Eddie Nunez track record

They do care about basketball at New Mexico and have a nice history in the sports. Lets take a look at Nunez vs the 2 previous ADs

Davalos .648 winning %
Krebs .670 winning %
Nunez .484 winning %

Insert excuses here.
No excuses. Lack of money. You are welcome.

Advertisement
Funny.... remember similar reactions from Houston when we warned them about D'No.
Different job, I know. But I don't understand the "how difficult it is to win there argument". At least, have a semi successful program winning 75% of your games.

Biggest issue is that ADs like this have gotten used to losing coaches and not sure if they will swing heads here if someone is underperforming. ... especially someone like Miaz or Laranaga
"Different job, I know"

Period. Thats when the whole post should have just stopped.

New Mexico had an average and a good season in 11 years. Thats it. Thats being permanent football bottom. the fact they collapsed with the same coach should tell, no, scream you that.

This you: “…a university with next to no money and no athletic success for the past ten years.”

So… winning your division in football is “no athletic success”?

Also… Basketball?? UNM won 20+ games every year between ‘07 and ‘14.

Their basketball program has gotten MUCH WORSE.

And Nunez is a basketball guy.

Fail.

Both are as bad in my opinion. The fact both are even in the conversation is why miami sucks.

Did you read the multiple articles provided in this thread which outlined the scandal he was dealing with as well as his overall resume and the quotes about him from multiple high ranking officials?

We don't really know anything yet other than the names they want us to know.
Agreed.

So is the nunez being interviewed twice a rumor or truth? If they have interviewed him twice then hes probably their guy. Just going off 20 years of this ****.

Advertisement
This you: “…a university with next to no money and no athletic success for the past ten years.”

Fail.

Ain't nobody got time for logic ************.

So I starting wondering why Miami would want Eddie Nunez other than the fact he's from Miami. I think it's only fair to judge an AD the same way as a coach so I looked at New Mexico's football team in what is one of the weakest divisions in Football to see how they have faired after Eddie was hired.
Conference , Overall
... Wins Losses , Wins Losses
2021 1 - 7 , 3 - 9
2020 2 - 5 , 2 - 5
2019 0 - 8 , 2 - 10
2018 1 - 7 , 3 - 9
2017 1 - 7 , 3 - 9

This shows absolutely no progress at all.

The year before he was hired the Lobos were 6-2 in conference and 9-4 overall

Nunez is the genius that hired Danny Gonzalez (5-14 record) as head coach of the Lobos and all that coach has done is turn a promising football program into the laughing stock of the Mountain West.

In Short Nunez has been a Terrible AD for New Mexico with a Bad coaching hire and total inaction on correcting the issue. If we hire him you can almost guarantee Manny stays and Miami will be plunged into another decade of mediocrity.
NM is probably one of the hardest places to recruit a good coach for football. frankly I am not concerned with the AD hire as long as he is given a clear mandate and money to execute.

Advertisement
After reading multiple articles, I’m impressed with Nunez’s resume.

He looks to be a very strong candidate.

Take bio with a pinch of salt. Lacks context and exaggerates flash points or blips...

Did you read Dan Werner's bio put out by his agent after he was fired from Miami....

I thought I was reading about offensive genius, Bill Walsh .

Fail.
Did we have success in Blake James tenure? We were ranked second at one point?

Also 2021 - 10 = 2011.

And, again: Please prove how this is Nunez fault.

So I starting wondering why Miami would want Eddie Nunez other than the fact he's from Miami. I think it's only fair to judge an AD the same way as a coach so I looked at New Mexico's football team in what is one of the weakest divisions in Football to see how they have faired after Eddie was hired.
Conference , Overall
... Wins Losses , Wins Losses
2021 1 - 7 , 3 - 9
2020 2 - 5 , 2 - 5
2019 0 - 8 , 2 - 10
2018 1 - 7 , 3 - 9
2017 1 - 7 , 3 - 9

This shows absolutely no progress at all.

The year before he was hired the Lobos were 6-2 in conference and 9-4 overall

Nunez is the genius that hired Danny Gonzalez (5-14 record) as head coach of the Lobos and all that coach has done is turn a promising football program into the laughing stock of the Mountain West.

In Short Nunez has been a Terrible AD for New Mexico with a Bad coaching hire and total inaction on correcting the issue. If we hire him you can almost guarantee Manny stays and Miami will be plunged into another decade of mediocrity.

/Leaves out the parts regarding financial ruin and attorney general investigation into the schools athletic department

I mean I've been contracted by about 10 schools, mostly in support of larger firms (so far) and worked with ADs related to budget and resources and consulting and working with athletic departments and banks to finance facilities upgrades, projects, and athletic departments in general in the last 2.5 years. SEC, Sun Belt, SoCon, MAC, etc.

I also worked for RSM and was on the engagement auditing UM's financials.... and in comparison with most schools, including multiple Group of 5 athletic departments, we are behind. Who gives a rats *** about an ADs Wins and Losses when you need someone to bring you up to speed with everyone else in all of these other areas - the primary focus of the AD better be just that - and let an expert, like Alonzo, make decisions in regards to football operations/hires/recruiting/etc.

It's been my forte, almost by accident, since I started consulting. What do I know, though.

Met a lot of people in athletic administration and actually talked to a few this week but none know much about this Nunez guy so I'm trying to avoid making any actual assumption about him.
I need to get this guys job..need any finance attorneys LOL

Advertisement
The article I posted yesterday said the New Mexico AD is operating at a $7.5M deficit, which is apparently a huge number for them. I couldn't tell if the deficit accrued on his watch, or if he inherited some/all of it from his predecessor.

I guess I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt -- how many guys can do something with the New Mexico programs? His time at LSU, even if not the top dawg, is meaningful experience at a major SEC program that went through multiple coaching hires and won titles during his tenure.

Advertisement
just for giggles has anyone researched Washington State's football record from 1976-1983 under Sam Jankovich (arguably our best AD ever)?

The coach's record, mostly under Jankovich, Jim Walden (1978-1986), finished with a 44-52-4 overall record.

Not saying Nunez (if hired) will be a Sam Jankovich but this just goes to show how looking solely at w-l record doesn't tell you the whole story.

You have been moping and *****ing about everything for days and you want to call others beta? Sit the **** down and shut up.

And how do you know what I want? Where have I advocated for Nunez? I wanted Jurich or White.

Lol internet tough guy alert. Bahahahaha.

Im just spitting facts to the participation trophy men on this forum.

LOL. No excuses, names an excuse that apparently the other ADs didn't have.

Isn't Nunez supposed to be a master fundraiser? So there shouldn't be a money issue.
How many good ADs have inherited a program with athletics getting three million in revenue, having to pay back deficits whilst managing a pandemic and enjoying good success? Please name them.

Lol internet tough guy alert. Bahahahaha.

Im just spitting facts to the participation trophy men on this forum.
Please prove how Nunez is at fault. I am still waiting for any facts.

Besides, you are calling me an internet tough guy? Lol, good one.

Advertisement
Back