Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Personally I don't think this style of football is right for Miami. I do think we will miss Lashlee by seasons end. He is a good coach which is why he got a head coaching job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have to see us against a P5 defense. Southern Miss was solid defensive team last year but that was against teams nowhere near Miami caliber. The thing that worries me is the passing game looks as stilted and clunky now as it did in the spring game. TVD definitely doesn’t work as fast in this system. So much of the passing game looks like plays are designed to go to one player and if he’s covered, there’s a panic on where to go with the ball. There’s no fluidity and half the receivers seem like they’re just decoys and are just trying to run DBs away from the guy the play is designed for.

On the positive note, the run game looks significantly better. Better run blocking and much better running back play. Parrish and Franklin don’t just run into the back of their linemen and show patience and vision finding holes, especially in short yardage.

I’d still prefer a more spread system where we use the entire width of the field and create as much space as possible. We have a quarterback with the arm to make those wide throws. Too many of our formations are bunched. I don’t like playing in a phone booth. There’s so little margin for error, you need everyone to execute perfectly for a play to work.

Advertisement
If TVD is TVD, he throws over 300 yards and a couple TDs and he’s sitting the 4th.

The last two weeks have been vanilla as chuck. It’s not that difficult to see that Gattis has not utilized his TEs like he does nor big plays for X and co. I like B, Smith getting reps. He’s a matchup problem. Canes will be fine. They are the best team in the coastal and it isn’t close if Slovis misses games.

I don’t think Steele has blitzed at all the first two games. Defense looks like it’s playing NFL pro bowl rules. Ivey is suspect, we all know that. But JWill, Kam, and Wes look like stars. DT play has been great and we don’t give up anything on the ground.

Let’s see how A&M goes. Both sides of the ball just seem two generic to be our true selves.

Advertisement
You remember when Lashlees’s offense put up 31 vs UAB and 25 against App state?

But it looked fancier though 😒
Both those teams are way better than southern miss though. UAB beat them 34-0 last year.

Advertisement
Back