Ed. Reed for secondary coach?

Advertisement
Being an instinctive player like Reed often makes it quite hard to teach kids where it doesn't come naturally. HoF players don't automatically make great, or even good, coaches. He can pay his dues as a grad assistant, or some other way to prove himself in the coaching ranks.

What are your thoughts on Ed coaching the secondary?

Every time I hear let's bring in a former player to coach I cringe. Except for Ed Reed. Most Ravens will tell you Reed was the true leader of the team. He is a student of the game. Just ask Bellicek and Brady. No doubt he could coach a college secondary. Be a great way for him to jump into coaching.

Advertisement
Although I don't see it being a realistic option, Ed reed would be able to sign any db in America. Who would you rather be coached by a top 3 db of all time or coach Callahan from UF or coach Kelly from Fsu who have probably never played in the NFL?

I don't quite get the constant thought of former players alway being brought up for coaching gigs here

Obviously he would recruit well. But I think he has natural instincts that are not taught. Same reason MJ or Bird were not good hoop coaches. But maybe just teaching them his study habits, footwork, and leadership skills would translate. I would support a move like this

Advertisement
Why is it so obvious that he'd recruit well? Do you guys know him? Do you know if he's a gregarious guy who wants to bust *** 80 hours per week sucking up to 17 year olds and their crazy parents?

Now that we have a former player as HC I get the chance to realize my dream of an entire staff of only former players. Looks like Kehoe might have been retained, so we are 2 for 2 so far. Which former player is a realistic and competent DC option?

Why is it so obvious that he'd recruit well? Do you guys know him? Do you know if he's a gregarious guy who wants to bust *** 80 hours per week sucking up to 17 year olds and their crazy parents?

Now that we have a former player as HC I get the chance to realize my dream of an entire staff of only former players. Looks like Kehoe might have been retained, so we are 2 for 2 so far. Which former player is a realistic and competent DC option?

Winston Moss

A lot of his "instincts", came from film study. He spent a lot of time in the film room. That part, and what to look for in film are definitely teachable

Advertisement

Just like most former players. They need to decompress from NFL and cut their teeth coaching up their kids at the high school level. Just look at Bush at Flanagan and Surtain at AH. Mike Rumph is ready for college level. Just not at UM yet.

Just like most former players. They need to decompress from NFL and cut their teeth coaching up their kids at the high school level. Just look at Bush at Flanagan and Surtain at AH. Mike Rumph is ready for college level. Just not at UM yet.

Reed was a much better player than Rumph. Therefore, he doesn't need coaching experience.

Advertisement
I don't quite get the constant thought of former players alway being brought up for coaching gigs here

Keep in mind the typical poster lives with his mom and has a learning disability and likely a touch of Aspergers.

Our fanbase, at least the ones on here, have to be some of the biggest losers and dumb****s on the planet.

I don't like to insult people, but most of the posters on here couldn't outthink a puddle of congealed vomit.

Ed already coached us to a NC; it certainly was not Larry. Ed was certainly the classic coach on the field type. Depending on the DC, he might fit. Ed is gambler and worked to deceive QBs into throwing the ball some place they thought he would not be. If Mark hire a "read and react, assignment above all DC like you know who, then Ed has no place in it. If Mark is serious about bringing back out old style defense they Ed certainly could make and impact.

Notwithstanding FIU and FAU, the lack of smaller college programs is something that is sorely lacking in soFla with regards to having
a training ground for former players who want to get into coaching.
This is something that is not lacking at states like Ohio and Pennsylvannia.
So these guys need to cut their teeth elsewhere, outside the comfort zones of soFla.

UM is NOT the place to come in as a first time coach.

A guy like Reed though, can probably land a gig on an NFL staff as he has played for
so many coaches in the NFL.

Let him learn his craft on that level.

There's a difference between hiring any former player and hiring arguably the greatest safety of all time. Reed is a special case that deserves to be looked at more closely. His study of the game is legendary and the only question is whether or not he can teach concepts to college kids. He was very well regarded in brief stints with NYJ and Houston and as a players coach. He was very active to mentoring and teaching young guys. I think he should at least get an oppty to interview.

Advertisement
Back