DVD as a CB coach

Walsh5

Recruit
Really not trying to rag on the guy at all. I'm just not sure about how much he brings as a COACH. Recruiter I'm sure he's solid... but I went to school at the same time as he did (2007-2011) and know some of the guys who played with him but they were skeptical of the hire.

The consensus was that he wasn't a "cerebral player" aka wasn't good with the playbook when he was playing. Apparently he always had to be told where to line up by the Safetys or LBs. But he was fast enough to where he could get himself back into position. Sean Taylor apparently was the same way but he was... Sean Taylor.

In short, DVD is not going to be a guy to help with the game plan/chess match aspect of coaching the defense.

In terms of teaching technique, he was never one to go out and make a one on one tackle... so they were skeptical on how he would be able to coach a younger guy to the go out and do the same, In terms of coverage technique "turning your head around" they felt he could help with that aspect of being a DB.

Again, not trying to rag on him. He was always a good guy whenever I interacted with him. I think that whatever his coaching deficiencies are will hopefully be covered by T-Rob. I just pray his value as a recruiter is good enough to where he's a value add overall.

Advertisement
I believe this is more of a recruiting role as many have said. Keep in mind all schools added an additional assistant a few years ago which is why this situation where trob has the DB room and DVD has cb's is the first time I can remember two position coaches overlapping like that.

I would have liked to pull someone in for LB's but oh well, if DVD can help with recruiting and him and Trob can get the DB room to realize it's potential then not much to complain about

no way what GIF by NBA

Advertisement
Diaz doesnt value corners.. He almost went to blows back at texas when he was dismantling them from being DBU and the DB coach wanted his head.. So now he just puts a inexperienced yes man to teach them to set the edge and will have them soo far back in cover 3 it doesnt matter.. .. Atleast DVD is personable and can recruit

The real question is will DVD have the corners finally turn their heads, lmaoo

Advertisement
Tin foil hat here:

Maybe, DVD intentionally focuses his coaching game based on his personal weaknesses. Maybe, he allocates more time for coaching tackling technique because he now knows the importance?

Diaz doesnt value corners.. He almost went to blows back at texas when he was dismantling them from being DBU and the DB coach wanted his head.. So now he just puts a inexperienced yes man to teach them to set the edge and will have them soo far back in cover 3 it doesnt matter.. .. Atleast DVD is personable and can recruit

The real question is will DVD have the corners finally turn their heads, lmaoo
That explains why Colbert transferred from Texas to Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
DVD is a glorified grad assistant. Period. Why hire a top end DB coach if you aren't going to let them coach the entire unit? It's stupid as ****. Instead of allocating resources correctly, Manny continues to have two coaches at a position, that doesn't need it. HIRE A DEDICATED SPECIAL TEAMS COACH. If you are going to be calling your own defensive sets, HIRE SOMEONE THAT CAN COACH LBs at a high level. WHY IS BAKER STILL ON THE STAFF? Miami literally has 2-3 spots wasted on the staff. Good luck competing when you are against the wall organizationally, and you manage to waste spots anyway.

DVD will coach LCBs, and TRob will coach RCBs.

Excellent allocation of resources.
I was thinking the same, TRob doesn’t need any help. Now Patke and Baker on the other hand with those LB’s? Good lawd I don’t wanna see that 4-0-4 defense again next year.

Rob will coach all DBs. DVD will help and learn but he's on the defensive staff for recruiting period. I'm ok with DVDs promotion especially with Rob on staff but we needed to do something else with the patke/baker situation. Neither can recruit or coach so now we just have a bunch of dead coaching weight with no recruiting.

Advertisement
Back