Early signing period officially passes

Advertisement
So if a kids signs early, he hen cannot change his mind and sign some where else later? And I am assuming the school cannot drop the player either?

Early signing might have just KILLED (or hurt) the bag game.. Teams will pressure kids (with high potential) to sign early before recruiting websites begin to hype these recruit up and schools with elite bagmen have enough time to make a decision on who they will throw money to.

Miami and Florida State will overthrow Alabama VERY, VERY soon. Why? Because in a way your kinda reverting back to the recruiting days of the 90s (When Miami, Florida State knew who the best recruits in Florida was before the rest of the country knew and even if they didn't get the 5 star FL talent they were still taking the REAL "diamonds in the ruff" (guys with potential 4 or 5 star ability) before schools and sites discovered them late in the recruiting process and boosted their ratings (think about it.. would we have lost guys like Valentine, Jordan Scarlet, Tyler Byrd guys who were commited to us for a long period of time leading up to signing day if we were able to sign 'em early?).. I mean... look at Miami, even under Golden, had always started out hot in recruiting until they fumble it away down the stretch heading into NSD. As far as I can remember this is the 5th or 6th year in a row we started the top 5 in recruiting.. and are usually in good shape by December (when the early signing will happen) -- Note: I didn't say Florida because Florida State takes the upper half and we take the lower half of FL. (good thing is the lower half has the best recruits and top HS programs (STA, IMG, Booker T, NW, Central etc).. Florida get sloppy 3rds.

hopefully with this.. we won't have to waste to much of our time on the Devonta Smiths of the world who were just playing so much games..

Also, We don't have to waste time and resources on recruiting guys who is already signed here and focus on guys who are somewhat acting flakey.

It's a good thing we didn't land Valentine or Scarlett. Scarlett sucks and Valentine is a dumbass. Jury is out on Byrd. Kid is 21 already and still hasn't mad impact in college.

How about the recruit at camps and clinics. Does that mean every coach will be heading to the opening to hound the kids there? lol.

No. Under the old rules, coaches weren't allowed to recruit at their OWN camps and clinics. It was a stupid rule because everyone knows coaches were recruiting at their own camps and clinics. The new rule just explicitly allows it to happen.

Coaches still aren't allowed to attend camps and clinics put on by third parties.

Advertisement
Early signing might have just KILLED (or hurt) the bag game.. Teams will pressure kids (with high potential) to sign early before recruiting websites begin to hype these recruit up and schools with elite bagmen have enough time to make a decision on who they will throw money to.

Miami and Florida State will overthrow Alabama VERY, VERY soon. Why? Because in a way your kinda reverting back to the recruiting days of the 90s (When Miami, Florida State knew who the best recruits in Florida was before the rest of the country knew and even if they didn't get the 5 star FL talent they were still taking the REAL "diamonds in the ruff" (guys with potential 4 or 5 star ability) before schools and sites discovered them late in the recruiting process and boosted their ratings (think about it.. would we have lost guys like Valentine, Jordan Scarlet, Tyler Byrd guys who were commited to us for a long period of time leading up to signing day if we were able to sign 'em early?).. I mean... look at Miami, even under Golden, had always started out hot in recruiting until they fumble it away down the stretch heading into NSD. As far as I can remember this is the 5th or 6th year in a row we started the top 5 in recruiting.. and are usually in good shape by December (when the early signing will happen) -- Note: I didn't say Florida because Florida State takes the upper half and we take the lower half of FL. (good thing is the lower half has the best recruits and top HS programs (STA, IMG, Booker T, NW, Central etc).. Florida get sloppy 3rds.

hopefully with this.. we won't have to waste to much of our time on the Devonta Smiths of the world who were just playing so much games..

Also, We don't have to waste time and resources on recruiting guys who is already signed here. so we can go after bigger fish.

John calipers Kentucky basketball and mark Emmett laughs at your statement!!!

Well they could be.. but this is basketball you're talking about. Basketball recruiting is NOTHING like football. Unlike in basketball the top 10 recruits in football.. ****, top 30 recruit are constantly changing because of the senior season, reviewing tape, team camps, recruiting site camps, state camps.. ****, I'm sure we've all seen player star rating changed just because he commited to Ohio State or Alabama... there are so many moving parts in CFB recruiting.. That is why sites like 247sport, rivals, CIS exist to keep up with all the madness... no one follows basketball recruiting because nothing changes.. most would rather watch snails race... Lonnie Walker been a top 20 recruit for like 1 1/2 years now.. player rarely move up or down the recruiting board in basketball recruiting so it easy to know who to drop bags for.. ie: If Andrew Wiggins is rated the #1 recruit as a HS Jr.. chances are he will fall no further then #3 by his Sr even with an injury.. but in football.. a guy like Latavious Brini who gain all this interest from Miami then in a blink of an eye seem to be headed to USF then FIU only to regain interest and end up at Georgia.. the guy went from Miami to USF to FIU to Georgia all in 1 cycle.. u don't get that in basketball. So Alabama could be throwing bags at players they could later lose interest in.. we could sign someone we later don't really want but at least we're not paying cash and cars for it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So will the early signing period be a go for this recruiting class?

yup starts with this class

No way it starts with this cycle....u sure about this?

NCAA approves IAWP rule, comprehensive recruiting changes - FootballScoop

-It changes the recruiting calendar to allow for an early signing period in December (effective Aug. 1). Only the Collegiate Commissioners Association can create new National Letter of Intent signing periods.

-It adds a period for official visits that begins April 1 of the junior year and ends the Sunday before the last Wednesday in June of that year. Official visits can’t occur in conjunction with a prospect’s participation in a school’s camp or clinic (effective Aug. 1).

Sounds like it is effective Aug 1st as long as the CCA approves the new rule when they meet in June. It also looks like the current sophomore class will be the first group that can utilize Spring/Summer official visits.

Last edited:

Also, We don't have to waste time and resources on recruiting guys who is already signed here. so we can go after bigger fish.

Nothing will ever kill the bag game but your point is still an excellent one. The less time these kids are open game the better for the schools that are located in the recruiting hotbeds (like us) and the ones that don't rely on cars and duffles (like us). The leverage has just been handed back to the schools that don't rely on post bowl season shenanigans masked as "closing".

Money always finds a way.

Exactly. Just instead of bags on Feb. 1 they get delivered as an early Xmas present in December. The kids that would normally get bags will still get bags.

true.

it won't eliminate the bag men. BUT, it will help Miami because it makes it harder for those guys.

beyond that, however, UM has a definite advantage of having the most proximate contact with the South Florida kids. VERY hard for out of state schools to maintain that contact during the heart of the season, the same way UM can. If the OOS schools are losing 2 months of open time (after the regular season concludes), that's a big problem for them.

This works out great for programs in hotbed areas. It's easier to identify, contact and offer kids locally than scouting players in other states. Schools will be able to lock down local kids before the out of towners can get involved. It's also good for schools that identify their own talent rather than just rely on flipping guys committed to other schools on signing day (ahem...fluriduh).

It's also great for kids who make up their mind early and don't want to deal with the consistent harrassment from other schools trying to flip them.

Advertisement

John calipers Kentucky basketball and mark Emmett laughs at your statement!!!

Well they could be.. but this is basketball you're talking about. Basketball recruiting is NOTHING like football. Unlike in basketball the top 10 recruits in football.. ****, top 30 recruit are constantly changing because of the senior season, reviewing tape, team camps, recruiting site camps, state camps.. ****, I'm sure we've all seen player star rating changed just because he commited to Ohio State or Alabama... there are so many moving parts in CFB recruiting.. That is why sites like 247sport, rivals, CIS exist to keep up with all the madness... no one follows basketball recruiting because nothing changes.. most would rather watch snails race... Lonnie Walker been a top 20 recruit for like 1 1/2 years now.. player rarely move up or down the recruiting board in basketball recruiting so it easy to know who to drop bags for.. ie: If Andrew Wiggins is rated the #1 recruit as a HS Jr.. chances are he will fall no further then #3 by his Sr even with an injury.. but in football.. a guy like Latavious Brini who gain all this interest from Miami then in a blink of an eye seem to be headed to USF then FIU only to regain interest and end up at Georgia.. the guy went from Miami to USF to FIU to Georgia all in 1 cycle.. u don't get that in basketball. So Alabama could be throwing bags at players they could later lose interest in.. we could sign someone we later don't really want but at least we're not paying cash and cars for it.

Not my words. I'd never reference $EC basketball.

I want to know if this hurts or helps by someone in the know
If Richt for it I'm for it. He is in the know, don't you think?

“At this point I believe an early signing period, I’d like to see what would happen instead of wondering what would happen,” Richt said.

In October the NCAA Division I Council recommended a proposal that would add signing periods in June and December to go along with the only current signing period that begins the first Wednesday in February every year.

“So I’m for it right now, okay, which is different than what I said in the past, and I would seriously consider to have one in the summer time along with one near the junior college signing date along with the normal time,” Richt said.

“I think to live through it and know if we’re blowing everything up and it’s a mistake, be ready to go back if it’s possible, but I think it’s to the point now I’d like to see how well it may work because there’s so many guys that get confused at the end, they flip here, they flip there, it’s happening all over the nation.”

Here is the link: Miami coach Mark Richt talks about recruiting South Florida early signing day and more

Advertisement
I think this is a win for us going forward, how can we lose from this?

One thing I can see it doing is making the cheaters do a LOT more risky business to get recruits early. I think Miami is one school that just naturally benefits from this. All that talent in our back yard that other schools will have less time to try and pry away. Mark my word, they will start taking bigger risks to get kids out of SFLA.

It can't hurt. Don't know how much it really helps though. i think bags get dropped no matter when signing day happens. Would have rather had early signing day in July, which might have made dropping bags more of a gamble.

I don't think it helps too much to be honest. if anything helps north programs like michigan with these new camps and clinics

it hurts the recruits who legitimately need more time to make decisions

it helps teams who start off strong... like for us for example, if we sign all these guys we have now early... then the staff could close very strong on the premise that people were joining an excellent class, now it's all heresay who we will keep

It can't hurt. Don't know how much it really helps though. i think bags get dropped no matter when signing day happens. Would have rather had early signing day in July, which might have made dropping bags more of a gamble.

I don't think it helps too much to be honest. if anything helps north programs like michigan with these new camps and clinics

it hurts the recruits who legitimately need more time to make decisions

it helps teams who start off strong... like for us for example, if we sign all these guys we have now early... then the staff could close very strong on the premise that people were joining an excellent class, now it's all heresay who we will keep
How so? The recruits who legitimately need more time to make decisions can wait until Feb. as has been the case. No one is forcing them to sign early. If they are elite then the colleges will wait for them. It makes the life of many recruits so much easier focussing on class and graduation plus getting ready for the next phase of their athletic career.

I really don't think it makes much of a difference, certainly not in the long run anyway

Advertisement
Back