Ed. Reed for secondary coach?

Lol "experts" think they know what it takes to be a good secondary coach smh I'm sure u all were Paul Williams fans.

Anyone who doesn't think Ed Reed would be a good choice for the job is an idiot. It's ****n secondary coach not DC, its one of the spots u can take a chance on an unproven coach. Clowns on here act like Ed Reed on staff at least long enough to evaluate would cause irreversible damage gtfoh

So people who don't think he'd be a good choice are idiot but people who suggest a guy with zero coaching experience are logical thinkers?

Advertisement
I doubt he's ready for the 100-120 hour work weeks

And that's the biggest thing.

College coaching is extremely demanding. It's a full-time grind.

These guys don't know that. They think it's as simple as showing up and coaching some technique, therefore a former stud player should be able to do it.

These guys don't know that. They think it's as simple as showing up and coaching some technique, therefore a former stud player should be able to do it.

So you think Ed reed doesn't know that when he put in the work with the coaches. smh

Sometimes being able to play and being able to coach are two different things. I love Ed Reed but hoping for a DB coach with more coaching experience.

Bear Bryant did it when it wasn't cool to have blacks on the team in the south...it was because he was extremely smart in negotiating that obstacle when there wasn't a template to follow...

Kentucky was the 1st SEC team to integrate in 67', Bama didn't integrate till 71'. But it doesn't matter to me when they integrated, because dudes like Gaither,Robinson,Mumford,etc. were already killin' it in the MEAC & SWAC...these young bucks don't know that the MEAC & SWAC were the pre-cursor to the SEC!

Advertisement

So you think Ed reed doesn't know that when he put in the work with the coaches. smh

Who the **** said that Ed doesn't know?

I'm talkin' about you muthafvckers.

College coaching is more demanding than any level of football coaching. It's a 24/7 grind. Not only are you coaching your a$$ off and spending all **** day babysitting 18-22 year old athletes but you're also on the road during the off-season, traveling city to city for recruiting. That **** is extremely demanding. Just cause a guy can play Safety at an All Pro level doesn't mean that he can excel at all of the extra **** that comes with college coaching.

Is a guy who busted his a$$ on the football field for his whole life going to embrace that grind during a time where he's retired and trying to relax and spend time with his family? Coaching college football is harder and more demanding than playing in the NFL. (in terms of dedication obviously, not physical demand)

My view on this is that the wisdom of hiring Ed is entirely a function of the DC we hire. If that DC is a veteran, has experience coaching DBs and feels that he can mentor Ed on the finer points of coaching and game planning, it could be a home run hire. Ed has the magnetic personality, legitimacy, intelligence and work ethic to lead and recruit young men. That said, you don't just role out of bed a competent coach, it would take oversight to work.

I agree... don't think Ray Lewis would be a good coach.. Warren Sapp no... Vinny no.. Dorsey yes.. Reed yes... most greats can't coach what they know..Saban is a great DB coach cause he played with out the skill sets that 98 percent of the kids he coached has ..he was able to compete cause of his understanding of X's and O's... What most dont understand is these kids nowadays don't need as much teaching as they do motivation to be the absolute best they can be... and being able to relate to these kids is monumental...its hard to motivate someone when you can't relate to their struggle...not trying to race bait.. but most of college football players are black and most of the coaches are white..so race is an obstacle that has to be dealt with...

So you bring up Saban, one of the best DB coaches ever......and then say white dudes can't relate to the players and thus it's an obstacle.

Must be why Paul Williams knocked it out of the park, and Chuck Pagano's career never went anywhere, right?
I said its an obstacle.. not impossible

But it's not an obstacle. There are literally thousands upon thousands of white coaches across America at all levels who are coaching the heck out of players. Skin color has nothing to do with coaching ability.
Ok I am pro black not anti white.. my grand mother is white my grand son is half white.. i do no discriminate against white people at all but being black i have experienced racial discrimination so I'm sensitive to the topic I admit sometimes i reach.. I ask you this and would respect your honest opinion... I feel that Muschamp broke UF then broke AU's Def but is now a HC in the SEC... Shannon didnt do as much damage at Miami it was already broke when he took over.. but i feel he will not have the opportunity to be a Power 5 HC for some years to come ... do you think that has anything to do with skin tone? And you are right there are thousands of white coaches who does a great job relating to black kids..but still its an obstacle. ..If Custamotta would have stayed alive for 10 more years Mike Tyson would have never lost a fight..because Cus was one of very few people that could relate to Mike.. so don't take my statement as bashing white coaches... Bear Bryant did it when it wasn't cool to have blacks on the team in the south...it was because he was extremely smart in negotiating that obstacle when there wasn't a template to follow...he built the template not only dealing with coaching blacks but dealing with the rich white boosters that hated blacks. Getting off the soap box. My primary point is racial difference is an obstacle but it is negotable...some whites can do it better than some blacks but to act like it don't exist is like the river in Egypt (Da Nile)

Well stated. I am not sure Randy is the best one to put up. I loved him but not as HC. However, the comparison to Muschump is a good choice because he also clearly sucks. Neither have earned a second shot as a major HC job. You hit at something that is always confusing. The good old boy system in coaching the retreads coaches regularly. I am not sure this has anything to do with race and given time, many failed unqualified black coaches will be getting unfair multiple chances. It would help if the one who get shots at high level schools like Miami and UT actually succeed. But you are right about negotiable. The attitude we loved in our old Canes is not going to endear a HC to rick people use to having the rears kissed. In my extensive experience with rich people that "kiss my rear" is not a white trait anywhere near as much as it is a money trait.

Thanks for giving Bear his credit. He purposely scheduled USC to beat the crap out of Bama with their speed. He used it a lever to open the school up to integrating the football team. Turned out Southern whites care more about winning football games than segregation. Not as impressive as thousands to troops and endless laws but sure as heck accomplish a great deal. To bad our leaders are not as effective as that old man.

Advertisement
You hit at something that is always confusing. The good old boy system in coaching the retreads coaches regularly. I am not sure this has anything to do with race and given time, many failed unqualified black coaches will be getting unfair multiple chances.

"Given time"?

Man, the $h!t has gotten WORSE since integration!

Seriously, who do you think was coaching African American players during segragation?

Seems the "powers that be" did a good job of integrating African American players to fatten up the pockets of ADs & HCs...but they did a $h!tty job of integrating the African American coaches who were coaching those players up in the 1st place!...co-ink-ee-dink?...NOPE!

So please miss me with that "I am not sure this has anything to do with race" BS, you know better than that.

Lol "experts" think they know what it takes to be a good secondary coach smh I'm sure u all were Paul Williams fans.

Anyone who doesn't think Ed Reed would be a good choice for the job is an idiot. It's ****n secondary coach not DC, its one of the spots u can take a chance on an unproven coach. Clowns on here act like Ed Reed on staff at least long enough to evaluate would cause irreversible damage gtfoh

So people who don't think he'd be a good choice are idiot but people who suggest a guy with zero coaching experience are logical thinkers?

yes that makes you an idiot, logic has little to do with this topic either way.

Y'all act like we're talking about Randy Phillips or some ****... Ed Reed is one of the greatest players to play football at any position but you dont think he could possibly be a good option as a DB coach at UM?? Doesnt make sense

Last edited:

Y'all act like we're talking about Randy Phillips or some ****... Ed Reed is one of the greatest players to play football at any position but you dont think he could possibly be a good option as a DB coach at UM?? Doesnt make sense

+1 This ***** marcho wins 1 or 2 games a year and thinks he's some god **** football guru. My **** pop warner team would spank the daylights out of his high school team.

You hit at something that is always confusing. The good old boy system in coaching the retreads coaches regularly. I am not sure this has anything to do with race and given time, many failed unqualified black coaches will be getting unfair multiple chances.

"Given time"?

Man, the $h!t has gotten WORSE since integration!

Seriously, who do you think was coaching African American players during segragation?

Seems the "powers that be" did a good job of integrating African American players to fatten up the pockets of ADs & HCs...but they did a $h!tty job of integrating the African American coaches who were coaching those players up in the 1st place!...co-ink-ee-dink?...NOPE!

So please miss me with that "I am not sure this has anything to do with race" BS, you know better than that.

If you start with the assumption that anything bad that happens to a black person is always about race there is very little room to talk about these things. Perhaps you are correct and then the conflict will continue with reaction after reaction. What I was saying is that one day incompetent black coaches will be getting hired after failures just like incompetent white coaches are now. It seems to be something in the system that facilitates it. Certainly second chances for failed black coaches were very,very rare, but that is starting to happen now. As the number of them who get second chances increases then the base issue of why the heck do failed coaches get another top end job so often will start to get addressed. There should be more room at the top for everyone instead of just recycling the same losers - white or black.

As a Cane I am happy that coaches who fail at Miami do not seem to get those high end second chances regardless of race. Larry had to go to some start up chump change place in the wilderness for a HC job. Randy will probably have to do the same. Al should never get another decent HC job. If he does, I bet it will be because of one of his psu shower mates but I will understand if you dry racism instead.

One think I don't understand is why you assume I would know better than that? Do we know each other? That sort of statement always strikes me as strange. I hear something like it a lot when discussing politics with liberals "You're smarter than that." It comes out when you disagree with something they believe. There is more to discussion than being absolutely right(which is hard to determine anyway). Sometimes a statement is not intend to convince but rather to stimulate deeper thought and further discussion. But surely you are smart enough to know that already.

Advertisement

Makes about as much sense as YOU thinking he could be a good coach just cause he was a good player.

+1 This ***** marcho wins 1 or 2 games a year and thinks he's some god **** football guru. My **** pop warner team would spank the daylights out of his high school team.

LOL

Advertisement
So Dirty Sprite is going on and on about race and needing more black coaches......and we wonder why he had a hard on far Charlie Weak? He'd rather put his social agenda ahead of the welfare of the program. Just like Shalala.

Havent we been ******* godawful ****** embarrassment of a program long enough? And some of you MORONS want to bring in former players (regardless of legendary status as such) to be coaches? Give me guys who know how to coach. Guys that have been doing it. Let our former players cut their teeth elsewhere, like Dorsey is doing at Carolina.

Havent we been ****ing godawful ****ty embarrassment of a program long enough? And some of you MORONS want to bring in former players (regardless of legendary status as such) to be coaches? Give me guys who know how to coach. Guys that have been doing it. Let our former players cut their teeth elsewhere, like Dorsey is doing at Carolina.

You are asking people to comprehend things in an abstract way, beyond their circle of competence. You are asking people to learn from the past. You are asking people to use deductive logic. We are talking about folks who barely finished high school here.

Anybody with a Future avatar is probably 18 years old and needs to go sit the fvck down somewhere.

Advertisement
Back