Dwayne Haskins Killed in South Florida

Just sad all around. Seemed like a good kid, despite some misguided steps he took (have heard he was a bigtime partier at OSU and would show up to practice wearing the same clothes from the night before), but he had his whole life in front of him and he didn't deserve to go out like that.

All my prayers to his family.

Advertisement
Serious question . . . I've been drunk, vomited, etc., but never to a degree where I would totally misjudge circumstances to that degree. Does alcohol + ketamine make you that slow or lack awareness to such a degree that you're a virtual zombie? I haven't followed this too closely but wasn't there a 911 caller indicating he was on the road before he got hit? IMO, it doesn't seem that he misjudged a single car, but rather he entered the intersection with perhaps multiple cars on the road which puts his judgment at near 0 on a 1-10 scale, which to me is simply unfathomable.

Serious question . . . I've been drunk, vomited, etc., but never to a degree where I would totally misjudge circumstances to that degree. Does alcohol + ketamine make you that slow or lack awareness to such a degree that you're a virtual zombie? I haven't followed this too closely but wasn't there a 911 caller indicating he was on the road before he got hit? IMO, it doesn't seem that he misjudged a single car, but rather he entered the intersection with perhaps multiple cars on the road which puts his judgment at near 0 on a 1-10 scale, which to me is simply unfathomable
.24 bac is likely blackout territory so I don't even know it the K made any kind of difference. Like a few people posted earlier, the ketamine will still show up in your system even if you took it days earlier, so we don't really know if he had ingested any substance besides alcohol that night.

A 220lb man needs to drink around 14 drinks in an hour (12 oz beer, 1.5 oz liquor, 5 oz wine) to get a bac near .24 You're pretty much on the verge of passing out.

Serious question . . . I've been drunk, vomited, etc., but never to a degree where I would totally misjudge circumstances to that degree. Does alcohol + ketamine make you that slow or lack awareness to such a degree that you're a virtual zombie? I haven't followed this too closely but wasn't there a 911 caller indicating he was on the road before he got hit? IMO, it doesn't seem that he misjudged a single car, but rather he entered the intersection with perhaps multiple cars on the road which puts his judgment at near 0 on a 1-10 scale, which to me is simply unfathomable.

I think some guys in the thread have pretty much established how much the ketamine could have impacted things, and it certainly doesn't help that he seemed to have been mixing things.

It's a tragic situation and I'm not trying to add on, but if you look at the cumulative things (both the substances and the decisions), you have a guy who chose to drive and then chose to get out of a car in an incredibly busy area. He didn't "just" get onto 595, he had been on it for several miles, so the decision to walk in that area is a major misjudgment regardless of "normal" reaction time and awareness.

In my younger days, I've had breakdowns on major Florida interstates, and I would just stay in the car and call AAA. ****, AAA even tells you if you don't feel safe to call the police or 911 for assistance.

Walking near the 95/595 interchange? TO WHERE? I don't even know where there is a gas station out there. He was catty-corner to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, most of the stuff out that way is industrial. And then he was going to WALK BACK while carrying a couple of gallons of gas?

Whether it was physical and/or mental, there was some serious impaired judgment there.

Last edited:
.24 bac is likely blackout territory so I don't even know it the K made any kind of difference. Like a few people posted earlier, the ketamine will still show up in your system even if you took it days earlier, so we don't really know if he had ingested any substance besides alcohol that night.

A 220lb man needs to drink around 14 drinks in an hour (12 oz beer, 1.5 oz liquor, 5 oz wine) to get a bac near .24 You're pretty much on the verge of passing out.
It sure is knockout territory, but consider that he drove from somewhere. He was on 595. Pulled over on the shoulder. Ran out of gas and determined he needed to get help. And was on the phone with his wife. So, his judgment wasn't entirely impaired to the point where he wasn't functioning at all. I just still can't get over crossing a major intersection and misjudging it to that degree. And wasn't this on a Saturday or Sunday morning around 6 or so? There should have been a moment or two where he had an opportunity at that time. This wasn't a weekday at 8 am. IDK, the whole thing is crazy to me.

Advertisement
It sure is knockout territory, but consider that he drove from somewhere. He was on 595. Pulled over on the shoulder. Ran out of gas and determined he needed to get help. And was on the phone with his wife. So, his judgment wasn't entirely impaired to the point where he wasn't functioning at all. I just still can't get over crossing a major intersection and misjudging it to that degree. And wasn't this on a Saturday or Sunday morning around 6 or so? There should have been a moment or two where he had an opportunity at that time. This wasn't a weekday at 8 am. IDK, the whole thing is crazy to me.
some people black out and are entirely impaired and can still drive a car and do other tasks.

I think some guys in the thread have pretty much established how much the ketamine could have impacted things, and it certainly doesn't help that he seemed to have been mixing things.

It's a tragic situation and I'm not trying to add on, but if you look at the cumulative things (both the substances and the decisions), you have a guy who chose to drive and then chose to get out of a car in an incredibly busy area. He didn't "just" get onto 595, he had been on it for several miles, so the decision to walk in that area is a major misjudgment regardless of "normal" reaction time and awareness.

In my younger days, I've had breakdowns on major Florida interstates, and I would just stay in the car and call AAA. ****, AAA even tells you if you don't feel safe to call the police or 911 for assistance.

Walking near the 95/595 interchange? TO WHERE? I don't even know where there is a gas station out there. He was catty-corner to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, most of the stuff out that way is industrial. And then he was going to WALK BACK while carrying a couple of gallons of gas?

Whether it was physical and/or mental, there was some serious impaired judgment there.
He would have had to walk a couple miles to the next off ramp and then another mile or so to the closest gas station. If you ever break down on 595, don't get out and walk. There's full time road rangers that can help. Most of them carry enough gasoline to get you to a station.

Advertisement

Drugs and/or alcohol don't mix with automobiles. Not only should he have stayed in the car, he shouldn't have been in the car in the 1st place. He could have easily have been in a fatal car crash which happens frequently in this country.

The bad decision was getting in the car in the first place. When a person drives impaired they will likely do it again because of a successful outcome until it isn't.

I hope this prevents at least one person from making that bad decision.

I call it "time traveling". One minute your at a bar and the next, you're passed out in your front yard. Where did those 3 hours go?
One minute your system is mixed of K and alcohol with a passed out girl in your car, and the next you’re on the phone with your wife…

Advertisement
Depending on the dose of K, you can flat out be knocked on your *** or OD. Combined with alcohol, not a good combo.

Sad, but that's the chance he took. We've all done dumb ****, but he paid dearly for his.
Bruh that **** will destroy u, homies dont even know where they at. I seen my boy dead *** like on some zombie ****.

OCCC, I love ya bro. But the most obvious and logical “answer” or “reasoning” for this type of accident at 6:30am on a Saturday morning is not that he just misjudged the speed of the truck. The most logical theory is that he was either drunk or on drugs.

Not saying .24 isn’t drunk AF, but some people have a higher tolerance than others. We used to say my best friend in high school had a hollow leg. Sumbitch could out drink anybody and still function coherently.

Last edited:
Advertisement
some people black out and are entirely impaired and can still drive a car and do other tasks.
I would say knowing you needed gas is considered other tasks, so I would not lump him into that category. Boneheaded move that is paid the biggest price for and now his family left behind suffers not only that but all of the other details which don't sound so good.

OCCC, I love ya bro. But the most obvious and logical “answer” or “reasoning” for this type of accident at 6:30am on a Saturday morning is not that he just misjudged the speed of the truck. The most logical theory is that he was either drunk or on drugs.

Being drunk/high caused his misjudgment, both in attempting to cross the road, add in him estimating the speed/distance of the vehicles and their ability to hit him.

In the end it was still a lack of judgement. I can promise you had I been that drunk or high, I would not have attempted what he would’ve attempted. I’m older, and have more experience, so that’s my main advantage. For him, it was a catastrophic misjudgment exacerbated by inebriation.

Here’s a quote from some of the back-and-forth, my main point was trying to refute a lot of this “suicide theory“ that was getting thrown around, and at the time we had no idea what his state of sobriety was, and I just didn’t want to assume the worst:

”Whether he was inebriated or just hung over or none of those things who knows? I just don’t want to think the worst about a guy that‘s met a horrible and tragic end. This stuff about him doing it as a suicide sounds crazy to me. Of course anything is possible, but stepping out in front of a moving truck, is usually one of the most uncommon ways to commit suicide. I’m just not seeing it personally. Anyway, to me it’s almost slanderous with no facts to back it up.”

Being drunk/high caused his misjudgment, both in attempting to cross the road, add in him estimating the speed/distance of the vehicles and their ability to hit him.

In the end it was still a lack of judgement. I can promise you had I been that drunk or high, I would not have attempted what he would’ve attempted. I’m older, and have more experience, so that’s my main advantage. For him, it was a catastrophic misjudgment exacerbated by inebriation.

Here’s a quote from some of the back-and-forth, my main point was trying to refute a lot of this “suicide theory“ that was getting thrown around, and at the time we had no idea what his state of sobriety was, and I just didn’t want to assume the worst:

”Whether he was inebriated or just hung over or none of those things who knows? I just don’t want to think the worst about a guy that‘s met a horrible and tragic end. This stuff about him doing it as a suicide sounds crazy to me. Of course anything is possible, but stepping out in front of a moving truck, is usually one of the most uncommon ways to commit suicide. I’m just not seeing it personally. Anyway, to me it’s almost slanderous with no facts to back it up.”
I’m not trying to feed the theory, but was wondering if the ME report would clearly state if it was suicide or not.

I’m not trying to feed the theory, but was wondering if the ME report would clearly state if it was suicide or not.

I don’t think that the Medical Examiner would know his state of mind, so there would need to be multiple witnesses that confirm that his actions were consistent with someone committing suicide, and I don’t believe that has happened, or there would need to be a video where it was clear that he was attempting to commit suicide by stepping in front of a truck, and just standing there.

Advertisement
Back