Dwayne Haskins Killed in South Florida

I don't know the answer to this, but how long does K stay in your system for? Is this like weed where someone will smoke on tuesday and if they get tested on Thursday they can get charged with a DUI?

From what I could find online, it is detectable via blood and saliva for 24 hours, detectable in urine for almost 2 weeks, and detectable in fair for about 3-4 months. But from what I read, the effects last for closer to 1-2 hours, though it stays in your system for more like 4-5 hours, and some people experience symptoms (e.g., impaired judgment, senses, and reduced coordination) for up to 24 hours. I'd guess the ME utilized a blood sample, if that's right and the numbers I found are legit, it's plausible he may have still been experiencing symptoms when the truck struck him.

Advertisement
From what I could find online, it is detectable via blood and saliva for 24 hours, detectable in urine for almost 2 weeks, and detectable in fair for about 3-4 months. But from what I read, the effects last for closer to 1-2 hours, though it stays in your system for more like 4-5 hours, and some people experience symptoms (e.g., impaired judgment, senses, and reduced coordination) for up to 24 hours. I'd guess the ME utilized a blood sample, if that's right and the numbers I found are legit, it's plausible he may have still been experiencing symptoms when the truck struck him.
K was popular at Miami when I was there. I never did it myself, but I remember a lot of kids would do it before going to SOBE or when they went to raves and stuff and from what I was told, it matches up with what you say, where they sober up after an hour or 2 and need to do another dose. No one mentioned the 24 hour thing to me personally, but it makes sense. I mean even with alcohol. I am sure if you put me through a battery of tests to test my cognitive functions. You could find some sort of decline in them on me, even hours after drinking, if I haven't went to sleep yet.

The main reason I was asking is because often times you will see something like this happen and they will say "so and so was high", but then you look at the records and "they found weed in his system". So they guy may have been sober, but had smoked weed 4 days before. I actually know someone that got a DUI like that. His car allegedyl smelled like weed, so they blood tested him and he failed, but didn't smoke that day.

Either way though he was drunks so in this case he would have gotten a DUI regardless. I was just wondering. Thanks for the info. You answered my question.

K was popular at Miami when I was there. I never did it myself, but I remember a lot of kids would do it before going to SOBE or when they went to raves and stuff and from what I was told, it matches up with what you say, where they sober up after an hour or 2 and need to do another dose. No one mentioned the 24 hour thing to me personally, but it makes sense. I mean even with alcohol. I am sure if you put me through a battery of tests to test my cognitive functions. You could find some sort of decline in them on me, even hours after drinking, if I haven't went to sleep yet.

The main reason I was asking is because often times you will see something like this happen and they will say "so and so was high", but then you look at the records and "they found weed in his system". So they guy may have been sober, but had smoked weed 4 days before. I actually know someone that got a DUI like that. His car allegedyl smelled like weed, so they blood tested him and he failed, but didn't smoke that day.

Either way though he was drunks so in this case he would have gotten a DUI regardless. I was just wondering. Thanks for the info. You answered my question.

You're welcome. And without a doubt, people will use a toxicology report to drag or charge someone when the truth is they weren't impaired in the slightest. That's honestly why I looked it up. You mentioned weed, but even cocaine is still detectable in urine for a few days after use (and well after the effects have worn off).

But like you alluded to, unfortunately it looks like Haskins was about 3 times the legal limit on the alcohol alone. Young man should not have been behind the wheel. No less tragic, IMO, and a stark reminder that life is fragile and it only takes one bad decision to cut a promising life short.

You're welcome. And without a doubt, people will use a toxicology report to drag or charge someone when the truth is they weren't impaired in the slightest. That's honestly why I looked it up. You mentioned weed, but even cocaine is still detectable in urine for a few days after use (and well after the effects have worn off).

But like you alluded to, unfortunately it looks like Haskins was about 3 times the legal limit on the alcohol alone. Young man should not have been behind the wheel. No less tragic, IMO, and a stark reminder that life is fragile and it only takes one bad decision to cut a promising life short.
Yup. Coke is another one I have heard about. because its often brought up in discussions regarding work drug tests. More poor people do weed and when hit with a drug test in can be in your system for months. Where as the rich execs can do coke every weekend and never fail a drug test since they can just clean up once, they have to schedule their test at the lab.

But you make a great point that even though its out of your system in a few days. You can get hit with a dui for coke, even if you aren't high at all.

I also agree it is very sad. I am lucky, that I live in a city that is all Uber based so I have never even had to think about drunk driving(I don't even sober drive lol). But there have been plenty of times where I have thought I was pretty much sober and ended up blowing way over the legal limit in friends breathalyzers. So I can easily see why so many people drink and drive. Either way RIP to him, plenty of us have done equally as stupid things around his age.

Advertisement
Probably not in any public report, but he had someone else in the car with him. The details aren’t something I’m willing to post. Those that know, know…. He was ****ed up. No reason to ruin him for his funeral or for the family he left behind. His wife suffered enough.
What does this even mean?

At a .24 BAC it actually could've been the alcohol alone that caused him to misjudge his own speed on foot and the speed of oncoming traffic on a highway.

Dude was obviously a threat to other people on the road that morning but I'm always hesitant to throw stones basically as only a showing of our own faux moral superiority when plentyyyyy of us did a lot of really stupid and/or reckless **** in our late teens and 20s too.

Drunk and on Ketamine. Good thing he didn't kill someone else driving.

Like I said a few posts above, in all things the most obvious explanation is usually the one that ends up being correct, not always, but mostly.

It was the morning, and he was either double or triple impaired, that is, drunk or hung over, feeling the effects or after effects of ketamine, and to top it off the effects of tiredness, all leading up to impairment and poor judgment as far as estimating distance and speed.

I didn’t want to talk about his impairment earlier because I didn’t want to engage in any type of slanderous porsting, this is still a tragedy, he made a mistake in trying to run across the road, and that’s really all this is.

He was having a good time, he made a mistake, and I’m very sorry for him and his family .

At a .24 BAC it actually could've been the alcohol alone that caused him to misjudge his own speed on foot and the speed of oncoming traffic on a highway.

Dude was obviously a threat to other people on the road that morning but I'm always hesitant to throw stones basically as only a showing of our own faux moral superiority when plentyyyyy of us did a lot of really stupid and/or reckless **** in our late teens and 20s too.

I didn’t read any reports, was this actually the level, he had a 0.24?

Advertisement
In the report I saw, the woman in his car had passed out in the vehicle so ... was in no shape to talk with Haskins or see the accident.

Based upon those #’s, he wasn’t just drunk, he was slurred. It was a clear raggedy situation: unknown girl in his car (and I believe the initial report was she was slumped, too), blood alcohol more than 2x the legal limit, getting into a physical altercation w/ a relative, & got K in the system?

Just wild & sad;

Last edited:
100% correct that ME's use blood samples for toxicology reports. I can't recall urine being used and never hair because all they care about is something that was ingested close in time, and may have contributed to the death. I've unfortunately read too many autopsy reports.

Advertisement
That's what I saw from multiple reports from the Pittsburgh media. Were all emphasizing that he was 3x the legal limit.
It sounded crazy to me, until I read the online calculator(I know its not perfect), but it tells me that if I had 13 shots over a period of 4 hoursI would be at .24. Not that I ever drive drunk, since I uber everywhere, but that is nowhere near black out. and is not nearly as crazy as I first understood it to be.

Advertisement
Im Surprised GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

FYI...Ketamine is also used for pain and also is a major player now when it comes to treat patients with major depression. An absolute gamechanger and the patient outcomes have been even better than my expectations...
It is not so widespread used but is gradually getting accepted and shedding some of the bad stigma that Ketamine had in years past.
Norketamine is for chronic pain and neuropathic pain...just FYI

I don't know what kind of K is going around these days, or how much people do, etc....but the only experience I've ever had with K in my life is I watched some dude snort a nice sized line once and he legit immediately went to like 1/10 speed. I've never seen anything like it. Dude got up and walked across the room and it took him prob 5 minutes to get to the other side. It was like someone hit the slow-mo button on his life. Asked me if I wanted some and I said "**** THE FVCK NO". He thought he was moving normal speed and he dead-*** was walking slower than my grandma, each foot was going like 4 inches in front of the other in slow-motion.

There is NO WAY someone could even attempt to drive in that condition. So if he was even hitting that hours earlier, AND driving, yeah he's very lucky he didn't kill someone else. I have no idea how long that **** stays in your system but if he was .20 BAC and was even feeling the smallest effects of the K, he was gone off the planet.

Advertisement
Back