Elijah Moore wins the Opening Orlando Regional WR MVP

View as article
Advertisement
I’m actually saying that the same types of events with posters going against the staff then is happening now with the same posters who made good calls back then, and those guys are dismissed by you and the crew today when they question or criticize the coaches.

Those guys were right here in 2016 and 2017, including... ready for this one... @Canemang. You guys should be more open-minded and less auto-dismissive.

I don’t follow recruiting very closely actually. But if I did I wouldn’t go through every thread looking for mistakes by either side as some indictment or proof of right or wrong by anyone. Especially when there isn’t a single coach that did it even here anymore.

Do you realize how preposterous you guys sound dying on this 2016-2017 hill?

Last edited:
He didn’t have an offer according to whom? Not according to people here that would supposedly knew - I’m going by what was stated in this thread, which is the whole basis for discussion.
He didn’t have an offer. He would’ve been here. They can say whatever they want but if it’s not committable then it’s not a real offer.

Advertisement
I don’t follow recruiting very closely actually. But if I did I wouldn’t go through every thread looking for mistakes by either side as some indictment or proof of right or wrong by anyone. Especially when there isn’t a single coach that did it even here anymore.

Do you realize how preposterous you guys sound dying on this 2016-2017 hill?

These receipts are not meant as an indictment on the current staff. That would, in fact, be illogical.

But, as @RVACane is trying to point out, these easily searchable, contemporaneous opinions are evidence to support the counter-argument that some of the individuals being critical of the current staff's evaluations do have an eye for evaluating local talent.

So when they say the staff needs to offer/prioritize player X, and people respond with "well, you don't know better than the UM coaching staff," it's fair to pull out their evaluation resumes.

Whether those prior staffs are still here is totally beside the point being made.

These receipts are not meant as an indictment on the current staff. That would, in fact, be illogical.

But, as @RVACane is trying to point out, these easily searchable, contemporaneous opinions are evidence to support the counter-argument that some of the individuals being critical of the current staff's evaluations do have an eye for evaluating local talent.

So when they say the staff needs to offer/prioritize player X, and people respond with "well, you don't know better than the UM coaching staff," it's fair to pull out their evaluation resumes.

Whether those prior staffs are still here is totally beside the point being made.

It would be fair if it was the same staff and there was an equal amount of attention given to all the whiffs they fawned over who crashed and burned. Those are long forgotten.

This place is the epitome of success having many fathers but failure being an orphan.

It would be fair if it was the same staff and there was an equal amount of attention given to all the whiffs they fawned over who crashed and burned. Those are long forgotten.

This place is the epitome of success having many fathers but failure being an orphan.

On the bolded part you are correct and I agree.

The "same staff" argument is completely irrelevant to whether these posters are any good at evaluating local talent.

On the bolded part you are correct and I agree.

The "same staff" argument is completely irrelevant to whether these posters are any good at evaluating local talent.

I know there are a select number of guys here who are connected locally and know what they’re talking about.

Advertisement
I know there are a select number of guys here who are connected locally and know what they’re talking about.

Yes, and those guys opinions carry weight.

Several were also the same that say he had a legit and commitable offer - in this thread - which was the one that was bumped.

But while there are a small handful of people here whose evaluations mean something because they have first hand knowledge, think about the absolute meltdown this board would have had if at the time we had signed Moore but not Pope - Pope was a “must get”

Yes, and those guys opinions carry weight.

Several were also the same that say he had a legit and commitable offer - in this thread - which was the one that was bumped.

But while there are a small handful of people here whose evaluations mean something because they have first hand knowledge, think about the absolute meltdown this board would have had if at the time we had signed Moore but not Pope - Pope was a “must get”
Pope was a “must get” for most of the board.

I’m on record saying that Elijah Moore was my favorite WR recruit for that cycle, and the must get at that position.

Unlike most posters on this site, I do not fawn over star ratings. I use my eyes to evaluate a kid. Elijah had traits on game film that were undeniable. He was murking guys left and right. Making them look foolish on the original game film that @Coach Macho shared of him. Pope, on the other hand, had very little impressive film playing WR, and was being projected more on his future potential.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The SFE coaches themselves woud not take Moore over Pope back in 2018. And I'm sure they love Moore. But we did not have to choose between those two. There were so many WRs we had above Moore. After we had Pope, Wiggins, and Hightower in the bag, we chose to pursue Tyquan Thorton and Marquez Ezzard. Should have been Thorton and Moore.

edit: Forgot Moore played on Florida Fire but my general point stands

Last edited:
I would also add that guys like Peter Ariz didn’t help with his hyping up of Pope from Paradise Camp. I’ve said various times on CiS threads that Ariz was a very poor talent evaluator.

Everyone hyped up Pope's Paradise Camp performance because it was that good. NFL legends, college coaches, high school coaches, fans, etc. would all confirm that. Pope looked just as good as Devonta Smith at 17. Obviously, we saw how that turned out.

Advertisement
The SFE coaches themselves woud not take Moore over Pope back in 2018. But we did not have to choose between those two. There were so many WRs we had above Moore. After we had Pope, Wiggins, and Hightower in the bag, we chose to pursue Tyquan Thorton and Marquez Ezzard. Should have been Thorton and Moore.
Shows you just how poor the coaching evals have been for way too long at the U.

That staff prioritized the guys that ended up being busts, over the dudes that ended up being ballers. The evidence is irrefutable.

Everyone hyped up Pope's Paradise Camp performance because it was that good. NFL legends, college coaches, high school coaches, fans, etc. would all confirm that. Pope looked just as good as Devonta Smith at 17. Obviously, we saw how that turned out.
That’s why you don’t judge what a kid can/can’t do off of 7-on-7 footage. Kids can take forever trying to juke guys at the line in camp settings. That does not happen in real game situations, and especially not while having to run through traffic.

That’s why you don’t judge what a kid can/can’t do off of 7-on-7 footage. Kids can take forever trying to juke guys at the line in camp settings. That does not happen in real game situations, and especially not while having to run through traffic.

Agree, but Pope killed folks in pads too and did not use 100 moves to get open at Paradise.

Advertisement
Back