Ed Orgeron to be LSU head coach.

Houston doesn't even have a fan base. It's less popular than Rice in Texas. Their stadium was built in 2014 and holds 40k and the year it was built right before Herman they couldn't even get it half full.

LMFAO at Rice being more popular than UH. Remember, Houston had a run in the eighties and early nineties(Miami actually ended them in 91), Houston has seen recent success under Briles and Sumlin, so it's not like they weren't decent before Herman got there.

Rice has much more money than Houston and they had the same fan base as Houston until they got Herman.

This post started talking about "Texas money" and that's where I threw Rice into this conversation. They may be the richest school in Texas right with UTa and A&M

They are rich ACADEMICALLY. NO ONE PUTS THEIR MONEY INTO THE RICE ATHLETIC PROGRAM. What you are saying is similar to someone saying "Harvard is an attractive football program, look at how much money the school has". Never mind the fact that Rice, and their booster base couldn't care less about the athletic program. David Bailiff is there because that's what they can afford. Period. Rice, even if by some act of God started winning would still be screwed, because the school itself isn't set up for athletic department success. It's a big time research university, with high academic standards, and they aren't moving those goalposts just for a couple of wins.

By the way, Houston has seen far more success over the last decade than Rice, and that was BEFORE Herman got there. Remember, Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin both won at UH, Rice has been mediocre for **** near ever. Look at what D. Bailiff has done at Rice, he's a god there, and for most of his tenure, they have struggled to be bowl eligible.

Houston has no money academically or athletically. The dude wanted Houston in the ACC for "Texas money". Never once did I say that Rice was a good football program. I'm not a dumbass. I'm saying Houston to the ACC gives us no more money than we currently have. There's no fan base, there's no way Tobacco Road people within the ACC are going to want to send money to a team in Texas every year that doesn't even boost our ratings and a team that would come in and beat all of their alma maters. You're missing the point of the argument here.

wait wait let them handle navy and Memphis first brah

Advertisement
We're too classy a group but it'd be funny if certain Miami guys in-the-know went public with the dirt they have on Orgeron and his time here just prior to our little match-up in Dallas......if he's still there. I personally don't know the details but supposedly there are very good reasons that those guys always swear that Orgeron was 1000% toxic in relation to not being able to ever come back here. And not toxic in the manner that some were still butthurt over Butch's departure to Cleveland but toxic in the manner that he did some unforgivable **** here.

From his Wikipedia page....

Starting in 1991, a series of personal problems began to surface for Orgeron: a local woman filed a restraining order against Orgeron, accusing him of repeatedly attacking her. In July 1992, Orgeron was arrested for his part in a bar fight in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Orgeron acknowledged he had been intoxicated that night and had grown angry when not allowed back inside to retrieve his credit card. In October 1992, Orgeron took a leave of absence from the University of Miami coaching staff for personal reasons; the departure turned out to be a permanent one, however, and he was replaced by assistant coach Randy Shannon.Taking a respite from coaching, Orgeron worked on his personal life: the permanent injunction against him was eventually rescinded, and the felony second-degree battery charges he faced were dropped. He stayed with his parents in Larose, crediting his father for helping him get his life in order.

We're too classy a group but it'd be funny if certain Miami guys in-the-know went public with the dirt they have on Orgeron and his time here just prior to our little match-up in Dallas......if he's still there. I personally don't know the details but supposedly there are very good reasons that those guys always swear that Orgeron was 1000% toxic in relation to not being able to ever come back here. And not toxic in the manner that some were still butthurt over Butch's departure to Cleveland but toxic in the manner that he did some unforgivable **** here.

Starting in 1991, a series of personal problems began to surface for Orgeron: a local woman filed a restraining order against Orgeron, accusing him of repeatedly attacking her. In July 1992, Orgeron was arrested for his part in a bar fight in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Orgeron acknowledged he had been intoxicated that night and had grown angry when not allowed back inside to retrieve his credit card. In October 1992, Orgeron took a leave of absence from the University of Miami coaching staff for personal reasons; the departure turned out to be a permanent one, however, and he was replaced by assistant coach Randy Shannon.Taking a respite from coaching, Orgeron worked on his personal life: the permanent injunction against him was eventually rescinded, and the felony second-degree battery charges he faced were dropped. He stayed with his parents in Larose, crediting his father for helping him get his life in order.

Didn't realize that about Orgeron. Not a very good guy.

He is an idiot. Who lives with their parents after a long career of makinging hundreds of thousands of dollars?

This has to be a stopgap move. I'm guessing they went all in for their #1 /2 choices and when they didn't pan out, they didn't want to settle for someone this year. Hire orgeron and hope to land someone big in a year or 2

Advertisement
Depends on his contract, but I think you're mostly right.

Struck out with Jimbo and I still say part of his decision was his young kids and the divorce. Tough time for him and his family, probably a different story had this happened a year or two from now as that's some serious scratch he reportedly turned down.

I don't know how close they were to Herman, but when Texas called it was over.

While they have money, obviously, if it isn't a big name I imagine they just said to Heck with it. The buyout was huge and they can save some money with Ed. Ed, it isn't like he's some **** coach either, he's just not the huge name that they didn't land in the other two. I wish him well and like that he's getting another shot after I thought he should've gotten one at USC after they basically struck out somewhat like LSU.

He is an idiot. Who lives with their parents after a long career of makinging hundreds of thousands of dollars?

In 1993, he didn't have a long career of making hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'd be surprised if he made over 100K per season any season at Miami (1988-1992).

Didn't realize that about Orgeron. Not a very good guy.

Coach O had his problems back in those days, likely related to his alcohol abuse. He doesn't making excuses either. The events above were over twenty years ago.

There may be other stories, but we're unlikely to hear them unless knowledgeable sources post them.

Herman is the most adored head coach to lose to Navy, SMU and Memphis in the same year.

He's still far better than Orgeron though.

This would be valid except Houston has won double digit games 4 times in the last 20 years, and he's responsible for 1 of those 4 times. Point is? It's houston.

Advertisement
Was not hiring Jimbo a money thing? I heard he wanted a 10 year deal and they said no.

Now LSU is saying THEY turned down Herman when he asked for $6.5 mil per year. Surrrrre they did. Funny how we were always told that money ain't never an issue in the mighty $EC but it's seemingly why LSU had to keep Lester another year, couldn't afford Jimbo and *supposedly turned down Herman. Almost as funny as a "marquee" SEC program having to settle for Miles' line coach as their head coach and now praying for an OC hire to save them.

Bottom line- we've been force fed the narrative about mighty SEC superiority in everything for so long that some people actually believed it to be true. There was ALWAYS just as much money to be spent in Texas and in the Big Ten but for some reason people started to believe that hilljack or cajan fanaticism somehow elevated that conference. ALL their underwhelming conference wide post-Saban hires prove that wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me if LSU balked at $6.5. He's getting $5 million a year from Texas.

Now LSU is saying THEY turned down Herman when he asked for $6.5 mil per year. Surrrrre they did. Funny how we were always told that money ain't never an issue in the mighty $EC but it's seemingly why LSU had to keep Lester another year, couldn't afford Jimbo and *supposedly turned down Herman. Almost as funny as a "marquee" SEC program having to settle for Miles' line coach as their head coach and now praying for an OC hire to save them.

Bottom line- we've been force fed the narrative about mighty SEC superiority in everything for so long that some people actually believed it to be true. There was ALWAYS just as much money to be spent in Texas and in the Big Ten but for some reason people started to believe that hilljack or cajan fanaticism somehow elevated that conference. ALL their underwhelming conference wide post-Saban hires prove that wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me if LSU balked at $6.5. He's getting $5 million a year from Texas.

That's reality based logic though. We've always been told if the mighty SEC wants a guy then they'll get the guy and that their diehard fanbase and boosters make money irrelevant.

Advertisement
LOL. Next time the clowns come out talking about how programs like LSU and UF can hire whoever they want just remember this hire. They pulled a UM hiring a staff member from the fired coach's staff.

It's a different climate. Great P5 coaches are staying put. They're not jumping to other supposedly higher profile gigs because they're already making a ton of money and are comfortable wherever they are.
👀

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back