DVD to FIU as CB coach

y'all making a mountain out of a mole hill with this one.

He's the exact type of coach you have in your system early - as an alum - do the GA/Analyst thing for a little bit...now go learn how to do this on your own. When he was here as a CB Coach, he was not good. Sorry...he wasn't. Miami was 102nd in pass defense ypg. He's got a lot of potential as a recruiter, but its a brass tacks job...he hasn't really landed any major recruits despite developing good relationships with them and when we gave him a shot at on-field CB coach job, the pass defense was terrible.

He's got potential as a coach, especially in college where he seems up for the grind where many DB coaches would rather just go to the NFL, but he's got to learn to fly. If he's good, he'll be back.
Ehh, he did land us our current all american.. Even when most in house wasnt feelin the kid

But agree overall he needs to go out and develop more.. Wish him luck

Advertisement
y'all making a mountain out of a mole hill with this one.

He's the exact type of coach you have in your system early - as an alum - do the GA/Analyst thing for a little bit...now go learn how to do this on your own. When he was here as a CB Coach, he was not good. Sorry...he wasn't. Miami was 102nd in pass defense ypg. He's got a lot of potential as a recruiter, but its a brass tacks job...he hasn't really landed any major recruits despite developing good relationships with them and when we gave him a shot at on-field CB coach job, the pass defense was terrible.

He's got potential as a coach, especially in college where he seems up for the grind where many DB coaches would rather just go to the NFL, but he's got to learn to fly. If he's good, he'll be back.
How is this strictly on the CB's coach?

Advertisement
It’s telling that the only on-field role he was able to land was at FIU. Clearly the college football market doesn’t view him as highly as some on this chain do. Decent recruiter and below average on field coach at this point who needs to continue to learn/develop.

I don't believe for one second Mario promised DVD the CB Coach job, and then reneged. @Brooklyndee even said that Rumph would help DVD learn the ropes.

nawww.gif

Advertisement
Did we? Shiiddd looking at his position room, I can't tell!
DVD elite at finishing second for top croots. After Cormani and the mandarin oranges tweet, he lost a lot of faith in me. This board grossly overrated him but think after a few years cutting his teeth, he could be the guy.

It’s telling that the only on-field role he was able to land was at FIU. Clearly the college football market doesn’t view him as highly as some on this chain do. Decent recruiter and below average on field coach at this point who needs to continue to learn/develop.
in terms of on field coach, he spent a year doing it at this level. he was convinced to stay here turning down other potential gigs to cut his teeth. he wasnt gonna get an on field role here anytime soon and saw that. mario clearly valued his recruiting. i hope he succeeds at FIU

DVD elite at finishing second for top croots. After Cormani and the mandarin oranges tweet, he lost a lot of faith in me. This board grossly overrated him but think after a few years cutting his teeth, he could be the guy.
100% facts

Advertisement
Incredible. Y’all are in here talking about how great of a coach and recruiter a guy is, that took a position at FIU? The CFB market doesn’t think he’s very good if the best he can do is a position coach at one of the worst programs in America. But I’m sure y’all know better than people that do this for a living.

thats fair. as you said, Mario ****ed this whole situation up (as he did last year w the staff which I hope this is a fluke situation for Mario bc there were way too many staff building mistakes from a veteran HC that are rookie mistakes imo). dont promise recruits hes going on field if you come and then not anticipate guys getting ****ed behind the scenes if it doesn't happen ESPECIALLY when you still have an employed DB Coach who never got fired
Did Cormani sign here?

Mario has been big about talent acquisition.

He knowingly put himself in a bind to acquire talent (Cormani).

DVD coach didn’t get Cormani here (yes it was partly out of his control) but he still wants the position? He even got a pay raise to reward him for his efforts.

I’m not going to trash him but we agree he isn’t some coaching savant.

His strength is recruiting. Gotta land the big fish to get that leverage.

Incredible. Y’all are in here talking about how great of a coach and recruiter a guy is, that took a position at FIU? The CFB market doesn’t think he’s very good if the best he can do is a position coach at one of the worst programs in America. But I’m sure y’all know better than people that do this for a living.
i think this is ONLY partly true because he probably wanted to stay in Miami and he had very few choices. So it was either UM or FIU.

Advertisement
i think this is ONLY partly true because he probably wanted to stay in Miami and he had very few choices. So it was either UM or FIU.
I don’t believe that for a second. If a legit P5 school came offering he would have gone. If they did and he refused, he’s shouldn’t be taken seriously bc he’s clearly not serious about his future as a coach.

The market told him what he’s worth and it’s not an on-field coaching spot at least right now.

I wonder if FIU hadn’t had an opening would they have pushed for him.

Seems like a Charlie Strong situation where he’s salty he didn’t get a position he felt he deserved.

Advertisement
Back