kelly. He was outsnapping the token transfer examples and Chantz Williams. How many more snaps should he have gotten? From whom? What politics were involved in him not getting reps?
Im all for conceding that maybe hes better off playing in a 3-4 scheme or whatever scheme it was that Manny ran..but im not going to sit here and say that whenever I saw him play last season..he didnt flash. He popped off the screen. This goes to the narrative that for some reason..alot of players have regressed this season under Mario and this staff.... Very few players got better from last year to this year.

We can count them on one hand. You cant say "didnt work hard/didnt buy-in/didnt like their position coach/wasnt tough enough/etc" about every player that didnt progress.

That is the problem I am having with Mario right now. Hes lost some credibility with me. Its no longer "Whatever Mario says or does, Im riding with no matter what" like it was last offseason. I will be questioning things now.

Exactly. The guys you mentioned are depth pieces at best. They're not helping us win games now and that's not going to magically change next year.
Look, we suck so it's hard to defend just about anything at this point. But as I recall Lichtenstein was an early portal take before #6 and #90 jumped in. The DL #'s along with inexperience inside and at SDE had to be a major concern. They had #44 on the line for a minute and finally decided he was a take. And for as bad as we've been overall, the DL has been decent, not giving up 600 yds on the ground ike the UNC debacle in '20. So maybe in retrospect you don't take Licht. and/or #44. But roster building isn't an exact science, and pertaining to Roberts - he came in unproven AND had some injury problems(?). In a perfect world he didn't get jammed up and got more reps. But I wouldn't consider this instance to be a major issue. Unfortunate, but certainly not uncommon.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back