Early signing period officially passes

Early signing might have just KILLED (or hurt) the bag game.. Teams will pressure kids (with high potential) to sign early before recruiting websites begin to hype these recruit up and schools with elite bagmen have enough time to make a decision on who they will throw money to.

Miami and Florida State will overthrow Alabama VERY, VERY soon. Why? Because in a way your kinda reverting back to the recruiting days of the 90s (When Miami, Florida State knew who the best recruits in Florida was before the rest of the country knew and even if they didn't get the 5 star FL talent they were still taking the REAL "diamonds in the ruff" (guys with potential 4 or 5 star ability) before schools and sites discovered them late in the recruiting process and boosted their ratings (think about it.. would we have lost guys like Valentine, Jordan Scarlet, Tyler Byrd guys who were commited to us for a long period of time leading up to signing day if we were able to sign 'em early?).. I mean... look at Miami, even under Golden, had always started out hot in recruiting until they fumble it away down the stretch heading into NSD. As far as I can remember this is the 5th or 6th year in a row we started the top 5 in recruiting.. and are usually in good shape by December (when the early signing will happen) -- Note: I didn't say Florida because Florida State takes the upper half and we take the lower half of FL. (good thing is the lower half has the best recruits and top HS programs (STA, IMG, Booker T, NW, Central etc).. Florida get sloppy 3rds.

hopefully with this.. we won't have to waste to much of our time on the Devonta Smiths of the world who were just playing so much games..

Also, We don't have to waste time and resources on recruiting guys who is already signed here and focus on guys who are somewhat acting flakey.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Early signing might have just KILLED (or hurt) the bag game.. Teams will pressure kids (with high potential) to sign early before recruiting websites begin to hype these recruit up and schools with elite bagmen have enough time to make a decision on who they will throw money to.

Miami and Florida State will overthrow Alabama VERY, VERY soon. Why? Because in a way your kinda reverting back to the recruiting days of the 90s (When Miami, Florida State knew who the best recruits in Florida was before the rest of the country knew and even if they didn't get the 5 star FL talent they were still taking the REAL "diamonds in the ruff" (guys with potential 4 or 5 star ability) before schools and sites discovered them late in the recruiting process and boosted their ratings (think about it.. would we have lost guys like Valentine, Jordan Scarlet, Tyler Byrd guys who were commited to us for a long period of time leading up to signing day if we were able to sign 'em early?).. I mean... look at Miami, even under Golden, had always started out hot in recruiting until they fumble it away down the stretch heading into NSD. As far as I can remember this is the 5th or 6th year in a row we started the top 5 in recruiting.. and are usually in good shape by December (when the early signing will happen) -- Note: I didn't say Florida because Florida State takes the upper half and we take the lower half of FL. (good thing is the lower half has the best recruits and top HS programs (STA, IMG, Booker T, NW, Central etc).. Florida get sloppy 3rds.

hopefully with this.. we won't have to waste to much of our time on the Devonta Smiths of the world who were just playing so much games..

Also, We don't have to waste time and resources on recruiting guys who is already signed here. so we can go after bigger fish.

Nothing will ever kill the bag game but your point is still an excellent one. The less time these kids are open game the better for the schools that are located in the recruiting hotbeds (like us) and the ones that don't rely on cars and duffles (like us). The leverage has just been handed back to the schools that don't rely on post bowl season shenanigans masked as "closing".

Also, We don't have to waste time and resources on recruiting guys who is already signed here. so we can go after bigger fish.

Nothing will ever kill the bag game but your point is still an excellent one. The less time these kids are open game the better for the schools that are located in the recruiting hotbeds (like us) and the ones that don't rely on cars and duffles (like us). The leverage has just been handed back to the schools that don't rely on post bowl season shenanigans masked as "closing".

Money always finds a way.

Exactly. Just instead of bags on Feb. 1 they get delivered as an early Xmas present in December. The kids that would normally get bags will still get bags.

Advertisement

Exactly. Just instead of bags on Feb. 1 they get delivered as an early Xmas present in December. The kids that would normally get bags will still get bags.

Yeah, what family wouldn't want extra cash a few days before Christmas.....Santa Saban is coming to town.

Advertisement

John calipers Kentucky basketball and mark Emmett laughs at your statement!!!

Yes.. Money talks.. but think about the way Alabama recruits.. By December they have like 6 recruits by Feb they have 21 recruits and the #1 class.. Doing that will be harder (especially if ES (early signing) become more of an option to recruit like being a EE) because you have to build your relationship early.. based on what Alabama does **** near every recruiting season.. they just wait for the season is over, site to update their ratings, then throw money and cars at every 'under the radar' top prospect late in the process and get them.. Early signing basically just made scouting so much more important because a lot of these recruit get boost into 4 and 5 stars by December and January (and after their senior years) as NSD get closer and closer... I pointed out FSU and Miami because both of us are usually ALWAYS after to season in the top 5 in recruiting because we have early access to FL's hotbed. what I'm basically saying is recruiting in a way became regional again with this rule because local teams will basically have first dibs at the under the radar top talents (a '3' stars - like a Garvin etc.. who should actually be 4 stars) just because they are just in their backyard and closer to our campus and can (basically push them to sign early - by December a recruit might not know if he can do offers better then Miami, Texas, or FSU etc)... Tyler Byrd is the easiest simple.. mid 3 star **** near the entire recruiting process then in the last month or 2 he becomes a 4 star and Tenn steals him extremely late - when in reality had this rule exist Tyler Byrd would of probably had already been signed to Miami because at that point there was not high interest in him) Schools like Miami, Florida State, USC, Texas, Penn State etc.. these schools will have first dibs on under the radar 3/4 stars in their state to fill most of their recruiting class with .. (instead of sure fire jag) now more then ever before other schools and sites can pursuit/hype them up to other big school who have elite bagman because by then that Kid might have either signed or made up his mind to sign.

Last edited:
Division I football players will no longer have multiple contact practices a day in the preseason, the Division I Council decided at its April 13-14 meeting in Indianapolis

Advertisement
I like the fact that this allows us more breathing room after December, to go after kids that are still on the fence and not worry about visiting kids super late in the process who are considered a lock, like DJ Johnson last year.

We probably would have ended singin BJ Henderson and Whoopie McFartland or would have moved on quicker and not end up scrambling late in the process. Although not signing those two kids were probably a blessing in disguise considering the class we're signing in 18.

Advertisement
Bags will never disappear. But what's great is we can press our commits to sign early and find out who is truly on board. If they decide not to, then there is still time for back up plans. No more getting screwed by so called commits at the last hour.

I want to know if this hurts or helps by someone in the know

It can't hurt. Don't know how much it really helps though. i think bags get dropped no matter when signing day happens. Would have rather had early signing day in July, which might have made dropping bags more of a gamble.

I don't see how this could hurt us. Historically speaking, we have lost more kids late than we reel in. But that was also with a lineage of incompetent stooges running our beloved program, so I don't even know if it will be a concern anymore with Pastor Richt in town.

Advertisement
Back