Ed. Reed for secondary coach?

Im not understanding the hostility towards the idea...

Ed Reed said that he wanted to get into coaching. I do not care at what position as a GA or DB coach or water boy.... If Ed wants to be on staff you find a way to bring him around the team..

That does not make someone irrational for thinking he should be here... he said it himself. Now if he didnt mention wanting to coach then of course its idiotic.. but thats just not the case.

Why does him mentioning he would like to coach mean that UM automatically has to hire him without any experience? If that's all it took, then our entire staff could be composed of guys who said they'd like to coach here.

I think Joaquin Gonzalez said he'd like to coach at UM too. Should we hire him too, or is the determining factor for hiring coaches with no experience skill displayed on the NFL gridiron?

No UM doesnt have to automatically hire him..

I do not understand the hate towards the idea... Did Kareem Brown have the experience your speaking of to be all over our sidelines like he was the head corch last year??? Whats the requirements? Should he hit a couple 7v7 circuits? Maybe a couple seasons at Booker T?

I think Kareem Brown being thrusted into full-time assistant was somewhat of an anomaly because of coaches bolting from a losing program
with a coach on the hot seat.
A guy like him normally gets some seasoning at a smaller program before bringing him onboard a program of UM's level.
Having said this, you can't compare Brown's situation with that of Reed because the former is trying to make a living out of coaching
whereas the latter probably doesn't have to work a day in his remaining life.
Coaching at a big-time college football program is a grind.
Worse than even the NFL.
I just read an article the other day where the DC at Louisville Todd Grantham said that he once started counting the hours
he was putting in during the season and he claimed it was at least 100 hours.
Does someone like Reed want to do this when he can work for the Ravens for the rest of his life doing puff PR stuff where
it won't interrupt family and other fun stuff?
He needs to find out.
I would prefer he tries it somewhere else before he comes to the UM unless, of course, he wants to be a grad asst.

Grad assistant.. See.. what's so bad about this scenario? I think it'd work.

He said it himself.. He wants to coach. He said it more than once.. Actually mentioned it while playing for the Ravens years ago that he wanted to coach football after he was done playing.. It not a random thought in an interview.. It has been his plan for years to coach.

What's the ******* problem.

Advertisement
I told someone yesterday Richt was our first player coach. LOL. I have forgotten the Shannon years.

Ed reed has been taught by nfl head coaches throughout his long career you mean to tell mr he cant teach. A hall of famer cant teach better than lets saya t rob muabhahhhah gtfo !!!# sign him no kid would turn him down on the recruting trail too

I know of a coach who played for Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Tommy Turbeville, Wannstedt and later coached for those guys plus Sonny Lubick and
Greg McMackin. He was also on an NFL roster for 2 years and coached at that level for 3 years.

How did he fare as our HC?

Ed Reed as DB coach, not Randy Shannon's tenure as HC...try to keep up buddy.

Ed Reed said that he wanted to get into coaching. I do not care at what position as a GA or DB coach or water boy.... If Ed wants to be on staff you find a way to bring him around the team..

That does not make someone irrational for thinking he should be here... he said it himself. Now if he didnt mention wanting to coach then of course its idiotic.. but thats just not the case.

Why does him mentioning he would like to coach mean that UM automatically has to hire him without any experience? If that's all it took, then our entire staff could be composed of guys who said they'd like to coach here.

I think Joaquin Gonzalez said he'd like to coach at UM too. Should we hire him too, or is the determining factor for hiring coaches with no experience skill displayed on the NFL gridiron?

I do not understand the hate towards the idea... Did Kareem Brown have the experience your speaking of to be all over our sidelines like he was the head corch last year??? Whats the requirements? Should he hit a couple 7v7 circuits? Maybe a couple seasons at Booker T?

I think Kareem Brown being thrusted into full-time assistant was somewhat of an anomaly because of coaches bolting from a losing program
with a coach on the hot seat.
A guy like him normally gets some seasoning at a smaller program before bringing him onboard a program of UM's level.
Having said this, you can't compare Brown's situation with that of Reed because the former is trying to make a living out of coaching
whereas the latter probably doesn't have to work a day in his remaining life.
Coaching at a big-time college football program is a grind.
Worse than even the NFL.
I just read an article the other day where the DC at Louisville Todd Grantham said that he once started counting the hours
he was putting in during the season and he claimed it was at least 100 hours.
Does someone like Reed want to do this when he can work for the Ravens for the rest of his life doing puff PR stuff where
it won't interrupt family and other fun stuff?
He needs to find out.
I would prefer he tries it somewhere else before he comes to the UM unless, of course, he wants to be a grad asst.

Grad assistant.. See.. what's so bad about this scenario? I think it'd work.

He said it himself.. He wants to coach. He said it more than once.. Actually mentioned it while playing for the Ravens years ago that he wanted to coach football after he was done playing.. It not a random thought in an interview.. It has been his plan for years to coach.

What's the ****ing problem.

Not a problem with me.
Grad Asst is a good way to start.
I still NFL is a better avenue because there no limits to how big a staff can be and someone like
Reed has good connections by virtue of having played for so many coaches.
I think the problem some folks have are the posts where people want former Cane greats on
the full-time staff, as if they are ready to do a strong job teaching and recruiting just because
they were great NFL players.
I'm not sure if that is what the OP meant, and apologies if he didn't.

Ed reed has been taught by nfl head coaches throughout his long career you mean to tell mr he cant teach. A hall of famer cant teach better than lets saya t rob muabhahhhah gtfo !!!# sign him no kid would turn him down on the recruting trail too

I know of a coach who played for Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Tommy Turbeville, Wannstedt and later coached for those guys plus Sonny Lubick and
Greg McMackin. He was also on an NFL roster for 2 years and coached at that level for 3 years.

How did he fare as our HC?

Ed Reed as DB coach, not Randy Shannon's tenure as HC...try to keep up buddy.

Full-time DB coach?
As in, right now?
You need to follow college football, buddy.

Advertisement
Same mentality over and over again from the local yokels.

"Oh man in Dade all u gotta do is recruit the best players, get em hyped, and tell em to ball out! That must be how coaching football works!"

So they apply that to the collegiate level, thinking all you need is to collect talent, "swag" them out, and let them play street ball.

I used to get so incredibly frustrated and angry, but I realize now it's just a bunch of uneducated folks who only know what they have experienced, and who lack the ability to understand that Dade county HS football and college football are not the same thing.

Last edited:
Same mentality over and over again from the local yokels.

"Oh man in Dad all u gotta do is recruit the best players, get em hyped, and tell em to ball out! That must be how coaching football works!"

So they apply that to the collegiate level, thinking all you need is to collect talent, "swag" them out, and let them play street ball.

I used to get so incredibly frustrated and angry, but I realize now it's just a bunch of uneducated folks who only know what they have experienced, and who lack the ability to understand that Dade county HS football and college football are not the same thing.

Extremely uneducated to think Ed Reed could teach a collegiate athlete proper reads and proper technique as a graduate assistant. OK. You give those guys way too much credit.. We've had Paul ******* Williams as our DB coach the past 5 years... give me a break. The guy wants a career in coaching. This isnt some nostalgic mental *********ion of Sapp for DLine! Ray Lewis for DC! Mike Irvin for WR! No... This is Ed Reed talking.. not our delusional fan base making **** up.

Take Barrow for example

As coach:
Homestead High School (2006)
(Asst. Head Coach/Def. Coordinator)
Miami Hurricanes (2007-2013)
(LB/ST Coach)
Seattle Seahawks (2015-present)
(LB Coach)

Last edited:
Lol at this moron turning it into a race issue. Yeah, totally people are hesitant to want Ed Reed to coach our DB because he's black. That must be it.

Advertisement

"Street ball"? How did Al Golden fare playing that scaredy cat,soft, coochie, suburban ball?

Do you think Jimmy Johnson just told the kids "ok boys just go out and sack em!"

You are completely clueless and naive about what goes into coaching football at a high level. Have you played the game in college? Have you read a college playbook?

I love Ed, but no more hiring inexperienced coaches, HS coaches, etc. Frenk decided to open the faucet and start spending on football again. Let's get proven college coaches (with experience teaching and recruiting at big time schools) and not guess whether a guy is a coach or corch.

Again, I LOVE Ed !!!!

"Street ball"? How did Al Golden fare playing that scaredy cat,soft, coochie, suburban ball?

Do you think Jimmy Johnson just told the kids "ok boys just go out and sack em!"

He did it with Danny Stubbs.
But answer my question...how did AG fare playing that scaredy cat,soft,coochie *** brand of football?

Advertisement

But answer my question...how did AG fare playing that scaredy cat,soft,coochie *** brand of football?

What does Al Golden and scardey cat football have to do with actually coaching/schemes???

Nick Saban's playbook for defense is over 300 pages. Is that scardey cat football? Do you realize how dumb you sound?

I love Ed, but no more hiring inexperienced coaches, HS coaches, etc. Frenk decided to open the faucet and start spending on football again. Let's get proven college coaches (with experience teaching and recruiting at big time schools) and not guess whether a guy is a coach or corch.

Again, I LOVE Ed !!!!

Graduate assistants are working for free.

Advertisement

What does Al Golden and scardey cat football have to do with actually coaching/schemes???

Nick Saban's playbook for defense is over 300 pages. Is that scardey cat football? Do you realize how dumb you sound?

***** I care about a Saban playbook? Can a playbook tell you how the game feels like an Ed Reed? I might sound dumb, but you sound like a phuckin' nerd who's never played the game. "Street ball".."Saban's playbook"...LMFAO! FOHWTS!

My hate for the idea stems from my hate of the long unstoried line of amateur coaches we've had here over the past ten years. I'm done with loading the staff with amateurs and would prefer we get some teachers in here who have been in the coaching game for awhile.

I hate bad coaching because we've had our fill of it over a long stretch. Maybe Reed is the next Knute Rockne, but if he's serious about becoming a football coach, then he should start his career like every other coach does. Serious football coaches don't send out a tweet saying they want to start their career coaching at a marquee P5 program.

Can I get a show of hands of the guys who are minorities that thinks Ed Reed is not capable of being a very effective DB coach for the Canes? I just find it interesting that his intelligence as a player is constantly being question here or in some cases totally dismissed as to suggest he is not an intelligent person. The ignorance is at an all time high, but is it ignorance or is it hate/ing?

Any clown who thinks Ed Reed only played with good instincts should stop shut the **** up! It shows how ignorant some of you are!

Film study ladies and gentleman film study! Ed Reed studied film like no other at his position!

Anyone on here that is constantly questioning the football acumen or the intelligence of minority coaches and players wants to question that???

These are the clowns that comstantly try to dismiss or shoot down any mentions of minority players being quality coaches! I say make it an even playing field and see what happens! Go Canes!

You do realize that the majority of people here wanted T-Rob for that job.
I think people object too...at least me...to the idea that great player automatically = great coach.
IT IS TWO COMPLETLY DIFFERENT SKILL SETS.
YOU HAVE TOO BE GOOD AT COMPLETLY DIFFERENT THINGS.
YOU HAVE TOO BE COMMITTED TO AN INSANE GRIND THATS TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND DOESNT OFFER THE SAME REWARD AS THE GRIND AS A PLAYER.
Does this mean E.Reed (my all time favorite player ) won't be good at it...no it doesn't.
But it sure does mean you don't make him DB coach of a P5 team as his first coaching job.
Just as you don't make Payton Manning OC the second he retires.
I recommend you look up Magic Johnsons comments following his short tenure as coach of the Lakers to get some perspective on why great player does not automatically = great coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back