DVD as a CB coach

I don't think it's really fair to compare his understanding of a defense when he was in highschool to now as a cb coach. If doing and teaching were the same most coaches wouldn't be coaching.
Right. What’s wrong with people. Like the guy has been sitting on his *** since he graduated and learned nothing. WTF cares how he was a player. It’s how he teaches now. Give the guy a chance and let’s see how he does. Btw some of his former team mates are very happy for him and know he’s ready for this challenge.

Advertisement
Right. What’s wrong with people. Like the guy has been sitting on his *** since he graduated and learned nothing. WTF cares how he was a player. It’s how he teaches now. Give the guy a chance and let’s see how he does. Btw some of his former team mates are very happy for him and know he’s ready for this challenge.
All for giving him a chance and didn’t mean to infer I wasn’t. i just don’t think with the current state of our defense we’re in the best position to be giving people their first shot where they can learn on the job like others posters have mentioned. The scheme has issues and needs a shake up.

Advertisement
Really not trying to rag on the guy at all. I'm just not sure about how much he brings as a COACH. Recruiter I'm sure he's solid... but I went to school at the same time as he did (2007-2011) and know some of the guys who played with him but they were skeptical of the hire.

The consensus was that he wasn't a "cerebral player" aka wasn't good with the playbook when he was playing. Apparently he always had to be told where to line up by the Safetys or LBs. But he was fast enough to where he could get himself back into position. Sean Taylor apparently was the same way but he was... Sean Taylor.

In short, DVD is not going to be a guy to help with the game plan/chess match aspect of coaching the defense.

In terms of teaching technique, he was never one to go out and make a one on one tackle... so they were skeptical on how he would be able to coach a younger guy to the go out and do the same, In terms of coverage technique "turning your head around" they felt he could help with that aspect of being a DB.

Again, not trying to rag on him. He was always a good guy whenever I interacted with him. I think that whatever his coaching deficiencies are will hopefully be covered by T-Rob. I just pray his value as a recruiter is good enough to where he's a value add overall.
It's a title. TRob will be in full control of the DB's.

But on the recruiting side we now have a legitimate stud recruiter(Trob) going into these kids homes.

I don't think it's really fair to compare his understanding of a defense when he was in highschool to now as a cb coach. If doing and teaching were the same most coaches wouldn't be coaching.
True. I really hope he succeeds because he’s a good guy. I just don’t know how much he adds as a teacher.

Advertisement
Many brain dead posters on this site. Guy played in the League for 6 years and this poster said the guy is clueless, LOL. What a joke

He did, but he stuck around longer than he should have due to a time on a stopwatch...

Dude was in the league 6 years and totaled 17 tackles, 1 interception, no sacks.

My concern is making the jump from the recruiting role to the coaching role. When he was JUST a recruiter, you essentially try and become best friends with the kid, boost 'em up, talk shop bs.... can he turn a switch from being buddy/buddy with the kid recruiting him then be able to coach a kid and give him **** when he messes up?

DVD seems to be a player’s coach. Like you said, it’s still to be seen what he brings teaching wise but the kids like him and it looks like he can recruit.

Regardless, TROB has full control of the DB room.
It may be a case where he’s a superlative recruiter and we need that.

Advertisement
This. Lots of guys are great on the chalkboard but can't put it together on the field, and vice versa. This is especially true at the QB position but it applies to others as well. Besides there's a reason why he's swapped roles with Rumph - contrary to the narrative on here Rumph is an excellent teacher of the CB position and he will be around (along with TRob) to develop DVD. But only one of them can be a direct recruiter and it's better for that person to be DVD.

Again fans like to paint in broad brushstrokes where everything is either the best or the worst. The recent changes are good on the surface but it's the moves that weren't made that are problematic (Baker and Patke).

Listen fellas, DVD being CB coach is a few things...

1. he will assist and learn from one of the best in the biz in TRob.. being groomed

2. I think TRob gives this UM job 3 years and off to the NFL

3. Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting.... those Broward kids love him and he will land some really good CBs...

4. many recruits credit DVD for them coming to Miami even though he us in recruiting department... now imagine him having to be able to go in home now....

Advertisement
It may be a case where he’s a superlative recruiter and we need that.

That’s the only thing that make sense in keeping DVD. I believe his main role will be recruiting and being under TROBs wing for the time being.

Rumph was neither a good recruiter or teaching at least DVD brings one quality.

Bama ain't going to steal from us anymore. Diaz and the crew ain't going to be sleepwalking on a OPENING game especially against ALABAMA . Hope he's got a rabbit out of his hat

Advertisement
Back