DVD as a CB coach

Lol I always felt that play has been around forever and well there it is
Granted it improved some... like now, I am pretty sure the entire Oline does not move, they act like they got someone of the D to jump and its a free play and each time our entire Dline barrelasses through... but the Oline? they just hold still, QB rolls out as far as he can and throws it back. Back in the day in that clip, they had a few guys pass block then pretty quickly pulled to set up the screen which likely tips off a few secondary and LB if they are reading their keys. Still ****es me off. But I guess this is prob how teams feel when Lashlee runs that lil fake QB dive then every time hit a WIDE open Mallory or Chaney or Rooster lol

Advertisement
I know nothing about coaching, like who teaches what, etc. But it seems like tackling would be more of a top down thing. As in, if Manny/Baker want tackling approached a certain way, then that’s what the position coaches will teach. Middle management, so to speak. And DVD being timid/a poor tackler when he was here doesn’t mean anything as far as coaching goes. Do as I say, not as I do, as my mother used to tell me.

There’s guys far more knowledgeable like @Coach Macho @LuCane and some other guys that coach or have played in the secondary at the collegiate level that can weigh in. But I’d think teaching hips, leverage, ball tracking/reading the WRs eyes... that kind of stuff would fall on the CB coach more than tackling and, to a lesser extent, alignment. Tackling, alignment etc seem more like macro issues to me, where as the nuances are micro that can be taught by a position coach.

Again, idk **** and this could be completely off base.
You're not wrong.

Hey, guys, this Steve Jobs guy has approached me about investing in some company but he's a college dropout, so I turned him down. What an idiot.

/in all seriousness, judging him now by his knowledge back in HS ain't fair. Hopefully, he's learned and evolved and is ready to keep learning, because he is in no way ready yet.

You make some points no doubt, but that was over 10 plus years ago.

I look where I was 10 years ago and I know Ive grown leaps in bounds in my profession from training, classes and experience. When i started my profession 18 almost 19 years ago I was super green...my older experienced co workers had to help me "line up" and get into the right position at times. Now I have achieved the level of instructor and teach my younger guys on a daily basis

Im gonna wait to pass any judgements on DVD until we see the players in practice or on live action. I think its a fair thing to do.
Absolutely everyone can grow and as I've thought about it... I take the blame for impulsive initial reaction to the hiring. I only want him to succeed.

My main concern is the X's and O's of this defense and whether or not we have enough "new blood" in the room that can offer a different and informed perspective to shake things up from a schematic standpoint.

Advertisement
Back